If you’re looking for a healthy snack that will give you sustained energy throughout the day, look no further than chia pudding. This delicious treat is made with chia seeds, which are an excellent source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Chia pudding is also super easy to make – simply combine chia seeds with your favorite milk, sweetener, and flavorings, and let it sit overnight in the fridge. In the morning, you’ll have a thick, creamy pudding that’s perfect for on-the-go snacking.
Read on to know more about the amazing health benefits of chia pudding, as well as some tips on how to make your own.
How Healthy Is Chia Seed Pudding?
Chia seeds are one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Just one ounce (28.35 grams) of chia seeds contains 9.75 grams of fiber, 4.68 grams of protein, and a whopping 14% of the Daily Value (DV) for calcium (3). Chia seeds are also a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, and zinc.
But that’s not all – chia seeds are also one of the best plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, per ounce, they contain more omega-3s than salmon! Omega-3 fatty acids are important for maintaining heart health and possibly preventing chronic diseases like diabetes and cancer (6).
That said, what does all of this mean for chia pudding? Well, simply put, it means that chia pudding is an extremely healthy snack option. Here are some specific health benefits of chia pudding:
1. It’s A Low-Calorie Snack
If you’re watching your weight, chia pudding is a great snack option. One ounce (28.35 grams) of chia seeds contains just 138 calories (3). And since chia seeds are very filling, you’ll probably only need a small portion of chia pudding to feel satisfied.
2. It Keeps You Full
Chia pudding is also a great snack for people who are trying to lose weight or maintain their weight, because it helps you feel full and prevents you from overeating. This is due to the high fiber content of chia seeds – fiber takes longer to digest, so it helps you feel full for longer (5).
3. It’s Good For Your Digestive Health
The high fiber content of chia pudding also makes it good for your digestive health. Fiber promotes regularity and prevents constipation. It also helps keep your gut healthy by feeding the beneficial bacteria in your intestines (7).
4. It May Lower Your Risk Of Heart Disease
The omega-3 fatty acids in chia pudding may also help lower your risk of heart disease. These healthy fats help keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check, and they also protect against inflammation (10).
5. It’s Good For Your Bones
Chia pudding is also good for your bones. This is due to the high calcium content of chia seeds – as we mentioned earlier, chia seeds contain 14% of the DV for calcium. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth (2).
Read More: Keto French Toast Recipe – Low Carb And Healthy Breakfast Idea
6. It May Help Lower Your Risk Of Diabetes
The fiber in chia pudding may help lower your risk of diabetes, or help manage your blood sugar if you have diabetes. Fiber works to slow down the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream, which helps keep your blood sugar levels stable (4).
7. It’s Anti-Inflammatory
Chia pudding is also a great snack for people who suffer from inflammation (8). This is due to the omega-3 fatty acids in chia seeds, which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties (9).
8. It’s Rich In Antioxidants
Chia pudding is also rich in antioxidants. These nutrients protect your cells from damage and may help reduce your risk of some chronic diseases (8).
9. It May Boost Your Energy Levels
If you’re looking for a natural energy boost, chia pudding is a great option. This is due to the high protein and fiber content of chia seeds, which help keep your blood sugar levels stable and give you lasting energy.
10. It’s Perfect For On-The-Go Snacking
Chia pudding is also perfect for on-the-go snacking. Since it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge, it’s easy to grab a quick snack when you’re on the go.
If you’ve mustered up the courage to crush your weight loss goal, let Betterme take the sting out of this demanding process. Our app will help you restructure your habits, remold your life and crank up your fitness results!
What Does Overnight Chia Pudding Taste Like?
Overnight chia pudding has a tapioca-like consistency and a mild, nutty flavor. The flavor of chia pudding gets stronger the longer it sits, so if you’re not a fan of the taste of chia seeds, make sure to eat it within 24 hours.
You can also add sweeteners, fruit, and other flavorings to your chia pudding to make it more palatable. Some popular additions include honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and fresh fruit.
Worried about the texture of chia pudding? Don’t be – the texture is actually quite pleasant, but you can also use a high-speed blender to make your pudding.
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can also put your chia pudding in a food processor or use a handheld mixer. The texture becomes smoother and more like traditional pudding after being blended.
How To Make Overnight Chia Pudding
Making overnight chia pudding is incredibly easy. All you need is a mason jar, a spoon, and some ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need (1):
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener, optional
- Strawberries or other fruits for topping
- Add the chia seeds to a mason jar.
- Pour in the almond milk and stir until well combined. Let it sit for a few minutes, then stir again.
- Add the honey (if using) and stir until dissolved.
- Cover the jar with a lid and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to eat, give the pudding a good stir and top with fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Read More: Keto Lunch Recipes To Prepare In Under 30 Minutes And Power You Through The Afternoon
Which Is The Best Milk For Overnight Chia Pudding?
There are many different types of milk you can use for your chia pudding, including dairy milk, almond milk, soy milk, and coconut milk. All of these options work well and will give you a delicious, creamy pudding.
If you’re looking for a non-dairy option, almond milk and coconut milk are both good choices. Soy milk also works well, but some people find the flavor to be a bit too strong.
If you’re not concerned about dairy, then using regular cow’s milk is perfectly fine. Whole milk will give you the creamiest pudding, but you can also use skim milk or low-fat milk.
How To Store Overnight Chia Pudding
Overnight chia pudding can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week. Make sure to store it in an airtight container so that it doesn’t dry out.
If you want to make a larger batch of pudding, you can easily double or triple the recipe. Just make sure to use a larger jar so that everything fits.
Can You Freeze Overnight Chia Pudding?
Yes, you can freeze chia pudding. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container so that it doesn’t absorb any odors from your freezer. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw the pudding in the fridge overnight.
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
Which Flavors Go Well With Chia Pudding?
There are endless flavor combinations you can try with your chia pudding. Some of our favorites include:
- Cinnamon – give your pudding a warm, spicy flavor with a dash of ground cinnamon.
- Chocolate – add some cocoa powder to your pudding for a rich, chocolatey flavor. You can also top your pudding with chocolate chips or shaved chocolate.
- Vanilla – add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (or the seeds from one vanilla bean) to give your pudding a classic flavor.
- Fruit – top your pudding with fresh or frozen fruit for a burst of sweetness. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and bananas are all great choices.
What Other Ways Can I Serve Chia Pudding?
There are many different ways you can enjoy your chia pudding. Here are a few ideas:
- Top it with granola or other crunchy toppings for a delicious breakfast or snack.
- Use it as a base for smoothies – add your favorite fruits and veggies to make a nutritious smoothie.
- Swirl in some peanut butter or Nutella for an extra-indulgent treat.
- Make chia pudding pops – pour the pudding into popsicle molds and freeze for a healthy and refreshing snack.
The Bottom Line
Overnight chia pudding is a delicious and healthy snack or breakfast option. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking. Chia pudding is also packed with nutrients and boasts numerous potential health benefits.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 3-Ingredient Chia Pudding (2021, feelgoodfoodie.net)
- Calcium Intake in Bone Health: A Focus on Calcium-Rich Mineral Waters (2018, mdpi.com)
- Chia Seeds (2019, fdc.nal.usda.gov)
- Dietary Fiber Intake and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Umbrella Review of Meta-analyses (2018, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Dietary fibre and satiety (2007, onlinelibrary.wiley.com)
- Essential fatty acids in health and chronic disease (1999, academic.oup.com)
- Health benefits of dietary fiber (2009, academic.oup.com)
- Nutritional and therapeutic perspectives of Chia (Salvia hispanica L.): a review (2015, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Inflammatory Processes (2010, mdpi.com)
- Omega-3 Supplements and Cardiovascular Diseases (2014, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)