Lasagna is an Italian pasta dish that typically consists of flat, wide noodles layered with sauce and cheese. It is usually baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Lasagna can be made with various types of sauces, but it is traditionally made with a meat-based sauce. It can also be made ahead of time and reheated, plus it freezes well, making it a convenient option for busy weeknights. Lasagna is also a popular dish to serve at large gatherings and potlucks. If you’re on a low-carb diet, chances are you’ve been missing out on some of your favorite comfort foods. Even worse — you might be running out of quick, easy, and tasty meal ideas. If this is the case, we have some good news for you: keto lasagna is a thing, and it’s just as delicious as the real deal. Our list is not short on keto pasta substitutes, and we have plenty of ideas to make all the high-carb ingredients work in a low-carb dish.
What Can I Use Instead of Lasagna Sheets?
Lasagna sheets are typically made with wheat flour, which is a high-carb ingredient. To make keto lasagna, you’ll need to find a low-carb alternative to traditional lasagna sheets.
There are a few different options you can use in place of lasagna sheets:
- Low-carb noodles made from scratch with cheese dough: Use a blend of mozzarella and cream cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning to make a type of flat bread that’s firm enough to slice into lasagna-sized strips.
- Low-carb noodles made from scratch with fathead dough: Fathead dough is a low-carb and gluten-free alternative to traditional wheat dough. It’s made with mozzarella, cream cheese, egg, and almond flour.
- Zucchini slices: Use a mandoline slicer to thinly slice zucchini lengthwise. You can either leave the slices raw or blanch them in boiling water for a minute or two to soften them up. This is a great chance to sneak some extra veggies into your lasagna!
- Eggplant slices: Slice an eggplant into thin strips using a mandoline slicer. These can also be left raw or blanched in boiling water. They come with just as many nutrients and fiber as zucchini slices, so it’s a great way to add some extra nutrition to your lasagna.
- Cabbage or Iceberg lettuce: Both of these vegetables can be thinly sliced and used in place of lasagna sheets. Cabbage is a great option because it’s sturdy and won’t wilt as quickly as lettuce.
- Thinly sliced deli meat: Meat makes a great, high-protein alternative to lasagna noodles. Sliced turkey, chicken, or beef work well. You can also use thinly sliced ham. Make sure the meat you buy isn’t sweetened with honey as this will add unnecessary carbs to your dish.
If you’re looking for a more traditional lasagna experience, you could also use premade low-carb lasagna noodles. These are bought dry and need to be cooked before using.
Be sure to read the label carefully, as some brands of lasagna noodles might have ingredients that you want to avoid.
What Type of Sauce Should I Use for Keto Lasagna?
There are many different types of sauce you could use for your keto lasagna. A traditional meat-based sauce is always a good option, but there are also vegetarian and vegan sauces that would work well in this dish.
What Can I Use Instead of Tomato Sauce?
Tomato sauce is a common ingredient in lasagna, but that can be high in carbs, depending on the type you use. If you’re watching your carb intake, look for a sugar-free tomato sauce or make your own using crushed tomatoes and spices.
There are a few different ways you can make your own low-carb tomato sauce:
- Add crushed tomatoes to a pan with garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until the sauce has thickened. This is a quick and easy way to make tomato sauce without any added sugar.
- Use a food processor or blender to puree canned tomatoes with garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. This is a slightly more time-consuming method, but it results in a smoother sauce.
- Roast cherry tomatoes in the oven with garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Once they’re roasted, add them to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. This method takes a bit longer, but it yields a rich and flavorful sauce.
Looking for a way to break the vicious cycle of weight loss and tone up all the jiggly parts? Watch the extra pounds fly off and your muscles firm up with the BetterMe app!
What Can I Use Instead of Ground Beef?
Ground beef is a common ingredient in lasagna, but it’s not the only option. If you’re looking for a different protein to use in your keto lasagna, ground chicken, turkey, or pork are all good options. You could also use crumbled tofu or tempeh if you’re looking for a vegetarian protein option.
If you do use ground beef, be sure to choose a leaner variety with as little fat as possible. Extra-lean ground beef has the least amount of saturated fat and calories, making it a better choice for those on a keto diet.
What Cheese Should I Use in Lasagna?
There are a few different types of cheese you can use in lasagna, but mozzarella is the most common. If you’re looking for a richer flavor, you could also use a blend of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Ricotta cheese is another option, but it’s higher in carbs than mozzarella, so it’s not ideal for those on a keto diet.
What Other Ingredients Can I Add to Lasagna?
There are a few different ways you can change up the ingredients in lasagna to make it your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Add cooked sausage, crumbled bacon, or sliced ham to the lasagna for an extra hit of protein.
- Stir in some spinach, kale, or other greens into the sauce or filling for an extra nutrient boost.
- Use a different type of cheese in the filling or topping, such as cheddar, provolone, or Asiago.
- Stir in some sun-dried tomatoes, olives, or artichoke hearts into the filling for an extra burst of flavor.
- Top the lasagna with pesto or a sprinkle of fresh herbs before serving.
Keto Lasagna Recipes
Below are a few keto lasagna recipes to get you started:
Keto Lasagna with Cheese Dough Noodles (2)
Make your own keto-friendly lasagna noodles using a cheese dough recipe. This dish is high in fat and calories, but it’s perfect for an indulgent weekend meal.
Ingredients for the noodles:
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 pound ground beef (I get my grass-fed beef here)
- 1 ½ cups Marinara Sauce, divided (get the recipe here)
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Directions for the noodles:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder until well blended.
- Fold in mozzarella cheese until evenly distributed.
- Spread the cheese dough into the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough is firm and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the fridge before you slice it into noodles.
If you tend to let yourself off the hook, raise the white flag when things get tougher than you expected, send yourself on an unconscious binge-eating trip – BetterMe app is here to help you leave all of these sabotaging habits in the past!
Directions for the filling:
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, and Italian seasoning over medium heat until beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Stir in 1 cup of Marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To assemble, spread ¼ cup of Marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish. Add one layer of noodles, then beef sauce. Top with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese, and cover with another “noodle” layer. Repeat these steps.
Keto Zucchini Lasagna (4)
Layer slices of zucchini with rich meat sauce and cheesy filling for a lighter take on classic lasagna.
- 3-4 large zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef I used extra lean ground beef
- 3 1/2 cups keto spaghetti sauce or sugar free marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or tasty
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and with all liquid squeezed out
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Slice zucchini thinly using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife. Place zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 20-30 minutes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain fat. Stir in spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, cheddar or tasty cheese, egg and spinach.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup meat sauce on the bottom of the dish. Layer zucchini slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly.
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture over zucchini and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering of zucchini, ricotta mixture and meat sauce. Sprinkle it with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until lasagna is golden brown and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Keto Eggplant Lasagna (1)
If you’re looking for a lasagna that’s hearty and filling, this eggplant dish is perfect. It’s made with layered slices of roasted eggplant and filled with a tasty sauce.
Ingredients for the Meat Sauce:
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Marinara sauce (or more – see notes**)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Ingredients for the Roasted Eggplant:
- 20 oz Eggplant (about 1-2 depending on size; sliced lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1/4″-1/2″ thick)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Ingredients for the Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large Egg
Ingredients for Cheese Topping:
- 2 cup Mozzarella cheese
Directions for the Roasted Eggplant:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush eggplant slices lightly with olive oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Place eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Directions for the Meat Sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any excess fat and remove from heat.
- Stir in salt, pepper, marinara sauce, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
Directions for the Cheese Filling:
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg until well combined. Set aside.
- Assembling the Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- To assemble, spread the roasted eggplant slices on the bottom of the dish. Pour half of the meat sauce over eggplant and spread evenly.
- Spread the cheese filling over the meat sauce and top with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Keto Lasagna Recipe with Deli Meat (3)
Use chicken or turkey deli meat in this low-carb lasagna recipe for a lighter take on the classic dish. The thinly sliced deli meat takes the place of traditional lasagna noodles, making this dish much lower in carbs and adding some extra protein.
- ¾ pound of sliced chicken or turkey (from the deli counter)
- 1 pound of ground beef or Italian sausage
- 12 oz of Rao’s Marinara Sauce or low sugar tomato sauce
- 10 tablespoons of Whole Milk Ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the fat and set the beef aside.
- Once the beef is cooked, add in the marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the lasagna, start by spreading ground beef and sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Next, layer deli meat slices over the sauce.
- Spread ricotta cheese over the deli meat, and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat these layers until all ingredients are used up (you should have 2-3 layers).
- Bake the lasagna at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re following a keto diet or are just looking for a low carb lasagna recipe, this dish is sure to hit the spot. Use deli meat, zucchini, or eggplant noodles in place of traditional lasagna noodles to keep the carb count low. Top with cheese and your favorite marinara sauce for a delicious and satisfying meal.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- EASY KETO EGGPLANT LASAGNA RECIPE (2020,wholesomeyum.com)
- JUST LIKE THE REAL THING” KETO LASAGNA (2011,peaceloveandlowcarb.com)
- Low Carb Keto Lasagna (2020,ketofocus,com)
- KETO ZUCCHINI LASAGNA (2021,thebigmansworld.com)