There’s no question that hamburgers are one of America’s all-time favorite foods. Ground beef, bacon, onions, and cheese all come together in one delicious package that’s perfect for summer grilling (or indoor cooking, any time of year). But if you’re trying to stay keto you might be wondering whether hamburgers are off-limits.
The good news is that hamburgers can definitely be part of a keto diet. In fact, there are a number of keto-friendly hamburger recipes that are both delicious and easy to make. Whether you prefer your burgers with or without a bun, there’s a recipe here that’s sure to please.
Keto Hamburger Patty Recipes (3)
The best ground beef for burgers is 80/20 ground chuck, which has a good fat-to-protein ratio. But if you’re looking to cut down on fat you can use leaner ground beef (just be aware that your burgers will be less juicy as a result). To make your patty:
- Combine the ground beef, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix together well with your hands.
- Form the mixture into patties that are about ½-inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. If you’re making slider-size burgers, make them smaller accordingly.
- Place the patties on a plate or baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (this will help them hold their shape when cooking).
- Season the patties with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Grill, cook in a skillet, or bake the burgers until they’re cooked to your preference.
Read More: Keto Cauliflower Recipes To Try Today!
Keto Burger Buns (2)
If you want to enjoy your burger on a bun there are a few keto-friendly options available. You should be able to buy low-carb hamburger buns at most grocery stores.
Some popular low-carb burger bun brands include:
- Tomato slices
- Portobello mushroom caps
- Lettuce leaves
- Low-carb tortillas or wraps
- Or, if you’re feeling ambitious, you can make your own keto burger buns at home using a recipe like this one:
- 3 cups shredded cheese mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese together in a large bowl for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted. Stir until well combined.
- Add the warm cheese mix, almond flour, baking powder, and eggs to a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and a dough forms.
- Dust your hands with almond flour, then divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten into a bun shape. Brush the tops of the buns with a little bit of egg.
- Place the buns on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
If you tend to let yourself off the hook, raise the white flag when things get tougher than you expected, send yourself on an unconscious binge-eating trip – BetterMe app is here to help you leave all of these sabotaging habits in the past!
Keto Hamburger Toppings
- caramelized onions
- avocado slices
- cheddar cheese
- fried eggs
- jalapeño peppers
- onion rings
As far as condiments, you’ll want to stick with keto-friendly options like mustard, mayonnaise, and BBQ sauce.
Keto Hamburger Casserole Recipes (1)
You can enjoy a hamburger without all the fuss by making a hamburger casserole. This type of dish is usually made with ground beef, cheese, and low-carb vegetables like broccoli or green beans. It’s a hearty, one-dish meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.Here’s a delicious keto hamburger casserole recipe to try:
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups cheddar grated
- 3 cups green beans
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until browned. Drain fat and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, tomato paste, pepper, and salt. Whisk until smooth and cook for 1 minute.
- Add eggs and heavy cream to the pan and scramble until thickened.
- Mix beef and egg mixture together then spread into the baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese and green beans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Read More: Keto Fruits: The Best Low Carb Fruit Options
The Bottom Line
Hamburgers are a classic American food, and there’s no reason you can’t enjoy them on a keto diet. Whether you choose to make a traditional burger or go for a casserole version, there are plenty of delicious options available.
Just be sure to pick low-carb toppings and buns (or ditch the bun altogether) to keep your meal keto-friendly.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- BEST KETO GROUND BEEF RECIPES (2022, bestbeefrecipies.com)
- KETO BUNS (n.d., thebigmansworld.com)
- Low Carb Keto Burger Recipe (2021, trifectanutrition.com)