Are you looking for a delicious appetizer to impress your guests? Italian stuffed mini peppers are a hassle-free dish that will make their taste buds sing! Whether you are hosting a dinner party, a backyard BBQ, or a casual family hangout – this tasty treat will instantly become the talk of the night. The flashy colors and fantastic flavor of fresh herbs will create an unforgettable experience for everyone. And the best part is – these little delights are easy enough to whip up in minutes. You won’t have to worry about spending all night in the kitchen prepping something special.
Why Are Italian Stuffed Mini Peppers So Popular?
These stuffed mini-peppers belong to the family of jalapeno poppers. Their mild flavor, less meat content, and Italian origin make them stand out.
It’s pretty easy to assemble and serve them. You can gather the ingredients the night before and simply toss them in the oven a few moments before the meal.
This is a scrumptious option for those who prefer a gluten-free diet.
What Do You Need To Make Italian Stuffed Mini Peppers?
Here is what you should arrange beforehand when planning to make sweet Italian sausage stuffed mini peppers:
This recipe really comes alive with the addition of Italian sausage, which can be mild for a delicate flavor or hot for a spicy kick. Sweet basil helps to complement it too. The herb’s delicate sweetness balances out the sausage’s salty richness and the chillies’ subtle heat. Rich with antioxidants and antibacterial properties, the leaves bring plenty of health benefits too (1).
If you like extra spicy food, then go with hot Italian sausages by all means.
Any meltable cheese that doesn’t clash with other flavors will work fine. Anything from white cheddar to pepper jack might work. Mozzarella is typically a hit for its sharp cheddar and easy-melting nature. Not to forget its high probiotic element that may boost your immune system (2).
An 8-ounce bag of mini sweet peppers should do the trick. But if they are not available, grab a 16-ounce bag instead. The recipe calls for one pound of meat. By doubling the ingredients, you can make the most of your pound.
Crushed Red Pepper
This brings more flavor than your usual spicy zip. You can increase or decrease its amount according to your preferences.
Opt for a full-fat cream or low-fat cheese (as per your preferences).
Don’t let the absence of ingredients stand in your way. You can improvise with what is available in your pantry. This is what cooking is all about – being creative and enjoying!
Read More: Pepper Health Benefits: Why Your Diet Should Have Bell Peppers, Cayenne Pepper, And Black Pepper
How To Make Mini Stuffed Peppers?
Now that you are ready to make stuffed mini sweet peppers with Italian sausage, you must follow these directions to prepare them.
Servings: 8 servings, Calories: 175 kCal, Cooking time: 30 minutes, Diet: Gluten-free
- 12 mini peppers
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- Cut the peppers in half (lengthwise) and leave the stems on. Scoop out its membrane and seeds.
- Crumble and brown the sausages in a skillet. Add cream cheese, sour cream, and half of the shredded cheese. Then, heat the content until all cheese melts.
- Spoon the filling into pepper halves, and fill them completely. Arrange them in a shallow baking dish, and sprinkle them with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the peppers at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and fresh cracked pepper.
This recipe is the courtesy of www.mysequinedlife.com
Recipe Tips And Tricks:
- Like other peppers, you don’t have to peel the outer layer of these peppers to make them chewable.
- Drizzle enough oil on the peppers before roasting, as too much oil will cause the filling to seep out of the pepper. It would also help to pat the peppers with a paper towel before stuffing them. This will remove the excess moisture.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise when slicing. This will provide a broader and flatter surface for both halves lying on the sheet pan. It will make them stable and less prone to rollover.
- The easiest way to stuff these mini peppers is with your hands.
- If the stuffing oozes out, consider placing them tightly packed, standing up in a baking dish.
Substitutes And Variations:
- If you can’t find the peppers in a grocery store, try substituting cubanelle peppers with a sweet flavor.
- Canned and peeled whole tomatoes can work as a substitute for fresh plum tomatoes.
- If you prefer a non-vegetarian version, reduce the amount by ½ cup and add some crumbled sausage to your filling.
BetterMe app will provide you with a host of fat-frying fitness routines that’ll scare the extra pounds away and turn your body into a masterpiece! Get your life moving in the right direction with BetterMe!
How To Make Cream-Stuffed Sweet Mini Peppers?
If you are hunting for a quick appetizer, these cream cheese-stuffed mini peppers will cure your woes. Like sausage stuffed mini peppers, they are stuffed with cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions, and spices. Together they make a cheesy appetizer that is an instant hit at the dinner table.
Cherry on top – it gets ready within 25 minutes!
Servings: 24 servings, Calories: 67 kCal, Cooking time: 18 minutes, Diet: Gluten-free
- 12 mini sweet peppers
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup of sliced green onions
- ¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of parsley or cilantro (for garnishing)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Add minced garlic, softened cream cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix them with a blender until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Now stir cooked bacon pieces, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions until they are combined.
- Fill the paste with bell peppers. Ensure that the filling is slightly mounted on top of the peppers.
- Bake them at 425F for 16-18 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven.
- Top the peppers with chopped parsley or cilantro to enhance the presentation.
This recipe is the courtesy of www.adashofmegnut.com
Recipe Tips And Tricks:
- You may have some leftover filling if the size of the peppers is small. So, add more peppers if needed.
- Pre-cook the bacon according to your liking.
- Substitute fresh garlic with garlic powder if you don’t have the garlic. ½ tablespoon of garlic powder is sufficient for a family serving.
- You can easily half or double the ingredients according to the batch of peppers required.
Read More: Are Bell Peppers Good For You? Nutrition And Health Benefits Of These Vegetables
What Can I Serve With Italian Stuffed Mini Peppers?
Decisions may get tricky when you plan to include sweet Italian sausage stuffed mini peppers as an appetizer for dinner. You have to look for a dish that complements the peppers well.
If you are unsure how to design the whole meal course with Italian stuffed mini peppers, the following list might help.
Check out the following sides that make a striking combo with pepper:
Celery Salad With Apples
Celery Green Apple Salad with Walnuts makes a delicious and nutritious side dish to accompany delectable stuffed peppers. This winter salad is an ideal way to get your daily serving of nutrients.
For best results, use whole celery instead of pre-chopped hearts – the leaves add intense peppery flavors you won’t miss out on. If time permits, prepare this tasty treat in advance. Lemon juice helps keep apple slices fresh while dressing overnight and adds extra crispiness to the celery.
Honey Glazed Carrots
Dazzle your dinner guests with glazed carrots, a vibrant and delicious side dish that takes only ten minutes to create. Tasty and packed with nutrients like beta-carotene, these golden bites can be the perfect accompaniment to any meal – especially those petite sausage stuffed mini peppers.
Heat butter in a pan before adding diced sweet onions for extra flavor. Simmer canned sliced carrots together with honey and chicken or vegetable stock until lightly coated, then finish off by seasoning it all with salt & pepper plus some fresh or dried parsley for earthy notes.
Simple No-Knead Bread
Would you like a delectable homemade deliciousness? We have got the perfect recipe for you!
This tasty no-knead French bread is super simple to make and is ready in 5 minutes. All you need are all-purpose flour or cake flour, yeast (instant/fast-acting dry), sugar & salt, plus warm water and melted butter.
It could be challenging to resist the temptation of slicing right away, but let your freshly baked loaf cool off on the rack first – about five to ten mins should do just fine.
Seasoned Onions And Mushrooms
Sauteed mushrooms and onions make a perfect side to those stuffed mini sweet peppers with Italian sausage. You can whip up this fantastic meal with just these few components in no time.
Although quite simple, this dish is bursting with flavors thanks to ingredients like butter, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh mushroom slices (or any other variation!).
The thinly sliced onion adds sweetness along with the fragrant garlic cloves, plus salt and pepper!
Betterme will keep you laser-focused on your weight loss journey! Nutrient-packed meal plans, fat-blasting workouts, galvanizing challenges and much more. Try using the app and see for yourself!
Pan Fried Broccoli
Packed with flavor and nutrition, pan-roasted broccoli and garlic make a delish combo Italian stuffed mini peppers with ground beef. The aromatic blend of olive oil, raw garlic, lemon juice and optional red pepper flakes creates a savory masterpiece that’s sure to be loved by everyone.
It only takes moments to prepare – just mix up some fresh ingredients like chopped broccoli florets in cooking oil, crushed cloves of garlic, and salt. Then roast until it becomes golden brown!
For an added kick, try throwing on cooked bacon pieces or Parmesan cheese while it cooks for even more deliciousness.
Brussels Sprout Salad
This delicious salad combines the nutty flavor of Brussels sprouts with sweet, crunchy red apples and cranberries. Take it to another level by adding a homemade lemon vinaigrette made from olive oil, tart lemons, Dijon mustard and honey or maple syrup. Together, they will have your taste buds dancing!
Don’t forget to add sliced almonds for texture and goat cheese, red onion and garlic. All you’ll need is some salt & pepper to bring out its unique flavors.
Sauteed Green Beans
You can also try tender green beans sautéed with flavorful additions such as zesty lemon, aromatic garlic, crunchy pistachios, and savory Parmesan cheese. This recipe will turn any Italian stuffed mini pepper into a gourmet meal. Also, you can customize it with cooked bacon or other favorite ingredients for picky eaters who don’t think veggies could be this tasty.
Now that you have various side dishes to go with the Italian stuffed mini peppers, it’s time to try out the recipes and take your taste buds on a joy ride!
The Bottom Line
Italian stuffed mini peppers are a delicious and easy appetizer to make. They can be served with various side dishes, making them perfect for any occasion. We hope you try out the recipes mentioned in the article and enjoy the savory delights of these mini-peppers.
Let us know how they turned out!
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 10 Health Benefits of Basil Leaves (2022, www.healthifyme.com)
- Is Mozzarella Cheese Healthy? Here’s What a Dietitian Says (2021, www.eatingwell.com)