If you want to enhance your body functioning and assist weight loss (4), the water challenge is precisely what you need. This challenge relies on numerous benefits of proper hydration and focuses on intertwining your lifestyle with healthy drinking habits.
What is the water challenge?
The rules of the water challenge are simple – drink a full gallon of water daily for 30 days and enjoy the results. Sweetened beverages and alcohol are prohibited.
If you’ve mustered up the courage to crush your weight loss goal, let Betterme take the sting out of this demanding process. Our app will help you restructure your habits, remold your life and crank up your fitness results!
Why do I have to drink that much water?
This is what your body actually requires. Many people don’t drink enough water, which harms their health and prevents them from achieving weight loss goals. Moreover, sufficient water intake is associated with amelioration of your skin, hair and nail condition (3), relieving joint pain (2), and lessening the number of headaches (1).
Am I allowed to drink only plain water while on the water challenge?
Plain water is boring and bland to some, but you can always jazz things up. Use the tips below to make your water challenge experience smooth and pleasant.
Tips to keep your body hydrated:
- Begin your day with a 16-ounce glass of water first thing in the morning. This will boost your energy levels. You can throw in a couple of lemon slices to make refreshing lemon water – which has myriad health benefits of its own.
- Unsweetened caffeinated drinks do count during the water challenge. Guzzle tea or coffee all you want, just don’t add any cream or sugar. You may start enjoying it and soon enough the absence of sugar will let the original taste shine through.
- Skip the sweet beverages like coconut and watermelon water – they will only make you thirstier later on.
- Skip the sparkling water if it makes you bloated or gassy.
- Eat vegetables and fruits! Just one apple is equivalent to half a glass of water. And it still counts!
To sum up, hydration is essential for your health. Thus, doing a 30-day water challenge, while surely challenging to some, will immensely help your body, rejuvenate your skin and fast-track your weight loss. Needless to say that people who engage in regular physical activity, sweat off much of the water they’ve stored up, so it’s crucial to replenish electrolytes after wrapping up a workout.
So, don’t be nervous to do the water challenge and don’t drop it after a few days! You’ll see your body adjusting to proper hydration and finally demanding as much water as it really needs.
If you want to do even more for your body, why don’t you supplement healthy diet with some exercise? Check out this 20-min Full Body Workout at Home.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Dehydration (n.d., medlineplus.gov)
- Fluid replacement following dehydration reduces oxidative stress during recovery. (2009, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Mild dehydration affects mood in healthy young women. (2012, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older adults (2009, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)