1500 Calorie Diet For A Blistering Weight Loss Effect
Have you heard about the 1500 calorie diet for weight loss? Some people say that it is highly effective, while another claim that it will make you feel sluggish and starving. Some people say that this food mode is dangerous, but at the same time many use it for the treatment of several diseases. Weight loss methods are interesteing for people, and this time we want to tell you how to get 1 500 calories a day, lose some extra weight, and stay healthy. Are you also interested?
Why 1500 calorie diet?
It sounds easy – just try not to get more than 1 500 calories per day and lose some extra pounds, but let us look at it with more details. Medical studies have proven that if a person reduces their calorie intake by 500-1000 calories per day, they are likely to lose 1-2 pounds of weight per week (3). For most women, this comes down to an intake of 1200-1500 calories per day and for men, 1500-1800 calories per day to promote weight loss at a healthy pace. Of course, these figures are not precise and accurate for every single person. Several key factors play an important role here.
Here are the main factors in calculation of the required number of calories:
- Life activity
- Full age
It is enough for the average person to consume from 2 000 to 2 500 calories daily, with some variation based on the above factors. This amount is able to maintain the current mass of the body. Based on the foregoing, we can conclude that eating 1 500 calories daily is a sparing diet, and falls in the middle of the weight loss ranges for men and women as mentioned above. This simple meal plan allows you to remove extra pounds painlessly and without starving.
To make this diet effective you must remember the mandatory rules:
- Be sure to prepare yourself mentally. It is necessary to take your actions not as torture, but rather as a victory over yourself.
- Always carry a small number of vegetables or fruits. This will help, especially at the initial stage, not to experience constant hunger.
- Drink fluids. Daily water intake should be 1 and ½ to 2 litres.
- Refuse spicy food. Spicy spices may enhance hunger, and this is extremely undesirable.
- Forget about quick snacks. Quick, convenient foods are often high in calories and low in nutrients.
- All heavy foods should only be consumed before or during dinner (3). Snacking late in the evening can really add on to your calorie intake for the day.
These are some common information about the diet.
BetterMe app will provide you with a host of fat-frying fitness routines that’ll scare the extra pounds away and turn your body into a masterpiece! Get your life moving in the right direction with BetterMe!
Now, let us look at food mode example.
1500 calorie diet plan
Here we want to share with you a simple example of this type of meal plan. Remember, before trying any food mode you should consult with a specialist, and make sure that it is safe and appropriate for you (3).
- millet porridge with pumpkin
- 50g low-fat cottage cheese
- hibiscus tea
- one banana
- beef goulash with buckwheat
- hibiscus tea
- a slice of rye bread
- stuffed peppers
- green tea with honey
- chicory with skim milk
This example may be considered as a 1 500 calorie meal plan for women, and now we want to talk a little more about recommendations for men.
Some features of the 1500 calorie diet for men
The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute reports that an adult man requires from 2 000 to 3 000 calories daily, and even more if he has much physical activity (1). According to Harvard Health Publications 1 500 calories is the lowest amount a man should eat daily to lose weight (2).
Pay attention that fewer than 1 500 a day is not good for man’s health that is why you should carefully plan your daily ration. At this meal plan, you get a calorie deficit that may result in 1- to 2-pound weight loss per week, but these numbers depend on your metabolism (5).
Some special recommendations for men:
- Do not forget about protein and grains. They increase satiety and energy expenditure, which is necessary for weight loss.
- Fiber, abundant in whole grains, also boosts satiety because it digests slowly in your body.
- Pay attention that when eating 1 500 calories per day, men should get at least 5.5-6.5 ounces of protein foods and 6-8 ounces of grains.
- Another important fact is that the man eating 1 500 calories a day needs 3 cups of dairy foods and about 6-7 teaspoons of food oils each day (3).
Take note that this is not the whole list of features for men who decided to lose some extra weight with the help of this dietary plan, so here we want to encourage you again to consult with a doctor about your personal diary plan.
1500 calorie diabetic diet
People use it not only for weight loss but also for the treatment of certain diseases. Diabetic patients should follow a moderately hypocaloric diet with a deficit of 500-750 kcal, but not less than 1 500 kcal per day for men and 1 200 kcal per day for women. At the same time, it is important to ensure an adequate content of all basic nutrients in the meal plan: proteins should account 20%, fats – no more than 30%, and carbohydrates (mostly slowly digested) – 50% of the calorie intake.
It is necessary for the diet to have an optimal content of mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids (6).This means consumption of fatty varieties of meat and poultry, as well as dairy products with high-fat content is excluded. It should contain a sufficient amount of vegetable oils such as: olive, sunflower, corn and soy.
For patients with diabetes who have lipid metabolism disorders and a high risk of vascular complications, it is important that the diet has an adequate level of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
The main sources of protein for people with diabetes are low-fat poultry, beef and pork, fish, and low-fat cottage cheese in the daily menu.
1500 calorie keto diet
There is also a 1 500 calorie keto diet, this is a so-called ketogenic diet, but with consuming not more than 1 500 calorie a day. The ketogenic diet is a type of ration with a high proportion of fat, a normal proportion of protein and a low proportion of carbohydrates (4).
The ketogenic diet is mainly used in medicine, it causes the body to burn much more fat than carbohydrates. You should not consider this food mode as a simple fat burning diet, people use it for medical purposes and the diet has its side effects.
We may see several pros and cons regarding the 1 500 calorie diet, it means that one should not try this food mode without consultation with a doctor. The diet may appear really effective but it is important to follow a well-regulated menu because there is a huge possibility to get some scarce of necessary nutrients.
If you want your weight loss plan to be efficient, don’t forget to do some exercise on the regular basis. Check out this 20-min Full Body Workout at Home.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Balance Food and Activity (2013, nhlbi.nih.gov)
- Calorie counting made easy (2017, health.harvard.edu)
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 (2015, health.gov)
- New Insights Into the Mechanisms of the Ketogenic Diet (2017, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Rate of weight loss can be predicted by patient characteristics and intervention strategies (2012, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Very low-calorie diets: Is There a Place for Them in the Management of the Obese Diabetic? (2000,.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)