There are numerous reasons why weight loss has become quite prevalent in today’s society. Many people want to lose weight as a way to transform their bodies while others take on weight loss plans to reduce their risk of several health conditions. A common problem has to do with the pace that most people want to take. A large percentage of them, perhaps even you, want to drop something like a trouser size a day, no less! You might know that rapid weight loss is dangerous to your health. Drastic tactics to help you lose weight fast should be left on the shelf.
Experts recommend gradual weight loss to avoid any health issues or risks. Despite this, hardly anyone wants to heed the warnings. For this, you will find these people looking for ways on how to lose 15 pounds in 30 days or less.
Although we do not recommend it, we have compiled practices that can help you lose this much weight. But before acting upon any of our ideas, remember to seek professional help.
Can You Lose 15 Pounds in 30 Days?
Many people want to transform their bodies quickly, if possible, even overnight. You can bump into so many searches online about how you can lose 15 pounds in two weeks, 30 days, or less. It is important to lose weight, especially if you have any of the following health issues (2):
- Difficulties in breathing. Having a large body may hinder your lungs from fully expanding, thereby causing some breathing problems.
- Osteoarthritis. Being overweight can put more strain on your joints and bones, leading to pain and stiffness.
- High cholesterol.
- Kidney disease.
- Type 2 diabetes. You ought to lose weight, especially belly fat as it contributes to insulin resistance.
The truth of the matter is that one may be able to shed 15 pounds in 30 days. That being said, just because it is possible does not mean it is healthy, sustainable, or that the weight loss is fat. Experts advocate for weight watchers to strive to lose between one to two pounds weekly (15).
One pound of fat is about 0.45 kgs of fat. It contains 3, 500 calories. To lose these calories, you will have to burn at least 500 extra calories daily. Burning an extra 500 calories daily will make you burn 3, 500 extra calories every week (500 calories x 7 days) (15).
In this case, in a month it is safe to try and target losing 4 to 8 pounds. Despite this, many people do not like or want such a slow pace. Such people often want rapid weight loss which means more than 8 pounds a month. The problem with such a pace is the following:
- You may end up losing not only fat but also water and lean tissue (i.e. muscle).
- It might result in dehydration, gallstones, electrolyte imbalance, and malnutrition (9).
- It might cause headaches, fatigue, constipation, hair loss, muscle loss, irritability, dizziness, and menstrual irregularities.
To avoid all these health complications, it is better off for you to target losing fewer pounds weekly or monthly. However, if you are still focused on losing 15 pounds in 30 days, consider these strategies:
Changing Your Lifestyle
Perhaps the most important thing you must do to lose 15 pounds in 30 days is to change your lifestyle. You need to adopt a healthier lifestyle that will guide you to healthy eating and living. Without this, there will be fewer to no chances of attaining this weight loss goal.
Experts recommend that you adopt a more active lifestyle if you want to lose weight fast and effortlessly (3). You need to ditch that inactive lifestyle and mindset and quit being a couch potato. Such a lifestyle is dangerous to your health as it affects your body in the following ways:
- It makes your body burn fewer calories. As a result, you tend to gain weight instead of losing it.
- It may lead to the loss of your muscle endurance and strength. This may occur since you are highly inactive and hardly use your muscles.
- Inactive lifestyle may lead to poor blood circulation.
- It may lead to a hormonal imbalance.
- It can increase the risk of your body having chronic inflammation.
- Inactive lifestyle can lead to weak bones and the loss of various minerals.
- It may affect the proper functioning of your immune system.
- It increases your risk of health conditions such as stroke, type 2 diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
To help you get rid of this sedentary lifestyle, experts recommend you start being more active. You can become active by doing the following (3):
- Moving around. Do not just watch television on the couch. Try to skip some rope as you enjoy a show. If not, get a treadmill or stationary bike and either run or cycle while you get entertained.
- Taking walks. When you are bored in the house, try and avoid taking a nap. Instead, go for a walk in your neighborhood. You can make it more fun by walking your pet or by asking your friends or siblings to join you.
- Engaging in physical work. Do not just hire someone to do your gardening or housework. Do it yourself to help you embrace this new active lifestyle.
- Taking the stairs. This is a great method to implement in your workplace. Ditch the elevator and always use the stairs to help you become more active.
- Exercising. You can also download some home workouts and then exercise from the comfort of your home. Remember to verify with your trainer if an exercise program is suitable for you. If not, you can ask them to develop a workout plan for you to help you burn calories and become more active.
Dropping pounds by the dozens without putting yourself through the wringer is everyone’s weight loss pipe dream. But what if we told you that the BetterMe app can make that happen? Keep yourself in prime shape with our fat-blasting workouts, delicious budget-sparing recipes, and body-transforming challenges with our app!
Watching Your Micro And Macro Intake
Micros refer to micronutrients while macros refer to macronutrients you attain from your food.
Macronutrients are vital in your body for energy provision. They also help in keeping you healthy. You attain macros by eating the following foods:
- Fats from oils, fatty fish, meat, olives, dairy, avocados, and nuts.
- Carbs from starchy vegetables, pasta, bread, and grains.
- Proteins from eggs, fish, tofu, beans, and meat.
To lose 15 pounds in 30 days, you need to pay close attention to the carbs you consume for macros. The key is consuming a low-carb diet. Such a diet will limit the calories you get as it limits your carbohydrate intake (6).
Most low-carb diet plans for weight loss will incorporate nutritious carbs and avoid the refined ones. Examples of nutritious carbs include whole grains, high-fiber vegetables like the sweet potatoes, and high fiber legumes.
Refined carbs like white bread, flour, and pasta, and baked products like cookies and candy are to be avoided. They are high in calories but low in fiber and cause your blood sugar levels to rise, which is not convenient for weight loss.
Remember to consume high-protein foods to obtain your macros and also help in watching your weight. High-protein foods like black beans, lima beans, broccoli, salmon, and poultry can help in increasing your satiety (13). Consequently, you will prevent overeating.
On the other hand, micronutrients include minerals and vitamins. Your body particularly needs these two in smaller quantities to perform various body functions. You must eat a balanced diet to help your body receive these minerals and vitamins.
If you are not eating enough, you may suffer from a specific deficiency. For example, if you do not eat enough calcium, you will suffer from a calcium deficiency. Such a deficiency has certain negative health effects such as weak bones.
In this case, you are not required to self-medicate on calcium supplements. You ought to seek medical advice from an accredited doctor to give you the go-ahead on taking any micronutrient supplement (14). It’s always better to prevent a deficiency in the first place by eating enough of the healthy foods that contain vitamins and minerals.
Required Macro and Micro Intake
Experts recommend that you maintain your macro and micro intake within a specific limit. They recommend the following limits:
Adults attaining their macros from these sources should make sure to eat to the following amounts each day (8):
- Carbs: At least 130 g daily, or 45-65% of total calories.
- Protein: At least 46 g for females and 56 g for males, or 0.8 g per kg of body weight.
- Fats: 20 to 35 % of your total daily calorie intake.
The amount of vitamins and minerals that you require tends to vary widely depending on your age. Here is a sample of the recommended intakes for both males and females between 19 and 50 years old:
- Vitamin A: Males-900 mcg, Females- 700 mcg
- Vitamin D: Males- 600 IU, Females- 600 IU
- Iron: Males- 8 mg, Females- 18 mg
- Vitamin K: Males- 120 mcg, Females- 90 mcg
- Riboflavin: Males-1.3 mg, Females- 1.1 mg
- Zinc: Males-11 mg, Females- 8 mg
- Calcium: Males- 1, 000 mg, Females- 1, 000 mg
Limiting Your Food Consumption Before Bed
There are numerous debates on whether or not you should eat before bed. Some people believe it is okay as it helps with suppressing hunger. Others believe it is unhealthy as it can lead to overeating.
Overeating leads to extra calories, thereby jeopardizing your weight loss efforts. Experts recommend that if you do eat at night, avoid eating anything two hours before your bedtime (6). They acknowledge that such an eating habit can lead to weight gain. Similarly, they state that the same behavior can interfere with your sleep quality.
Note that this does not mean you can eat anything and everything two hours before your bedtime. You should select carefully what you eat during this period. Avoid heavy meals after dinner which only add calories. Similarly, avoid eating any junk or processed foods.
Regular consumption of such foods can increase your risk of obesity, heart diseases, stroke, and diabetes. Instead of this, you can consider eating a late-night weight-loss snack. For example, consider eating some nuts, edamame, or celery sticks with nut butter.
These are some expert-approved weight-loss snack options that help with weight loss and control (1). Remember to calculate their total calories, to make sure that they align with your required daily calorie intake.
Following a Weight Loss Meal Plan
One of the best approaches that can help you stick to your weight loss journey is having a meal plan. It will help you be more accountable for what you eat, how much, as well as when you eat. Without a meal plan, the possibilities of what is best to eat will be unclear.
You have so many options, inclusive of both healthy and unhealthy meals. Designing a diet plan will help you focus on more healthy meals that can promote weight loss. It will also help you be accountable for the calories you consume.
Similarly, it will help you make sure that you are eating nutritious and dense meals. It means that such meals consist of all food groups, limiting your chances of acquiring a nutritional deficiency. Here is a sample of a diet plan for a 15 pound weight loss in 30 days:
The first sample is obtained from the Mayo Clinic’s website. It amounts to 1, 200 calories and is as follows (11):
- Half a cup of cooked oatmeal prepared with one cup milk and two tablespoons raisins, quarter cup mango, and a calorie-free drink.
- Quinoa and sweet potato cakes tossed salad with fat-free dressing and a calorie-free drink.
- One pita pizza, three-quarter cup mixed fruit, and a calorie-free beverage.
- One cup sliced bell peppers and two tablespoons hummus.
The second weight loss diet plan that may help you lose 15 pounds in 30 days is from Medical News Today’s website. It entails (12):
- Breakfast muffin with eggs and vegetables.
- Crispy tofu bowl.
- Lentil Bolognese with zucchini noodles.
- Carrot sticks and hummus.
The third sample is also from Medical News Today’s website. It is as shown below (4):
- Gluten-free protein pancakes with a calorie-free beverage.
- Greek grilled chicken and hummus wrap.
- Baked tofu sushi bowls with wasabi tahini sauce.
- A hard-boiled egg.
The last sample is also from Medical News Today’s website. It is quite simple and is as follows:
- Buckwheat pancakes with raspberries and Greek yoghurt.
- Chicken salad with lettuce and corn.
- Sesame salmon, purple sprouting broccoli, and sweet potato mash.
- Whole grain rice cake with nut butter.
Remember to consult a professional before incorporating any lose 15 pounds in 30 days diet plan you find online. Your nutritionist must confirm that it can indeed help in the attainment of such a goal. Additionally, they have to double-check if it helps your body attain all vital nutrients.
Want to build an attention-grabbing bubble butt, blast away fat that’s stored in all the wrong places, spring-clean your diet, turn back the clock on your skin, skyrocket your self-confidence and shatter your insecurities? Check out the BetterMe app and set this plan in motion!
Getting Adequate Rest
You can also lose 30 to 15 pounds naturally by getting enough rest. Contrary to what you may think, sleep loss highly influences weight loss. According to experts, sleep deprivation can increase obesity risk (10).
When you do not get enough sleep, your body shifts its hormonal balance. According to these experts, your body shifts from producing hormones that signal satiety to those that promote hunger. One hormone that is produced to signify hunger is known as ghrelin (10).
As a result, you will end up eating more, which only adds up to your total calorie intake. It might also result in increased food-related impulsivity, which also leads to overeating. Similarly, not getting adequate rest interferes with the balance of your gut bacteria. These bacteria are significant in the maintenance of a healthy metabolism.
When they are tampered with, they affect your metabolism, the process responsible for how fast you burn calories.
Doing High-Intensity Cardio
Whether you love it or not, exercising is one approach that can help you lose weight fast. It is one of the simplest ways to help you burn more calories. To help you lose 15 pounds within this duration, you are advised to do high-intensity cardio.
High-intensity cardio is very effective in most people who are trying to lose weight. It is an interval exercising program that combines rest periods and high-intensity exercises. Unlike steady-state exercising, experts acknowledge that high-intensity cardio yields faster weight loss results (5).
It is because such a program tends to challenge various muscles throughout the regime. It also increases your heart rate as well as how fast you burn calories. However, before you start any high-intensity cardio, there are various things you ought to do. They include:
- Consult with a Doctor. You need to check in with a healthcare provider first before starting any exercise program. Never try a regime without professional consultation, especially if you have any of the following health conditions:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Coronary artery disease
- High cholesterol levels
- Talk to a Trainer. You need to involve an instructor in your fitness journey, regardless if you are in the beginner or advanced fitness level. Their assistance and supervision can help you avoid injuries that may result from your exercise program. Additionally, they will guide you on how to properly use and incorporate weights.
Your instructor might recommend another workout for weight loss depending on your age, body weight, and fitness level. This means that the best workout to help you lose 15 pounds in 30 days can differ. Stick to the routine your trainer has recommended and not to one that works for your friends.
Although it is not recommended, it may be possible to lose 15 pounds in 30 days. This will entail adopting drastic measures all at once which can be dangerous to your health. These include starting high-intensity cardio, changing your lifestyle, and starting weight loss meal plans. Be aware that losing weight that quickly is not safe or sustainable.
Therefore, seek medical and professional help throughout your weight loss program. Be sure to listen to your body and tell your doctor how you feel to avoid any health complications.
The information presented in this article is for general informational purposes only. It does not constitute medical or professional advice. Therefore, seek professional advice or help before acting upon the views expressed in this article.
- 9 healthful snacks to eat for weight loss (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Health problems Related to Obesity (2020, webmd.com)
- Health Risk of an Inactive Lifestyle (2020, medlineplus.gov)
- Healthful recipes for weight loss (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How long will it take me to lose 10 pounds? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How many calories should I eat a day? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How many carbs should dieters eat for weight loss? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Micros vs. macros: Everything you need to know (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Rapid Weight Loss (2019, webmd.com)
- Sleep loss affects your waistline (2017, schiencedaily.com)
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life (2019, mayoclinic.org)
- Weight loss meal plans (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What foods are high in protein? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What is nutrition, and why does it matter? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Why do doctors recommend a slow rate of weight loss? What’s wrong with fast weight loss? (2020, mayoclinic.org)