Acne, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, wrinkles, herpes… the eternal list of skin issues people may struggle with daily. Their causes are different; it can be genetics, inappropriate cosmetics, poor dietary choices, viruses, age, and so much more. Some skin issues also help detect a number of diseases. That’s why ignoring them is not a good solution. Contacting a dermatologist would be the first thing you do to learn about the causes of your skin problem and the means to eliminate this trouble. Maybe you have no particular problems with your skin and just desire to lighten it, making it fresher-looking. No matter your reasons for picking this article, you’ll find out about the top remedy for healthier skin — aloe vera gel. It’s a unique plant that helps people inside and out. Thankfully, it grows around the world and is often utilized as the main ingredient in skincare products. Let’s uncover the key 5 benefits of aloe vera on face overnight together and disclose its possible side effects.
What Is Aloe Vera?
Since it’s important that you know the information about the substance you’ll be applying to your skin, starting with an explanation of our leading cosmetic ingredient is a good idea.
Aloe vera is a plant with thick, pointed, and fleshy leaves that may grow to 12-19 inches. Each leaf consists of a slimy tissue that stores water. This makes the leaf look thick. Its water-filled tissue is the gel people implement in cosmetics and other aloe vera products.
Let’s spice it up with a few engaging facts:
- Egyptians used to call Aloe vera a “plant of immortality”
- Greeks regarded Aloe vera as the “Universal panacea” (2)
Not bad for a simple plant, right?
Now, Aloe vera is widely used in preventing and treating skin problems, constipation, tooth decay, and heartburn.
This plant is also an impeccable source of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Folic acid
- Magnesium (1)
Aloe vera contains antioxidants belonging to a family of polyphenols. Additionally, this gel is known for bacterial, antiseptic, and antiviral properties which speed up wound healing.
Read More: Aloe Vera Smoothie For Weight Loss
What Are The Benefits Of Putting Aloe Vera On Your Face?
Why are people so concentrated on the beauty of their faces? The answer is simple as this is the main body part you pay attention to when you talk to someone. Skin issues are often the reason for low self-esteem and the lack of communication with others.
Even a small pimple can provoke isolation from the whole world: you will go out only in the evening to be less visible, order groceries online instead of trekking your way to the store, and cancel a few meetings with friends as you don’t want them to see this irritating spot on your face.
Definitely, skin problems don’t impact all people in this way, but let’s face it, they do affect our mood a little no matter how confident we are.
Hence, using aloe vera on your face overnight can bring pleasant sensations and surprising benefits.
Let’s disclose the scientifically-backed advantages of aloe vera on your skin:
- Aloe vera soothes your skin from sunburns and helps heal wounds. Summer days have begun and what do they bring to us? Yes, sunburns because many people forget about protective sun lotions. As a topical medication, aloe vera can soothe your skin after sunburns. Research has shown that aloe vera may be effective in healing first and second-degree sunburns. Still, more research should be conducted to confirm this theory.
- Aloe vera helps you fade dark spots. Dark spots can be caused by various factors: you can be exposed to the sun for too long, have acne, or it may be just your aging. Either way, black spots or hyperpigmentation are stubborn. The benefits of aloe vera for skin whitening can combat this problem. Luckily, aloe vera has one compound inside called aloesin that helps lighten up your skin.
- Aloe vera can make your skin more elastic making your wrinkles less visible. What makes your skin younger? – Hydration, of course. Sufficient moisture also helps reduce the visible signs of aging. Additionally, aloe vera produces collagen and elastin fibers in the skin. Therefore, your skin is hydrated, firm, and supple. The benefits of aloe vera on the face overnight for wrinkles are the top reason why individuals incorporate it into their skincare products. Studies show the ability of aloe vera to decrease the appearance of fine wrinkling.
- Aloe vera may alleviate the appearance of acne on your skin. Acne is an irritating skin condition causing spots and pimples on different parts of your body. It usually starts during puberty. Causes for acne shift from menstrual cycles to stressful situations. You already know that aloe has antimicrobial properties that might help acne-prone skin. Additionally, one study demonstrated that the topical use of aloe vera along with tretinoin cream may be effective in treating inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne.
- Aloe vera may treat psoriasis and eczema. Due to some compounds, aloe vera can soothe your skin, reduce inflammation, and moisturize it. Research in 2018, showed people with psoriasis who applied a combination of 50% propolis and 3% aloe vera for 12 weeks noticed an improvement in symptoms. When it goes to eczema, the antioxidant, antimicrobial, and immune-boosting properties may help individuals with symptoms of eczema.
These are the 5 essential benefits of aloe vera leaf on your face overnight. Of course, despite the research, your job is to identify the causes of your skin problems before the treatment. Besides, aloe vera may not be suitable for every person but you’re about to find out more in the segment of side effects.
Looking for a way to break the vicious cycle of weight loss and tone up all the jiggly parts? Watch the extra pounds fly off and your muscles firm up with the BetterMe app!
How To Use Aloe Vera On Face?
A face mask is the perfect way to apply the gel to your face. The good news is that you can make the mask on your own or purchase the cream online. Make sure to watch for the ingredients thoroughly. You can use the mask before turning in, and you can wake up in the morning with a fresher lighter skin. Besides, using aloe vera before sleep can cool out and soothe your skin making it easier for you to fall asleep.
Here’s how you can apply the aloe vera mask on your face:
- Mix aloe and honey in a bowl until you get a spreadable consistency.
- Wash your face with cold water and dry it out with a towel.
- Apply the mask to your face and leave it for a few minutes. Don’t let it sit for longer than 20 minutes, as it can lose its moisturizing effect and potentially provoke irritation.
- Rinse your face thoroughly and pat dry.
- Dab on an occlusive cream or oil to keep the moisture in.
How Long Should You Let Aloe Vera On Your Face?
Before applying aloe vera on your face, make sure you do an allergy patch test. Dab a small amount of gel to the inside of the wrist to check for a reaction. Wait for 24 hours. If the skin starts to swell, itch, or change color do not apply aloe vera to the face (5).
Once the reaction went okay, you can apply a small amount of gel on your face, leaving it for 5-10 minutes, but not longer. Then rinse it meticulously with cool water and gently pat dry.
Does Aloe Vera Clog Pores?
A person’s pores may be large or small depending on the skin type. There are some remedies to alleviate the appearance of large pores, one of them is keeping the skin moisturized and applying special water-based products.
Aloe vera is light for your skin, keeping it moisturized for longer periods. This substance is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t block or clog your pores. Therefore, using pure Aloe vera products will retain your skin moisturized and improve skin integrity.
If you’re having the condition of large pores, you may use other ways to make them less visible, such as:
- Washing your face in the morning and night
- Opting for gel-based cleansers
- Moisturizing your skin daily
- Applying a clay mask
- Removing makeup at night (if you use one)
- Wearing sunscreen (9)
Is Aloe Vera Ice Cubes Good For Skin?
Making homemade aloe vera ice cubes at home is not only possible but vital for your skin.
Here are the possible benefits of frozen aloe vera on your face:
- Prevention and healing of acne
- Lighter skin
- Reducing the appearance of eye “bags”
- Diminishing signs of aging
- Cooling down the effects of inflammation
- Exfoliating your skin
- Making your skin elastic to reduce the appearance of wrinkles
Here’s how you can prepare the aloe vera ice cubes at home:
- Cut off the leaf from the plant with a sharp knife as near to the root as possible.
- Rinse the leaf and gently pat dry.
- Place the cut side down in a bowl and leave it for about 15 minutes allowing the yellow aloe vera latex to drain out and discard it.
- Get rid of the pointed end from the top of the leaf.
- Drain the latex again.
- Press the leaf to soften it.
- Cut the ‘spines’ off both sides of the plant close to the edge.
- Place the leaf flat and slice it down the center from tip to tip, then cut the outer green layer off.
- Lightly scoop out the gel using a spoon or knife blade as very large aloe leaves usually contain solid blocks of gel.
- Wash the gel carefully to clean it.
- Place the gel in a sealable container and refrigerate before use.
- Freeze the aloe vera gel in ice cube trays overnight and use them the next day (5).
Does Aloe Vera Have Side Effects?
There are no crucial side effects of aloe vera on your face. You can apply aloe vera on your face after the patch test as aloe gel is not associated with any serious health risks. It’s important to highlight though that some people may experience irritation or a burning feeling after using gel on dry skin.
Some individuals neglect the patch test and may not even have an idea of their possible allergic reaction. That’s why a patch test is crucial here.
Another adverse effect comes with leaving the gel on your face longer than you’re supposed to. It can cause the skin to dry out. People are advised to leave the gel on the face for not more than 5-10 minutes, and then rinse it gently.
If you tend to let yourself off the hook, raise the white flag when things get tougher than you expected, send yourself on an unconscious binge-eating trip – BetterMe app is here to help you leave all of these sabotaging habits in the past!
How Can I Get Good Skin Naturally?
You can see how effective aloe vera gel is in promoting your skin. But are there any healthy and natural remedies for good-looking skin? Of course! In fact, you don’t need to go through any special cosmetological treatment.
Even if you have a serious skin condition, your dermatologist will advise you on these tips alongside other medications.
Check out the list of skin care tips for healthier skin:
- Drink more water. Water keeps your skin hydrated which improves overall complexion and promotes elasticity (9).
- Protect yourself from the sun. Too much exposure to the sun can cause age spots, wrinkles, and other skin issues. Therefore, using sunscreen and wearing protective clothing could prevent trouble (7).
- Quit smoking. Smoking negatively impacts your skin condition making it look older and less elastic. This is because smoking narrows the tiny blood vessels in the layers of the skin, which decreases blood flow. Also, smoking damages collagen and elastin – fibers that contribute to skin’s elasticity and strength (7).
- Eat well. Make sure you load your body with balanced nutrients, proteins, carbs, and fats (7). Fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains promote your skin looking younger. Processed food, and unhealthy fats, on the contrary, spoil the looks of your skin.
- Exercise regularly. Workouts have versatile benefits. They make your body toned and stronger, develop your flexibility and improve posture. Additionally, regular physical activity increases blood flow to your body, including the skin, and encourages sweating, which is beneficial to your skin. However, always go to shower after exercising. If you leave the sweat on the surface it may clog the pores (9).
The Bottom Line
Aloe vera is a natural plant loaded with a high-water content gel. This gel is widely used in medicine and skin care products. In the following article, you’ve unraveled the key 5 benefits of aloe vera on your face overnight, such as wound healing, skin moisturizing, helping with dark spots, alleviating the appearance of psoriasis and eczema, and making your skin more elastic.
You may apply a gel on your skin or use aloe vera ice cubes. Just ensure you leave it for no more than 10 minutes, and then rinse your face with cold water. Before applying the aloe vera gel on your skin, remember to do the patch test on allergic reactions.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Aloe Vera (2023, webmd.com)
- ALOE VERA: A SHORT REVIEW (2008, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Effect of Aloe vera topical gel combined with tretinoin in treatment of mild and moderate acne vulgaris: a randomized, double-blind, prospective trial (2013, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Evaluation of aloe vera gel gloves in the treatment of dry skin associated with occupational exposure (2003, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- How to use aloe vera on the face (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Is There a Place for Local Natural Treatment of Psoriasis? (2018, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Skin care: 5 tips for healthy skin (2022, mayoclinic.org)
- The efficacy of aloe vera used for burn wound healing: a systematic review (2007, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- What are the best ways to get rid of large pores? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)