Green smoothies are all the rage right now and for a very good reason: they’re incredibly healthy and delicious. Kale, which is one of the main ingredients in this smoothie, is considered to be one of the healthiest foods on earth because it’s high in antioxidants and a variety of nutrients. If you’re looking to get healthier and stronger, this smoothie can definitely help. Read about benefits of kale smoothie below.
What Is A Kale Smoothie?
Kale smoothies are exactly what they sound like: green smoothies that have kale as an ingredient. There are many recipes out there that include kale, but the most common one is:
Kale Smoothie (7)
This smoothie is rich in protein, fiber and can be taken at any time of the day. Here’s how you make it:
- 3 cups kale leaves (removed from tough stalks, loosely packed)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 pear (cored and sliced)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peaches
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey (optional, to taste)
- Start by placing the first four ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue blending until the mixture is smooth enough. Pour in a little more water to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste the smoothie and add some honey if you want it sweeter. Serve immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of kristineskitchenblog.com
Kale Smoothie Nutrition
The exact nutrients in a kale smoothie will depend on the ingredients used. However, with kale as an ingredient, you can expect your smoothie to carry all the nutrients of this vegetable.
A single cup of raw kale (about 20 grams) contains (3):
- Vitamin A: 5% of the DV (mostly from beta-carotene)
- Vitamin K: 67% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 21% of the DV
- Manganese: 8% of the DV
- Calcium: 4% of the DV
- It also contains smaller amounts of several B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, , iron and phosphorus, and more
What Are The Benefits Of A Kale Smoothie?
Here’s what kale smoothies do for you:
They Tone Your Skin And Give It A Healthy Glow
Kale is rich in carotenoid precursors to vitamin A, which aids collagen production and keeps skin looking youthful. Drinking the smoothie on a regular basis might help improve the quality and tone of your skin (4).
They Help In Weight Loss And In Keeping You Fit
Kale is low in calories and rich in fiber, which makes it a great food for people on a diet. It’s also very filling and can keep you energized throughout the day without making you feel sluggish or tired (2).
They Provide You With More Energy
Kale may seem like a rather boring vegetable, but it’s actually packed with iron and other minerals that can help improve your metabolism. Consuming this smoothie on a daily basis will significantly boost your energy levels without making you feel nervous or jittery (4).
They Keep Your Bones Healthy
One of the most important benefits of kale smoothies is that they can help strengthen your bones and prevent them from becoming brittle. This is thanks to the calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin K content in kale (4).
They Help You Detox
Kale contains nutrients that support liver function and others that promote bowel movement, which aids the natural detox process of your body (4). If you want to help your body get rid of all the toxins, make sure to drink this smoothie daily for the best results.
They Reduce Inflammation
This green smoothie is loaded with anti-inflammatory ingredients, including ginger and turmeric. Consuming this smoothie regularly might help reduce joint pain and stiffness thanks to its properties that help fight inflammation (4).
They Improve Your Digestion
When your digestive system is working properly, you feel energized throughout the day and you don’t get tired or uncomfortable after eating certain foods. Kale is full of fiber that can improve your digestion, reduce constipation and prevent other digestive complications (4).
They Fight Diseases
Kale smoothies are great for reducing the risk of many chronic diseases due to their high antioxidant levels. Some studies have found that antioxidants may help reduce the chances of developing certain cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease and diabetes (4).
They Keep Your Eyes Healthy
Kale is rich in carotenoids which your body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for eye health. Kale is also rich in the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin which can help fight diseases of the eyes which are common as we age (8).
If you tend to let yourself off the hook, raise the white flag when things get tougher than you expected, send yourself on an unconscious binge-eating trip – BetterMe app is here to help you leave all of these sabotaging habits in the past!
They Strengthen Your Heart
Although kale contains very little fat, the small amount it does contain largely consists of omega-3 fatty acids that are very good for your cardiovascular health. They can help reduce the risk of many heart problems, including high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. This smoothie is also rich in potassium, which keeps your heart healthy by regulating its rhythm and reducing the risk of heart disease (4).
They Increase Your Lifespan
People who consume a diet rich in fruits and vegetables reduce their risk of having a stroke and they also lower their chances of developing heart disease, some cancers, and other serious health problems (4). Eating kale or drinking kale smoothies can help you increase your vegetable intake and possibly help you prevent chronic disease and live longer.
They Boost Oral Health
If you have a problem with your teeth, kale smoothies can help improve the condition of your mouth and protect it from infections. This is because they contain antioxidants that fight off bacterial infections in the mouth and they may also kill germs that cause bad breath (4)
Benefits Of Kale Smoothie: Weight Loss
For weight loss is one of the most controversial reasons people give for adding kale to their smoothies, but some studies have shown that this green leafy vegetable can be very helpful when it comes to weight loss.
Due to its low-calorie, nutrient-dense profile, kale can help you reduce your calorie intake and improve the quality of your diet. However, it’s not a magical weight loss solution.
Ultimately, weight loss comes down to calorie control, so if you want to lose weight, you should avoid consuming more calories than your body can burn.
This means making better food choices, exercising regularly and drinking plenty of water. If you add kale to your smoothies, you might be able to reduce your calorie intake while ensuring that you meet all of your body’s daily nutrient requirements.
What Can You Add To Your Kale Smoothie For The Best Nutrition?
There are several ingredients that you can add to your kale smoothie in order to make it more nutritious. However, keep in mind that some of them should be added only when the smoothie is about to be consumed because they don’t last for too long.
Kale smoothies are usually made with fruit because they’re sweet and can balance the bitterness of the kale. However, the best fruits to add are those that provide you with healthy benefits and promote your body’s antibacterial defense system without adding too much sugar. Some of the most suitable options are lemons, strawberries, oranges, grapefruit and cherries.
Kale smoothies are not only nutritious but also delicious because they’re made with natural ingredients that might have their own benefits. If you want to make the most out of your kale smoothie, consider adding some spices such as cinnamon, ginger or cayenne pepper.
Nuts And Seeds
If you want to add some protein to your drink and improve its nutritional profile, try adding nuts like walnuts or almonds (or their nut butters). You can also use seeds like pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds for a delicious and crunchy kale smoothie.
Nuts and seeds are a great source of heart-healthy fats and they can provide your body with sustained energy.
Fresh herbs such as parsley or mint leaves can provide your kale smoothie with a refreshing taste that you will enjoy even more.
Some herbs may offer additional health benefits and make your drink more fragrant.
What’s The Best Way To Prepare And Store Kale For Smoothies?
You can prepare and store your kale ahead of time so you can use it when you’re making smoothies. Here are several methods:
Kale Ice Cubes
If you want to use kale in your smoothie and make the most out of its nutrients, consider freezing it ahead of time. You can prepare ice cubes by washing the leaves, cutting them into large pieces and blending them. Pour the blended kale into an ice cube tray and freeze them. Portion them into small bags and store them in a freezer. Whenever you want a kale smoothie, just add some frozen cubes to your blender.
Kale Smoothie Bags
You can also freeze kale in individual servings by using plastic sandwich bags. Wash the leaves thoroughly with cold water, remove the stems and chop the leaves into small pieces. Place the leaves in the sandwich bags, and store them in a freezer.
When you want to use the kale, just add the frozen pieces into your blender along with other ingredients.
Spray Freeze Your Kale
Kale can also be stored in a freezer by using spray-freeze packs or a food saver machine. This method is very efficient in preserving nutrients and preventing bacteria from multiplying.
Chopped kale can be stored in small portions in storage baggies. You should then take out however much you need to blend into smoothies throughout the week and place the remaining amount back into the freezer.
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
How Long Does Kale Last?
Kale leaves can last for several weeks when they’re properly washed, cut and stored in the freezer. This is because kale freezes well and bacteria cannot grow on frozen produce.
When it comes to fresh kale, you can store it in a refrigerator and use it for about 5 days. To prevent wilting, separate the leaves from the stem and place them into an airtight container or bag. You should then store them in a fridge and use them as soon as possible.
Kale Smoothie Recipes Worth Trying
Here are some excellent smoothie recipes options to choose from:
Kale-Ginger Detox Smoothie (5)
Looking for a way to clear all that residual holiday “cheer” from your system? Well you’re in luck. This smoothie is loaded with lots of super fruits and vegetables that will get your body in peak condition in no time. Here’s how you make it:
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cups kale leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and mix well.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth. You can pour in more almond milk to help in the blending process of the frozen fruit and achieve desired consistency.
- Remove and serve as is or chill in a refrigerator.
This recipe is courtesy of ohmyveggies.com
Kale Pineapple Smoothie (6)
This recipe provides a delicate balance between creamy green kale pineapple smoothie with banana and some greek yogurt to deliver the ultimate taste. It’s filled with lots of healthy protein and nutrients that will keep you full for hours. Here’s how you make it:
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped kale leaves, stems removed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or any milk you prefer
- 1 frozen medium banana, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, creamy or crunchy as preferred
- 1 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
- Add the ingredients – kale, almond milk, banana, yogurt, pineapple, peanut butter, and honey – in the order listed, in a blender.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth. Add some more milk as needed until you achieve your desired consistency. Enjoy immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of wellplated.com
Pistachio Ice Cream Kale Green Smoothie Shake (9)
This smoothie is extra satiating seeing as to how it’s filled with healthy fats and protein from the nuts. It also delivers a milkshake-like texture that adds into its overall aesthetic appeal. Here’s how you make it:
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) milk substitute or filtered water
- 1 cup kale leaves, about 3 large leaves
- 2 bananas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup pistachios, hazelnuts, or raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons honey or 1/4 cup raw pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups ice (1 cup of ice if using frozen bananas)
- Start by placing all the ingredients in a jar in the order listed above.
- Now first blend on variable speed 1 then progressively increase the blending speed to maximum. Blend for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Remove and enjoy
This recipe is courtesy of blenderbabes.com
Chocolate Kale Smoothie (1)
This recipe can be used as a post workout shake, meal accompaniment, healthy dessert or just a good snack. Here’s how you make it:
- 6 large washed kale leaves
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 scoops or tablespoons of chocolate protein powder
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Handful of ice
- Optional blackberries and/or teaspoon chia seeds for topping
- Add all the ingredients except ice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add in the ice and blend again. Add any toppings of your choice and serve immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of thegreencities.com
The Bottom Line
Whether you want to make kale smoothies because you’re looking for a delicious drink or because they can benefit your health, you’ve made the right choice. This nutrient-packed vegetable is easy to prepare and store, and the smoothies you make with it can help improve your health. You might be surprised to find out how delicious kale smoothie recipes are!
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Chocolate Kale Smoothie (2013, thegreencities.com)
- Fiber Intake Predicts Weight Loss and Dietary Adherence in Adults Consuming Calorie-Restricted Diets: The POUNDS Lost (Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies) Study (2019, pubmed.gov)
- Kale, raw (2019, usda.gov)
- Kale: Review on nutritional composition, bio-active compounds, anti-nutritional factors, health beneficial properties and value-added products (2020, tandfonline.com)
- Kale-Ginger Detox Smoothie (2017, ohmyveggies.com)
- Kale Pineapple Smoothie (n.d., wellplated.com)
- Kale Smoothie (n.d., kristineskitchenblog.com)
- Nutrients for the aging eye (2013,nih.gov)
- Pistachio Ice Cream Kale Shake (n.d., blenderbabes.com)
- The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial (2012, nih.gov)
- Vitamin B6 level is associated with symptoms of depression (2004, pubmed.gov)