You’ve finally seen your New Year’s resolutions through and have started going to the gym regularly. Great job! However, now that you’ve made working out part of your daily routine, don’t underestimate the importance of convenience during your newfound journey. Part of what will make or break your motivation to go to the gym is how prepared you feel when you’re getting ready for a workout. After all, who wants to waste time rummaging through a messy gym bag, trying to find a clean pair of socks? Or have their headphones power off mid-run because they forgot to charge them? To make your post-workout life a little easier (and your pre-workout life less stressful), we’ve compiled a list of must-have items that you should always have in your gym bag. Trust us, once you’ve checked everything off this list, you’ll be thanking yourself the next time you’re standing in front of your gym locker.
1. Women’s Gym Bag Essentials For Hygiene
Sweat, bacteria, and dirt can easily linger on workout clothes and equipment. That’s why it’s important to have a few key hygiene items in your gym bag to help you feel refreshed and clean after a sweaty session.
This is especially important if you’re heading to work, school, or another engagement directly after your workout.
Always remember to pack these women’s hygiene essentials in your gym bag:
- Some types of body cleansers: Shower gel, shampoo, and dry shampoo; the list is endless and varies depending on personal preference.
You could decide to take a full shower (including washing your hair) at the gym, or you could just use a few products to help you feel refreshed post-workout.
- Deodorant and/or Perfume: Choose a deodorant that neutralizes odors rather than just masks them with fragrance. This is very necessary for hot and humid weather, or if you’re prone to sweating a lot.
Wear perfume or body spray post-workout to make you feel put-together and refreshed for the rest of your day.
- Oral hygiene products: This includes items like toothpaste, a toothbrush, floss, and mouthwash. Maintaining good oral hygiene is important for your overall health, so make sure to pack whatever you need to keep your mouth clean and refreshed (2).
- Feminine hygiene products: Because let’s face it, periods don’t care if you’re trying to stay active. Always be prepared with whatever you need, whether that’s tampons, pads, or a menstrual cup.
- Hair accessories: If you have long hair, it’s a good idea to pack some hair ties, bobby pins, or a headband to help keep your hair out of your face while you’re working out. A hair brush or comb is a must if you plan on showering at the gym.
2. Women’s Gym Bag Essentials For Clothing
Of course, you can’t forget the most important part of your gym outfit: the clothes! Depending on the type of workout you’re doing, you’ll need to pack different items. But there are a few key clothing items that every woman should have in her gym bag, no matter what.
- A good sports bra: A supportive sports bra is an absolute must for any type of workout. It will keep you comfortable and allow you to move freely, without having to worry about your breasts bouncing around or being in pain.
- Workout pants or shorts: Again, the type of pants or shorts you need will depend on the type of workout you’re doing. But make sure they’re comfortable and won’t restrict your movement.
- A breathable shirt: A moisture-wicking shirt is ideal, as it will help keep you cool and dry during your workout. But any type of breathable shirt will do.
- Socks and shoes: The right pair of socks can make a world of difference in your workout. They should be comfortable, breathable, and provide enough support.
And of course, don’t forget your shoes! Make sure they’re appropriate for the type of workout you’re doing, and that they fit well.
- A change of clothes: If you’re heading straight from the gym to another engagement, it’s a good idea to pack a change of clothes. This way you won’t have to worry about being sweaty or smelly. Just make sure your change of clothes is clean and wrinkle-free.
3. Women’s Gym Bag Essential Gear For Your Workout
Depending on the type of workout you’re doing, you’ll need different items. But there are a few things that every woman should have in her gym bag, no matter what.
- A water bottle: Staying hydrated is key to any workout, so make sure to pack a water bottle in your gym bag. You could also bring along some sports drinks to replenish your electrolytes after a particularly strenuous workout (3).
- A towel: A sweat towel is a must, both for wiping away sweat during your workout and for showering afterward. But you might also want to pack a separate hand towel to use for drying off your equipment.
- Gym gloves: If you’re lifting weights, it’s a good idea to invest in a pair of gym gloves. They’ll help you grip the weights better and protect your hands from calluses.
- A yoga mat: If you’re planning on doing any yoga or Pilates, make sure to pack a yoga mat. It will provide cushioning and support, and help you avoid slips and falls.
- A jump rope: A jump rope is a great piece of equipment to have in your gym bag, as it’s a great cardio workout. It’s also very portable and can be used almost anywhere.
- Resistance bands: Resistance bands are a great way to add some variety to your workout. They’re also very portable and can be used for a wide range of exercises.
- Wrist straps: Wrist straps can be helpful if you’re lifting heavy weights. They’ll help support your wrists and avoid injury.
- Goggles, swim cap, and nose clip: If you’re planning on swimming laps, make sure to pack your goggles, swim cap, and nose clip. These will help you see underwater, keep your hair out of your face, and avoid getting water up your nose.
4. Women’s Gym Bag Essentials: Tech Gadgets
In today’s world, it’s hard to imagine going anywhere without our tech gadgets. And the gym is no exception. There are a few essential tech gadgets that every woman should have in her gym bag.
- Portable charger: If you’re using your phone to listen to music or track your workout, make sure to pack a portable charger. This way you won’t have to worry about your phone dying in the middle of your workout.
- Headphones or other audio devices: A good pair of headphones is essential for any gym-goer. They’ll help you block out distractions and get in the zone.
- Wearable fitness tracker: A fitness tracker can be a great way to track your progress and see how you’re doing. If your gym has cardio machines with built-in displays, you might not need one. But if not, it’s a good idea to pack one in your gym bag.
- Armband or other phone holder: If you’re using your phone as your music player, you’ll need some way to keep it close at hand. An armband or other phone holder can be a great way to do this.
Want to build an attention-grabbing bubble butt, blast away fat that’s stored in all the wrong places, spring-clean your diet, turn back the clock on your skin, skyrocket your self-confidence and shatter your insecurities? Check out the BetterMe app and set this plan in motion!
5. Women’s Gym Bag Essentials: Fuel For Your Workout
Working out is hard work, and it takes a lot of energy. That’s why it’s important to fuel your workout with the right foods and snacks.
Pre-workout snacks will give you the energy you need to power through your workout, and post-workout snacks will help your body recover. You’ll need some of these fueling essentials in your gym bag:
- A high-carb pre-workout snack: A high-carb snack will give you the energy you need to power through your workout (1). Something like a banana or a granola bar will work well.
- A high-protein post-workout snack: After your workout, your body will need protein to help repair and rebuild muscle (4). A post-workout protein shake or a hard-boiled egg are both good options.
- Your shakes of choice: If you like to drink protein shakes, make sure to pack them in your gym bag. You’ll want to have one before and after your workout.
- Creatine, BCAA’s, and other supplements: If you take any supplements, make sure to pack them in your gym bag. This way you’ll have them on hand when you need them.
6. Women’s Gym Bag Essentials For Convenience
Last but certainly not least, there are a few items that you’ll want to keep in your gym bag for convenience. These items will make your gym experience more enjoyable and stress-free.
- Your phone and/or wallet: You’ll want to have your phone and/or wallet with you when you head to the gym. This way you can make any necessary phone calls or payments.
- A lock: A lock is a good idea if you’re going to be using a locker at the gym. This will help keep your belongings safe and secure.
- Shower Slippers: If your gym has a shower, pack a pair of shower slippers in your gym bag. This way you can avoid walking around barefoot in the locker room.
- Antibacterial Wipes: Antibacterial wipes are a great way to keep your hands and equipment clean. Wipe down your equipment before and after you use it, and wipe your hands off before you eat.
- A mini first-aid kit: A mini first-aid kit is always a good idea, just in case you need it. Band-aids, antiseptic creams, and pain relievers are all good items to keep in your kit.
What To Look For In A Gym Bag
Now that you know what to pack in your gym bag, you need to find a bag that will accommodate all of your gear. Here are a few things to look for when choosing a gym bag:
- Size: Make sure to choose a bag that’s big enough to fit all of your gear. You don’t want to cram everything into a small bag and have it burst at the seams.
- Compartments and pockets: A bag with compartments and pockets can be a great way to stay organized. You can use the pockets to store your small items, like your phone and your keys.
- Comfort: You’ll be carrying your gym bag around, so make sure it’s comfortable to carry. Look for a bag with padded straps, or choose a backpack-style bag.
- Water Resistant: Wet, sweaty gear can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Choose a bag that’s water-resistant or even waterproof to keep your gear clean and dry.
- Stylish: You don’t have to sacrifice style for function. There are plenty of elegant gym bags on the market which will accommodate all of your gear.
Picking the perfect gym bag doesn’t have to be difficult. Just keep in mind what you’ll need to pack, and choose a bag that’s big enough and has the right features. With the right bag, you’ll be prepared for anything your workout throws at you.
The Bottom Line
Packing all of these essentials in your gym bag will help make your workout more enjoyable and stress-free. With everything you need on hand, you can focus on getting in a great workout and reaching your fitness goals.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- High-Quality Carbohydrates and Physical Performance (2018, journals.lww.com)
- Oral Health and Quality of Life: Current Concepts (2017, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Practical Hydration Solutions for Sports (2019, mdpi.com)
- Protein for exercise and recovery (2009, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)