Your body shape says something about your health. It also influences your weight loss journey. You can find that people with specific body types, such as a mesomorph type, lose weight faster than others. The same thing applies to weight gain. You should consider your physique as it influences your exercise program and weight loss diet program. That said, here are key factors on exercise and diet for pear shaped body weight loss.
What Is A Pear Shaped Body Type?
A pear-shaped body type combines the ectomorph and endomorph body shapes. An individual with a pear-shaped body shape has a slimmer upper body resembling an ectomorph.
Ectomorphs have low muscle and fat, characterized by a lean body shape with long limbs (1). These are the characteristics of an individual with a pear-shaped body shape with their upper body.
The opposite is true for their lower body, their lower body physique is an endomorph. An endomorph has high body fat and a curvy figure (1). So, if you have a pear-shaped figure, you will have extra fat in your lower body, especially in your hip and thigh area (6).
Women tend to have pear-shaped figures, and it can be argued this is one of the reasons they live longer. This is because they do not have excessive belly fat as men do, which has been linked to several health problems, such as obesity and high blood pressure.
Can Pear Shaped Body Lose Weight?
Yes, they can. The basic principle you have to remember about weight loss is that your calorie count influences it. The more calories you burn, the faster you shed pounds and attain your fitness and weight loss goals.
Note that you should consult your doctor before you embark on a weight loss journey. This is because many factors come to play in weight loss, including your health status, diet, existing medical conditions, age, and genes.
Weight Loss For Pear Shaped Body Type
Now that you know you can shed pounds with such a body type, the next step is to determine a weight loss strategy. First, of course, you have to burn more calories than you are consuming for weight loss to occur.
The best program that most people implement for weight loss is exercise. This is the main way to track your calories and maintain a calorie deficit for weight loss.
Exercise has also been linked to several health benefits, including reduced risk of obesity and cardiovascular disease.
What Are The Best Exercises For Pear Shaped Body?
You may find it challenging to shed pounds with such a physique, mainly because it is a combination of two different body shapes. Perhaps you may be confused about whether to follow an ectomorph or endomorph exercise program.
To lose weight with a pear shaped physique, you have to combine different exercise programs. Avoid confining yourself to one program, such as cardio or weight lifting. Instead of this, you have to combine various training programs and physical activities for weight loss.
Some of the programs that you can combine are aerobics, weight lifting, skipping rope and cardiovascular activities like brisk walking, running, cycling, and jogging. All these activities can help you lose calories, depending on your exercise timeline.
For example, an individual weighing 160 pounds and exercising for one hour using the following activities can lose the following calories (2):
- Running at 5 mph – 606
- Hiking – 438
- Cycling at less than 10 mph – 292
- Ballroom dancing – 219
- Low-impact aerobics – 365
- Water aerobics – 402
Read More: Belly Dancing Weight Loss: Myth Or Fact?
How To Craft A Weight Loss Program For Pear Shaped Physiques
When designing a pear shaped body weight loss program, you need to consider several factors. They include:
Of course, the first step is consulting with your doctor and trainer. Your doctor has to give you the green light, indicating you are fit and healthy enough to start the exercise program. Your trainer plays a significant role in the design of your training program.
Your trainer has to first assess your fitness level to tailor a personalized workout plan matching your fitness level. Secondly, they must select the best exercises for you matching your weight loss goals and teach you the correct form.
Remember to consult with someone if you find a program online you like or want to consider following a specific workout challenge for weight loss. You might discover it is beneficial, but not to you due to your body type.
The Balancing Act
Similarly, remember to balance your routine. As we mentioned earlier, it is better to combine different programs for pear-shaped body weight loss. There is no standardized perfect combination. Some programs will work best for some individuals and bear no fruits for others.
Knowing this, take time to observe your body and its reactions to different workout plans. You can take pictures of your pear-shaped before and after each exercise program to see if it bears fruits.
The Best Cardio Exercises For Pear Shaped Body Weight Loss
Cardio is one of the best programs to include in a pear shaped body weight loss program. It can help you burn calories depending on the intensity level, timeline and individual characteristics like weight and age. Here are some of the best exercises to perform for pear shaped weight loss:
Step Up With Knee Raises
This easy to perform exercise mainly targets your quads and hamstrings. However, it also involves your calves and abs and gives them a thorough workout. Here is the process (4):
- Place an elevated platform like a bench or chair in front of you or stand in front of a staircase.
- Tighten your core, straighten your back and step on the platform using your left leg as you simultaneously swing your arms.
- Lift your right knee in front of you and into the air.
- Step down using the right leg and repeat the process on the left leg.
- Keep alternating until you perform 15 reps on each leg.
Whether you’re a workout beast or just a beginner making your first foray into the world of fitness and dieting – BetterMe has a lot to offer to both newbies and experts! Install the app and experience the versatility first-hand!
These kicks target your gluteus maximus and gluteus medius. They are very effective in toning your lower body and your butt. These kicks have several variations, but it is better to start with the regular variation in order to master form. Here is how you perform these kicks:
- Start on your fours, with your knees at hip-width distance and hands directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your back straight and tighten your core before lifting your right leg towards the ceiling. Keep the left knee firm on the ground, elbows and back straight.
- Pause at the top of the movement before slowly returning your leg to the starting position. Do not let the knee touch the ground but instead rest a few inches above the ground.
- Complete 20 reps before switching sides.
These squat variations are effective in weight loss and toning your lower body. The plyometric move targets your quads, glutes, hips, and hamstrings (4). It also increases your heart rate and helps you torch calories for weight loss. To perform them:
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width distance.
- Keep your back straight and push your butt and hips behind as you drop into a squat position. Squat to your point of comfort or until your thighs are slightly higher than your knees. Remember to keep your back straight and your arms clasped in front of you.
- Push through your feet and instead of standing, jump and then land softly into a squat by bending your knees.
- Repeat to complete at least 15 reps.
These jumps target your entire body as they combine the technique of planks and jumping jacks. They effectively challenge your core and build shoulder stability and overall body strength. Here is how you perform them (4):
- Start in a high plank position, with your hands directly under your shoulders and feet close together. Make sure your back is straight and that your body forms a straight line from your head to your feet.
- While keeping your back straight and your lower body at hip level, extend your feet to form a wide V and then jump to bring them close together.
- That is one rep. Repeat to perform at least 12 reps.
This exercise gets its name from its movement that mimics that of climbing a mountain. Some people may refer to them as running planks because you perform them in a high plank position. Although the move sounds simple, it effectively raises your heart rate and burns calories. Here is the process:
- Start in a high plank position and place your hands shoulder-width apart and directly beneath the shoulders.
- Keep your back straight and your neck and spine neutral.
- Bring your right knee towards your chest and as far as you can.
- Return the knee and switch legs to bring the other knee into your chest.
- Pick up your pace and keep alternating legs as you run in and out as fast as you can. Remember to keep your hips down and breathe normally during the movement.
These jumps are advanced variations of the basic walking lunges. They include a plyometric transition consisting of a jump that helps increase the intensity of the exercise. It targets your lower body and core and effectively improves lower body strength and power. Here is how you perform them (4):
- Stand upright with your feet at shoulder-width distance. Jump one leg forward and the other back into a lunge. Keep both knees at a 90-degree angle.
- Jump up and then switch legs midair and land into a lunge again.
- Continue jumping back and forth but remember to minimize breaks and maintain the correct form. For example, keep your chest up and back straight throughout the movement.
- Do at least 20 reps.
The Best Weight Loss Diet For Pear Shaped Body
You have to eat for your specific body type to lose pounds. The ideal diet for anyone with a pear body type is a meal rich in fiber, low in organic dairy products, and with moderate amounts of healthy fats.
High Fiber Foods
These foods promote weight loss by increasing satiety and preventing overeating. They also help maintain a healthy gut and boost heart health (3). Some of the best high fiber foods to include in your weight loss diet plan are:
- Vegetables: Broccoli, parsnips, sweet potatoes, artichokes, pumpkins, and winter squash.
- Legumes: Black beans, lentils, mung beans, navy beans, chickpeas, and green peas.
- Fruits: Banana, prunes, apples, oranges, guavas, avocados, pears, and raspberries.
- Nuts and Seeds: Buckwheat, quinoa, popcorn, chia seeds, and almonds.
- Whole grains: Freekeh, pearled barley, and bulgur wheat.
Dropping pounds by the dozens without putting yourself through the wringer is everyone’s weight loss pipe dream. But what if we told you that the BetterMe app can make that happen? Keep yourself in prime shape with our fat-blasting workouts, delicious budget-sparing recipes, and body-transforming challenges with our app!
A weight loss diet for a pear body type includes healthy fats, but in moderation. Some of the best sources of healthy fats include (5):
- Fish: Fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring, lake trout, and albacore are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fats that keep your heart healthy. They also keep your brain sharp, especially as you age. However, remember to consume fish in moderation, at least two servings a week (5).
- Avocado: This fruit is loaded with nutrients and healthy fat, good for your heart and helps with osteoarthritis.
- Olive Oil: This oil is rich in good fat and is recommended for cooking and salad dressing.
- Eggs: They are rich in healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids that promote overall health. A large hard-boiled egg contains roughly 4.7 g of fat (5).
- Ground flaxseed: It contains fats that make your skin look younger and plumper. They also contain fiber that increases satiety and eases inflammation (5).
The Bottom Line
If you want to lose weight, you need to understand your body because your body type influences this journey. It would help if you combined different exercise programs for pear shaped body weight loss. For example, you can combine cardio, weight lifting, and other physical activities.
Working with a trainer for more guidance on the exercise to include in your weight loss workout plan would be best. As always, be sure to talk to your doctor before starting a weight loss journey or any other fitness program.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Everything you need to know about the mesomorph body type (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour (2021, mayoclinic.org)
- High-fiber foods for a healthful diet (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Plyometrics (2020, webmd.com)
- Slideshow: Healthy-Fat Foods (2020, webmd.com)
- What Your Body Shape Says About Your Health (2020, webmd.com)