Almost everyone in today’s society wants to lose a few pounds and tone up. However, weight loss has become ten times harder than before. The problem is that most people have lost sight of healthy diets, meaning they hardly know what is good for them. As a result, a greater number of people are battling conditions such as obesity and eating disorders binge eating or bulimia. Key to weight loss lies in combining healthy eating, maintaining calorie deficit, and engaging in regular physical activity. These are weight loss must-dos you simply can’t lose 30 pounds in 3 months without. Read on to dive into how you can lose this much weight in such a limited amount of time both quickly and safely.
Can You Lose 30 Pounds In 3 Months?
For some, losing 30 pounds in 3 months sounds like a complete and utter lie. It is because the media has bombarded us with numerous ads on weight-loss supplements and pills. Such ads claim that such supplements and pills can even help you lose weight in a week or two.
However, after trying them, you may notice little to no change. Therefore, the perception of most people of losing such pounds in such a timeline is unrealistic. However, this is only because you tried some marketers’ products that did not work.
According to experts, you can lose weight through exercise, weight loss surgery, and consuming low-calorie diets (6). Therefore, do not fall into the trap of believing any weight loss pills or supplements.
Instead, you are urged to become more active and try to engage in physical activity. It means that the best way to lose 30 pounds in 3 months is by eating right and exercising. You need to pick practical and effective workout plans.
At the same time, focus on either a low-calorie diet (LCD) or a very low-calorie diet (VLCD). The diet plan you choose will be influenced by several factors. They include your daily calorie limit, your dietary requirements, and the weight you want to lose.
Designing Weight Loss Meal Plans
The key to developing an effective meal plan is first determining your weight loss requirements. Experts recommend that you plan your diet according to your requirements (8). As such, you have to understand the following:
- The weight you want to lose. In our case, the goal is to lose 30 pounds. With a goal in mind, you are more likely to stay on track.
- Your dietary needs if you have an existing health condition. Remember to also evaluate how your health condition affects your dietary requirements. For example, if you have diabetes, you need to manage your blood sugar levels. It means you have to consume foods that don’t throw your blood sugar levels out of whack.
- Any personal dietary restrictions or requirements. If, for example, you are allergic to some foods, remember to avoid them while designing your meal plan. You can also talk to your dietitian about your allergies to help in determining substitutes for such foods. This way, you do not miss out on essential nutrients.
- The importance of including all food groups. According to experts, a great meal plan has to contain all the food groups and in the following ratios on a daily basis (1):
- Fruits and vegetables- 50%
- Proteins– 25 %
- Whole grains- 25%
- Fiber- 25 to 30 grams
If you have never put together a meal plan all by yourself before, you should seek professional help. They will guide you on crafting a realistic meal plan that matches both your needs and activity levels.
Example Of A Meal Plan To Lose 30 Pounds In 3 Months
You may have tried a popular weight loss diet plan and perhaps it never worked. If not, it could be that the results you achieved did not last long before you gained all the lost weight back. This may happen if you are not cautious about the calories you’re consuming..
There is so much more to dieting for weight loss than you may know. It does not merely entail discovering foods with low fat and carbohydrate content. You also have to take note of calories, meal portions, as well as your eating habits and patterns.
Low-calorie meal plans tend to limit your daily calorie intake to 1, 200 or 1, 500 kcal (10). Here is an example of a low-calorie diet plan that you can try out:
- One medium slice of whole wheat bread spread with two teaspoons of jelly, 1/2 cup of shredded wheat with a cup of 1% milk, 3/4 cup orange juice, and one cup regular black coffee.
- Sandwich prepared with unseasoned roast beef, 2 medium slices of whole wheat bread, two ounces of lean meat, one lettuce leaf, three slices of tomato, and one teaspoon of mustard.
- Two ounces of salmon cooked in 1.5 teaspoons of vegetable oil, half a cup of green beans, half a cup of carrots, 3/4 of a medium baked potato, topped with one teaspoon of unsalted margarine, one small white dinner roll, two cups water, and one cup of unsweetened ice tea.
- Two and a half cups of air-popped popcorn.
Whether you’re looking to simply pep up your fitness routine, jazz up your diet with mouth-watering low-calorie recipes or want to get your act together and significantly drop that number on your scale – BetterMe app has got you covered! Improve your body and revamp your life with us!
How To Lose 30 Pounds In 3 Months With Exercise?
Exercise is one of the most rewarding long-term weight loss methods. Engaging in physical activity regularly can help in burning more calories, further accelerating weight loss. However, there is so much you need to consider before you start working out to lose 30 pounds in 3 months. Some of the factors you must consider include:
The Exercise Program
There are so many activities that can be regarded as exercise and that can help you lose pounds. Even such simple exercises like walking and running can get your weight loss moving. However, if you want to lose pounds but still build muscle, you need to opt for strength-training exercises. On the other hand, if you want to lose 30 pounds in 3 months, do HIIT workouts. Consult with a trainer first to figure out the best workout regimen depending on your goals.
With that said, let us evaluate some effective workouts for those who wish to lose 30 pounds in 3 months.
Cardio is among the best exercises that can help with your weight loss journey. The best thing is that even beginners can handle it. The best cardio workouts to consider include:
Running is one of the best aerobic exercises to consider when you want to drop some pounds. For example, in our case, losing 30 pounds in 3 months.
Experts acknowledge that if you run at 5 mph for 30 minutes, you get to burn 295 calories (2). If you were to increase your duration to 60 minutes, you would burn 590 calories. However, this is only the case if you weigh at least 154 pounds.
However, before you start running for weight loss, consult with both your doctor and fitness coach. They have to give you a go-ahead after conducting a thorough assessment of you. For example, your trainer will assess your fitness abilities and then create a suitable exercise plan.
Benefits Of Running
Running is way better for weight loss than walking as it helps you burn more calories. Additionally, experts state that running is more efficient than walking in reducing belly fat (7).
Therefore, if you have struggled with fat in your midsection, then running might be just what you need. It is also a great exercise for boosting your mental and overall health. If you want to run outdoors, remember to choose a safe trail. On the other hand, if you choose to run indoors, get yourself a treadmill. Let your instructor create a challenging treadmill workout plan for you.
Cycling also helps in weight loss and improving your overall fitness. Cycling tends to target most of your leg muscles, which are quads and hamstrings. It also helps your health in the following ways:
- Improves your lung health
- Strengthens your heart muscles
- Lowers your resting pulse rate
- Reduces the levels of fat in your blood
- Stimulates circulation
Cycling also helps you burn more calories. Here is a sample of a chart detailing how many calories you would burn depending on your weight and cycling speed (3). The measurements have been recorded after indulging in this activity for one hour precisely.
- If you weigh 130 pounds and are cycling at less than 10 mph, you burn 236 calories.
- If you weigh 155 pounds and are cycling at a speed of over 20 mph, you burn 1, 126 calories.
- Cycling between 10 and 11.9 mph while you weigh 180 pounds helps you burn 490 calories.
- Cycling between 14 and 15.9 mph (vigorous) while you weigh 205 pounds helps you burn 931 calories.
The chart above is merely to show you that the activity does pay off and helps you burn calories. Do not adjust your speed without consulting your fitness coach. Stick to the speed they recommend at first, and only increase it when they say so.
Again, you can also choose to cycle outside or bike indoors. If you prefer the indoors, get yourself a stationary bike. However, for faster results, experts recommend outdoor cycling.
They acknowledge that a 155-pound individual loses 260 calories on a stationary bike for 30 minutes (4). However, in the same timeline, the same person would burn 391 calories if they chose to bike outside.
Swimming can also help you lose 30 pounds in 3 months if you also focus on healthy eating habits. The activity can help you burn calories depending on how long you swim, your pace, and laps. Although this exercise seems straightforward, it is also crucial to seek professional assistance.
Whether you are a swimming guru or not, seek help if you want to swim to lose weight. Professional guidance may help you learn a thing or two on how to burn more calories while swimming.
If a 154-pound individual started swimming, slow freestyle laps, they would burn 255 calories within 30 minutes (2). If they were to swim for another 30 minutes, they would burn 510 calories.
If you struggle to even flirt with the idea of giving up your favorite foods or working out till your legs give way – BetterMe app is here to breathe a fresh perspective into the way you view the weight loss process! Check out the app and experience the fun side of fitness and dieting with BetterMe!
Strength training not only helps you build muscles but also lose extra pounds. When you build more muscles, they tend to make your body more metabolically active. As a result, your body increases the rate at which it burns calories (5).
Therefore, you can start a strength training program to lose weight and build muscle. The exercises that you will perform may tend to differ. They may include:
- Weight lifting exercises. These workouts require you utilize free weights or weight machines. They may include exercises like the bicep curls, Romanian deadlift or leg presses.
- Exercises using your body weight for resistance. These include common exercises like the squats and lunges.
- Exercise using resistance bands. Such workouts use the bands to increase the intensity of your muscles’ work. They are mostly recommended after you become familiar with the exercises that require you to use your body weight.
Your trainer is required to mix up your exercise and not just focus on strength training programs. They have to switch things up and at times incorporate some cardio activities. Additionally, they have to schedule for rest days to allow your muscles and body to heal and recover.
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
You also need a HIIT program and a healthy diet to lose 30 pounds in 3 months. HIIT programs refer to exercises with a short burst of intense workouts followed by rest or a low-intensity exercise.
Usually, experts recommend a HIIT program to last at least 15 or 20 minutes (9). Such a duration is very practical and convenient for beginners. However, if you are in the intermediate or advanced fitness levels, you could extend this duration.
Interestingly, HIIT workouts incorporate cardio and strength training programs. It means that you can choose to run, skip rope, or do exercises requiring free weights. Some of the most popular exercises in most HIIT workouts include squats, burpees, jumping jacks, bicep curls, and sit-ups.
It is not to mean that your HIIT workout plan ought to include these exercises. Your coach will only include exercise that they feel can help you lose weight fast and safely.
The Bottom Line
You may find it difficult to lose 30 pounds in 3 months without professional guidance or assistance. The key to losing such weight is creating a realistic diet and workout plans. You have to improve your eating habits and get enough exercise.
Your fitness level will highly influence the exercise you include in your workout plan. They could range from cardiovascular, strength training, to HIIT workouts. Remember to stay consistent with your diet and workout plan as weight loss demands perseverance, consistency, and endurance.
If you want your weight loss plan to be efficient, don’t forget to do some exercise on the regular basis. Check out this 20-min Full Body Workout at Home.
The following article is meant for general informational purposes. Please consult with a professional before implementing anything based on our findings.
Reviewed by: Soraya Ziou
- 10 tips for successful weight loss (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Cardio for weight loss: What to know (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Comparing biking and running for fitness and weight loss (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How many calories does biking burn? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How often to work out for health, strength, and weight loss (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Rapid Weight Loss (2019, webmd.com)
- Walking vs. running: Weight loss, heart health, and more (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Weight loss meal plans (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What are the benefits of high intensity interval training (HIIT)? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What to know about low calorie meal plans (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)