Do you have a wedding, event, or a weight loss deadline coming up and are scrambling to find how to lose 30 pounds in 2 months? In this article, we will be tackling how to lose weight fast and naturally and we will be exploring whether it is possible to lose 30 pounds in just 2 months.
How To Lose 30 Pounds In 2 Months Naturally?
You cannot naturally lose 30 pounds in 2 months. This timeline is too short for you to lose such a significant amount of weight in such a short time. However, if you were to increase your timeline and plan to lose 4 to 8 pounds a month then your plan will succeed, even if it takes more time.
If you increase your timeline and be patient, here are some fast ways to lose weight that can help you along:
Decrease Your Calorie Intake
Reducing your calorie intake by 500 to 1000 cals a day will help you lose weight. You can keep track of your calorie deficit diet by using a reputable calorie counting app like BetterMe Health&Fitness app.
Consume More Protein
Protein increases your satiety hormones while reducing the hunger hormones which helps you eat less through the day, putting you on a calorie deficit. Protein has also been shown to require more energy to digest which means that it will increase your body’s food thermic effect, boosting your metabolism.
Consume Metabolism Boosting Foods
Metabolism serves a great purpose in weight loss because those with a faster metabolic rate burn through calories fast and don’t add weight fast, if at all. Those with a slower metabolism always find it extremely hard to lose weight and add weight very quickly. If you have a slow metabolism and would like to give it a boost to help with calorie burning, some foods you can eat that may help with this include avocados, chillies, spinach, legumes and lentils, oily fish, wholegrains, tofu, tempeh, and hemp seeds, etc. (1, 2).
Drink More Water
It is a natural appetite suppressant and like protein and the foods mentioned above it boosts your metabolism helping your body burn more calories throughout the day.
Avoid Processed Foods And Refined Carbs
These kinds of foods are often stripped of their nutrients and eating them only gives you empty calories and no nutrients. Overly processed foods are also often full of added sugar and salt which only serve to increase water weight and fat in your body.
Empty Your Pantry And Home Of Unhealthy Foods/Drinks
Keeping unhealthy foods away from you is one of the easy ways to lose weight without going to extreme lengths. The less you see the foods, the less likely you are to consume them.
Try Intermittent Fasting
This is not a diet but an eating plan that involves fasting and eating windows throughout the day. There are multiple variations of intermittent fasting (8) but the one that works best for beginners is the 16/8 method. Many studies have shown that intermittent fasting helps many people lose weight and it could work to help you lose 30 pounds over time (3).
Drink More Unsweetened Tea And Coffee
The caffeine found in these drinks works to boost your metabolism, and they are essentially calorie-free if you don’t add sweeteners or creamers.
Invest In Some Probiotics
Probiotics have been shown to have potential benefits in the treatment and prevention of issues and diseases such as diarrhea, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), Crohn’s disease, vaginal infections, UTIs, and more. However, some probiotic groups, namely Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium and their strains have been shown to be quite effective for weight loss (11). Probiotics can be found in fermented foods such as kefir, kombucha, fermented or raw cheeses, raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother), kimchi, miso, etc.
In 2008, a meta analysis of the the effects of sleep on weight showed that people who sleep less are 55% more likely to become obese than those who sleep well and enough every night (10). Sleeping more helps regulate your appetite hormones (12) and can go further to influence your food choices making you make healthier food choices every time.
The Risks Of A ‘How To Lose 30 Pounds In 2 Months Diet Plan’
One of the fast ways to lose weight is by making healthy changes to your diet. However, it is important to note that a healthy diet will not help you lose 30 pounds in 2 months. Consuming healthy wholesome foods at a calorie deficit of 500 to 1000 calories a day will help you lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
In two months, this will equate to a weight loss of anywhere between 8 to 16 pounds and not 30 pounds. If any diet promises to be the answer on how to lose 30 pounds in 2 months, it is most likely a weight loss fad that will have you consuming too little calories.
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
Eating too few calories in the name of weight loss put you at a high risk of:
Due to an inadequate consumption of nutrients and protein.
Contrary to what many people assume, eating way less only serves to increase and not decrease your hunger levels.
Fertility Issues, Especially In Women
Underweight women have been known to suffer from amenorrhea – the disappearance of periods and have a harder time getting pregnant.
When you eat too little, you are most likely to start sleeping less and will find it hard to fall and stay asleep.
Mood Swings And Irritability
Poor sleep and constant hunger will definitely make you feel irritable all day.
This mainly stems from the lack of enough calories because your body does not have enough energy to sustain itself and help you get through your day. The fatigue is also made worse due to lack of enough and proper sleep.
It Can Severely Affect Your Mental Health
Severely restricting your calorie intake in a bid to try and lose 30 pounds in 2 months may land you in a psychiatric hospital. One infamous study done on men observing the effects of starvation diets saw two men end up in a mental institution; one of them became suicidal while the other practiced self mutilation by cutting off 3 of his fingers (13). The study also showed the men experience other side effects such as dizziness, cold intolerance, an inability to concentrate, muscle soreness, reduced coordination, edema, ringing in the ears, and an obsession with food.
What Does A Healthy Meal Plan To Lose 30 Pounds Look Like?
According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, a healthy diet plan is one that (7):
- Emphasizes on the consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Limits saturated and trans fats, sodium, and added sugars
WHO further advises that your saturated fats intake should be less than 10% of total energy intake while the intake of trans-fats should be less than 1% of total energy intake. You should also aim to limit your free sugars/added sugars intake to less than 10% of total energy intake and salt should be limited to less than 5 g per day (6).
- Controls Portion Sizes
In relation to calorie intake it is further suggested that for weight loss, women can aim to consume 1200 to 1500 calories a day, while men should stick to about 1500 to 1800 calories a day.
How To Lose Weight 30 Pounds In 2 Months With Smoothies?
If you have been trying to lose 30 pounds for a while now, you may have heard about or even considered trying a smoothie diet to help you lose weight fast. So what is a smoothie diet? This is an eating plan that recommends for you to use smoothies as meal replacements (15). If you choose to follow this diet hoping to lose 30 pounds, you will have to consume two smoothies a day and only have one regular meal a day.
About A Smoothie Diet
While this may sound like a good idea, it is in no way healthy or sustainable and should be struck out of your ‘how to lose 30 pounds in 2 months’ weight loss plan. While the smoothie diet has some advantages the cons outweigh any benefits that may sell you to it. The disadvantages of such a meal plan include:
- It is extremely restrictive. Surviving on two smoothies and one regular meal a day will have you feeling ravenous all day. Plus, it will not give you enough calories to sustain you throughout the day which could lead to side effects such as dizziness, headaches, irritability, fatigue, and more.
- It is high in sugar. While fruits are great, they are also quite high in sugars which could also contribute to weight gain. When you are eating whole fruits, you are unlikely to overdo it, but you can pack a lot more fruit (and sugar) into smoothies.
- It is not sustainable in the long run. Because this diet puts you at a calorie deficit, you will most certainly lose weight, however, the minute you reach your goal (or cannot take being hungry all day anymore) and start eating normal meals again, all the weight will come back. A proper and healthy weight loss diet should encourage healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
- It lacks scientific support. While many online or within your circle may claim that it aids in weight loss and has many other health benefits, there is no actual scientific research to backup these claims.
Smoothies For Weight Loss
Does this mean that you cannot use smoothies to help you lose 30 pounds? No, it does not. When done right you can use smoothies as part of your weight loss. Here is how you can use smoothies to help you lose 30 pounds:
- Be realistic. No diet, not even one supplemented with smoothies, can help you lose 30 pounds in 2 months. Any significant weight lost in this short time frame is most probably just water weight and muscle loss.
- Use smoothies as part of a balanced diet. Do not starve yourself. Smoothies should not be used as meal replacements. Instead use them as snacks. If you have smoothie as your breakfast or lunch, be sure to fill up on other healthy and nutritious foods.
- Make them as healthy as you can. Your smoothie should not only be made of fruit. Balance it out with some healthy greens, add some whey or plant-protein powder for some protein, and some nuts and seeds for some healthy fats. This helps keep your sugar intake balanced and can also have other potential benefits like improving digestive health, improving immunity, and promoting bone health (4).
Here are some smoothies that you can add to your daily diet to help you as yo figure out how to lose 30 pounds:
Spinach Avocado Smoothie
We promise that it tastes better than it sounds. Spinach is rich in vitamins K, A, C, B2 and folate as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. This vegetable is great for eye health, reducing oxidative stress, helping prevent cancer, and reducing blood pressure levels (5). On the other hand, avocados are delicious and a great source of healthy fats.
- 1 scoop plant protein powder
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- a medium-sized avocado
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
Calories: 437. Fats: 29 g. Proteins: 27 g. Carbs: 21 g.
- 1 kiwi
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup pineapple
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup water
Calories: 191. Fats: 1.1 g. Proteins: 4.3 g. Carbs: 46.7 g.
Fruity Spirulina Smoothie
The star of this smoothie is spirulina, a popular blue-green algae that is hailed as a superfood/supplement. This powder has many incredible nutrients and is said to help with weight loss, improving gut health, the management of diabetes, lowering cholesterol and reducing blood pressure, and more (14).
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1/2 cup of cucumber
- 1 cup chopped kale
- a tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1/2 scoop whey protein powder
Calories: 314. Fats: 8 g. Proteins: 22 g. Carbs: 45 g.
Green Detox Smoothie
- 1 cup of water
- a medium-sized banana
- 1 tbsp natural almond butter
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup mango chunks
Calories: 305. Fats: 9 g. Proteins: 8 g. Carbs: 54 g.
BetterMe app will provide you with a host of fat-frying fitness routines that’ll scare the extra pounds away and turn your body into a masterpiece! Get your life moving in the right direction with BetterMe!
Can You Lose 10 Pounds In 2 Weeks?
On average, a person on a healthy diet and exercise regime should lose anywhere between 1 to 2 pounds a week (9), which means a loss of 2 to 4 pounds in 2 weeks. If you are taking a diet that promises to help you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, chances are that it is an unhealthy low calorie diet that is making your body lose water weight and muscle mass.
How To Lose 30 Pounds In 2 Months For Obese Person?
As previously stated, you cannot lose 30 pounds of fat in two months. It is impossible and any diet that promises such results is a fad diet that will most likely take all your money and land you in hospital.
The only way that an obese person could lose 30 pounds in 2 months is if they are consistently losing fat and water weight through a healthy calorie deficit eating plan and exercise. And even then most of the 30 pounds lost is from the water trapped in their organs and bodies.
How To Lose 30 Pounds In 2 Months Without Exercise?
As we stated before, you can only achieve healthy and sustainable weight loss through a healthy calorie deficit and exercise. In the same way you cannot hope to lose this much weight by fixing your diet, you cannot think that lack of exercise will help you achieve this goal.
This, however, does not mean that you will lose this weight by exercising. The most amount you can lose in one month is 8 pounds – maybe a little more if you lost some significant water weight in the process. At the end of the day, you will not lose 30 pounds in 2 months whether you exercise or not.
The Bottom Line
How to lose 30 pounds in 2 months is nothing but a pipe dream, an achievable goal that will only frustrate you if you try and achieve it. Give yourself anywhere between 4 months to 8 months to lose 30 months. Weight loss like weight gain is not an overnight process. Find some patience, eat a healthy diet, and exercise, and eventually the pounds will go away.
Check out this 20-min Full Body Workout at Home.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any medical conditions. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 11 Best and Worst Foods for Boosting Metabolism (2019, everydayhealth.com)
- 22 Metabolism-Boosting Foods for Faster Weight Loss (2018, prevention.com)
- Diet Review: Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss (n.d., hsph.harvard.edu)
- Green Smoothies For Weight Loss That Pack A Serious Health Punch (2021, betterme.world)
- Health benefits and nutritional value of spinach (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Healthy diet (2020, who.int)
- Healthy Eating Plan (n.d., nhlbi.nih.gov)
- Intermittent Fasting 20/4: Will This Fasting Method Lead To Successful Weight Loss? (2020, betterme.world)
- Losing Weight (2020, cdc.gov)
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults (2008, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Probiotics For Weight Loss: Can These Supplements Help You Lose Weight And Belly Fat? (2021, betterme.world)
- Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass index (2004, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- They Starved So That Others Be Better Fed: Remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota Experiment (2005, academic.oup.com)
- What are the benefits of spirulina? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What Is the Smoothie Diet? (2021, verywellfit.com)
- What Is Water Weight and How Do You Lose it? (2020, menshealth.com)