Do you have a wedding, event, or a weight loss deadline coming up and are scrambling to find out how you can lose 30 pounds in two months? In this article, we will tackle how to lose weight fast and naturally and explore whether it is possible to lose 30 pounds in just two months.
How Can You Lose 30 Pounds in 2 Months Naturally?
You cannot naturally lose 30 pounds in two months. This timeline is too short for you to lose such a significant amount of weight (9). However, if you were to increase your timeline and plan to lose 4 to 8 pounds a month, then your plan may succeed, even if it takes more time.
If you increase your timeline and are patient, here are some fast ways to lose weight that can help you out:
- Decrease your calorie intake. Reducing your calorie intake by 500 to 1,000 calories a day will help you lose weight. You can keep track of your calorie deficit diet by using a reputable calorie counting app such as the BetterMe Health & Fitness app.
- Consume more protein. Protein increases your satiety hormones while also reducing the hunger hormones, which helps you eat less throughout the day, creating a calorie deficit. Protein has also been proven to require more energy to digest, meaning that it will increase your body’s food thermic effect and boost your metabolism.
- Consume metabolism-boosting foods. Metabolism serves a great purpose in weight loss as those with a faster metabolic rate burn through calories fast and don’t add weight fast, if at all. However, those with a slower metabolism often find it incredibly difficult to lose weight and add weight quite quickly. If you have a slow metabolism and would like to give it a boost to help with calorie burning, some foods you can eat that may help include avocados, chilies, spinach, legumes and lentils, oily fish, wholegrains, tofu, tempeh, and hemp seeds (1, 2).
- Drink more water. Water is a natural appetite suppressant and as with protein and the foods mentioned above, it boosts your metabolism, which helps your body burn more calories throughout the day.
- Avoid processed foods and refined carbs. These kinds of foods are often stripped of their nutrients and eating them only provides empty calories and no nutrients. Overly processed foods are also often full of added sugar and salt, which only serve to increase water weight and fat in your body.
- Empty your pantry and home of unhealthy foods/drinks. Keeping unhealthy foods away from you is one of the easiest ways of losing weight without going to extreme lengths. If you don’t see the foods, the less likely you will be to consume them.
- Try intermittent fasting. This is not a diet but an eating plan involving fasting and eating windows throughout the day. There are multiple variations of intermittent fasting (10), but the one that works best for beginners is the 16/8 method. Many studies have shown that intermittent fasting can help people lose weight and this could work to help you lose 30 pounds over time (3).
- Drink more unsweetened tea and coffee. The caffeine in these drinks works to boost your metabolism, and they are essentially calorie-free beverages if you don’t add any sweeteners or creamers.
- Invest in some probiotics. Probiotics have been proven to have potential benefits in the treatment and prevention of issues and diseases such as diarrhea, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), Crohn’s disease, vaginal infections, and UTIs. However, some probiotic groups, namely Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium and their strains, have been proven to be quite effective for weight loss (13). Probiotics are found in fermented foods such as kefir, kombucha, fermented or raw cheeses, raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother), kimchi, and miso.
- Sleep more. In 2008, a meta-analysis of the effects of sleep on weight showed that people who sleep less are 55% more likely to become obese than those who sleep well every night (12). Sleeping more helps regulate your appetite hormones (14) and can go further to influence your food choices, which makes you make healthier food choices every time.
BetterMe App helps you achieve your body goals with ease and efficiency by helping to choose proper meal plans and effective workouts. Start using our app and you will see good results in a short time.
How Long Should It Take to Lose 30 Pounds?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have suggested losing 1 to 2 pounds a week for safe and sustainable weight loss. This translates to approximately 4 to 8 pounds a month for the 30-pound goal (11).
Realistically, it can take anything from 3 to 8 months to lose 30 pounds, depending on various factors such as your current weight, body composition, diet, and exercise routine.
However, the number on the scale shouldn’t be your only measure of success. Incorporate other methods for tracking your progress such as taking measurements or photos, tracking non-scale victories such as increased energy levels or better sleep quality, and overall improved physical health.
How Much Weight Can I Realistically Lose in 2 Months?
The CDC recommends losing 1 to 2 pounds per week for safe and sustainable weight loss (11). In two months, this translates to approximately 8 to 16 pounds. Again, this can vary depending on a variety of factors such as starting weight, body composition, diet, and exercise routine. Therefore, different individuals may see different results.
The Risks of a ‘How to Lose 30 Pounds in 2 Months’ Diet Plan
One of the fastest ways to lose weight is by making healthy changes to your diet. However, it should be noted that a healthy diet will not help you lose 30 pounds in two months. Consuming healthy and wholesome foods at a calorie deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories a day will help you lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
In two months, this will equate to a weight loss of anything between 8 and 16 pounds, but not 30 pounds. If any diet promises to help you lose 30 pounds in two months, it is most likely a weight loss fad that will see you consume too few calories.
Eating too few calories in the name of weight loss places you at a high risk of:
- Hair loss. Due to the inadequate consumption of nutrients and protein.
- Constant hunger. Contrary to what many people believe, eating way less only serves to increase rather than decrease your hunger levels.
- Fertility issues, particularly in women. Underweight women have been known to suffer from amenorrhea – the disappearance of periods – and they may have a harder time getting pregnant.
- Sleep problems. When you eat too little, you are more likely to start sleeping less and may find it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
- Mood swings and irritability. Poor sleep and constant hunger will definitely make you feel irritable all day.
- Constant fatigue. This mainly stems from the lack of enough calories as your body does not have enough energy to sustain itself and help you get through the day. The fatigue is also made worse by a lack of enough proper sleep.
- It can severely affect your mental health. Severely restricting your calorie intake in an attempt to lose 30 pounds in two months may see you end up in a psychiatric hospital.
One infamous study on men that observed the effects of starvation diets saw two men end up in a mental institution, one of whom became suicidal while the other practiced self-mutilation by cutting off three of his fingers (15).
The study also showed that men experience other side effects such as dizziness, cold intolerance, an inability to concentrate, muscle soreness, reduced coordination, edema, ringing in the ears, and an obsession with food.
If you wish to free yourself from all the extra pounds that have been weighting you down for way too long, start using the BetterMe app and overhaul your entire life!
What Does a Healthy Meal Plan to Lose 30 Pounds Look Like?
According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, a healthy diet plan is one that (7):
- Emphasizes the consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Limits saturated and trans fats, sodium, and added sugars
WHO further advises that your saturated fat intake should be less than 10% of your total energy intake, while your intake of trans-fats should be less than 1% of your total energy intake. You should also aim to limit your intake of free sugars/added sugars to less than 10% of your total energy intake and salt should be limited to less than 5 g per day (6).
- Controls portion sizes
In relation to calorie intake, it is further suggested that for weight loss, women should aim to consume 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day, while men should stick to approximately 1,500 to 1,800 calories a day.
How Can You Lose 30 Pounds in 2 Months with Smoothies?
If you have been trying to lose 30 pounds for a while, you may have heard about or even considered trying a smoothie diet to help you lose weight fast. But what is a smoothie diet? It is an eating plan that recommends you to use smoothies as meal replacements (17).
If you choose to follow this diet in the hope of losing 30 pounds, you will need to consume two smoothies and only one regular meal a day.
While this may sound like a good idea, it is in no way healthy or sustainable and should not be part of your ‘how to lose 30 pounds in 2 months’ weight loss plan.
While the smoothie diet has certain advantages, the cons outweigh any benefits. The disadvantages of such a meal plan include:
- It is extremely restrictive. Surviving on two smoothies and one regular meal a day will have you feeling ravenous all day. In addition, it will not give you enough calories to sustain you throughout the day, leading to potential side effects such as dizziness, headaches, irritability, and fatigue.
- It is high in sugar. While fruits are great, they are also quite high in sugars, which could also contribute to weight gain. When you eat whole fruits, you’re unlikely to overdo it, but you can pack a lot more fruit (and sugar) into smoothies.
- It is not sustainable in the long term. As this diet puts you at a calorie deficit, you will most certainly lose weight, but as soon as you reach your goal (or cannot take being hungry all day anymore) and start to eat normal meals again, all the weight will return. A proper, healthy weight loss diet should encourage healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
- It lacks scientific support. While some people may claim that it aids weight loss and has many other health benefits, there is no actual scientific research to back up these claims.
Does this mean that you cannot use smoothies to help you lose 30 pounds? No, it does not. If done correctly you can use smoothies as part of your weight loss. Here is how you can use smoothies to help you lose 30 pounds:
- Be realistic. No diet, not even one that is supplemented with smoothies, can help you lose 30 pounds in two months. Any significant amount of weight that is lost in this short time frame is most likely just water weight and muscle loss.
- Use smoothies as part of a balanced diet. Do not starve yourself. Smoothies should not be used as meal replacements. You should use them as snacks instead. If you have a smoothie for breakfast or lunch, make sure you fill up on other healthy and nutritious foods.
- Make them as healthy as possible. Your smoothie should not only contain fruit. Balance it out with some healthy greens, add some whey or plant-protein powder for some protein, and put in some nuts and seeds for some healthy fats.
This will help keep your sugar intake balanced and can also have other potential benefits such as improving digestive health, improving immunity, and promoting bone health (4).
Here are some smoothies you can add to your daily diet to help you lose 30 pounds:
Spinach Avocado Smoothie
We promise that it tastes better than it sounds. Spinach is rich in vitamins K, A, C, and B2 and folate, in addition to being an excellent source of manganese, magnesium, and iron. This vegetable is great for eye health, reducing oxidative stress, helping prevent cancer, and reducing blood pressure levels (5). At the same time, avocados are delicious and a fantastic source of healthy fats.
- 1 scoop plant protein powder
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 medium-sized avocado
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
Calories: 437. Fats: 29 g. Proteins: 27 g. Carbs: 21 g.
- 1 kiwi
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup pineapple
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup water
Calories: 191. Fats: 1.1 g. Proteins: 4.3 g. Carbs: 46.7 g.
Fruity Spirulina Smoothie
The star of this smoothie is spirulina, a popular blue-green algae that is hailed as a superfood/supplement. This powder has many incredible nutrients and is said to help with weight loss, improving gut health, diabetes management, lowering cholesterol, and reducing blood pressure (16).
- 1 medium-sized banana
- ½ cup cucumber
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ½ scoop whey protein powder
Calories: 314. Fats: 8 g. Proteins: 22 g. Carbs: 45 g.
Green Detox Smoothie
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1 tbsp natural almond butter
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup mango chunks
Calories: 305. Fats: 9 g. Proteins: 8 g. Carbs: 54 g.
Can you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks?
Yes, it is possible to lose 10 pounds in two weeks. However, most of this weight will be water weight and not fat (18).
On average, a person on a healthy diet and exercise regime should lose anything between 1 and 2 pounds a week (11), which means a loss of 2 to 4 pounds in two weeks. If you are following a diet that promises to help you lose 10 pounds in two weeks, it is most likely an unhealthy low-calorie diet that will make your body lose water weight and muscle mass.
How can you lose 30 pounds in 2 months if you are obese?
As previously stated, you cannot lose 30 pounds of fat in two months. It is impossible, and any diet that promises such results is a fad diet that will most likely take all your money and see you end up in hospital.
The only way an obese person can lose 30 pounds in two months is if they are consistently losing fat and water weight through a healthy calorie deficit eating plan and exercise. Even then, most of the 30 pounds lost will be from water in their organs and bodies.
How can you lose 30 pounds in 2 months without exercise?
As we stated earlier, healthy and sustainable weight loss can only be achieved through a healthy calorie deficit and exercise. You cannot hope to lose this much weight through diet alone and you absolutely cannot expect that a lack of exercise will help you achieve this goal.
However, this does not mean that you will lose weight by exercising. The most amount you can lose in one month is approximately 8 pounds – perhaps a little more if you lose some significant water weight in the process. At the end of the day, you will not lose 30 pounds in two months whether you exercise or not.
Is 30 lbs of weight loss noticeable?
Yes, 30 pounds of weight loss is noticeable. Generally, losing 10% of your body weight is enough to see a visible physical difference. For someone who weighs 150 pounds, this would be 15 pounds. Therefore, losing 15 pounds would definitely make a noticeable change in your appearance.
You will most likely first notice the weight loss on your face, stomach, and waist. These areas tend to carry more fat and show the effects of weight loss more easily. However, with consistent exercise and a healthy diet, you may notice changes in muscle definition and toning throughout your body too.
Another way of gauging if 30 pounds of weight loss is noticeable is by looking at your clothing size. If you have gone down a few sizes, then yes, it is certainly noticeable. In addition, you should pay attention to how people around you react to your weight loss. Friends and family members are often the first to comment on visible changes in your appearance.
What’s the fastest way to lose 30 pounds?
The fastest way to lose 30 pounds is not necessarily the healthiest way. Crash diets and extreme exercise regimes may promise quick results, but they are not sustainable and can be harmful to your health. Instead, you should focus on making small lifestyle changes that you can maintain in the long term.
For example, attempting to lose 30 pounds in two months through intermittent fasting may result in you regaining the weight once you go back to your regular eating habits.
Trying to lose 30 pounds in two months through keto may have similar effects, as any extreme diet can be difficult to sustain for a prolonged period of time.
A ‘lose 30 pounds in 2 months’ meal plan may help you shed a few pounds, but unless it’s super low in calories, you won’t get to the 30-pound mark in such a short amount of time.
The key to sustainable and healthy weight loss is a combination of regular exercise and a balanced, nutritious diet. You should aim to lose 1-2 pounds per week through a calorie deficit and by incorporating strength training into your workout routine for muscle toning. This may not be the fastest way, but it is certainly the healthiest way of reaching your weight loss goals (8).
The Bottom Line
Losing 30 pounds in two months is nothing but a pipe dream, an unachievable goal that will only frustrate you if you try. You should take between 4 and 8 months if you want to lose 30 pounds. As with weight gain, weight loss is not an overnight process. You need to be patient, eat a healthy diet, and exercise, and the pounds will eventually disappear.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 11 Best and Worst Foods for Boosting Metabolism (2019, everydayhealth.com)
- 22 Metabolism-Boosting Foods for Faster Weight Loss (2018, prevention.com)
- Diet Review: Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss (n.d., hsph.harvard.edu)
- Green Smoothies For Weight Loss That Pack A Serious Health Punch (2021, betterme.world)
- Health benefits and nutritional value of spinach (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Healthy diet (2020, who.int)
- Healthy Eating Plan (n.d., nhlbi.nih.gov)
- How to Lose 30 Pounds in 3 Months With a Diet Plan (2023,livestrong.com)
- How Much Weight Loss Per Month Is Safe? (2023,usnews.com)
- Intermittent Fasting 20/4: Will This Fasting Method Lead To Successful Weight Loss? (2020, betterme.world)
- Losing Weight (2020, cdc.gov)
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults (2008, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Probiotics For Weight Loss: Can These Supplements Help You Lose Weight And Belly Fat? (2021, betterme.world)
- Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass index (2004, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- They Starved So That Others Be Better Fed: Remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota Experiment (2005, academic.oup.com)
- What are the benefits of spirulina? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What Is the Smoothie Diet? (2021, verywellfit.com)
- What Is Water Weight and How Do You Lose it? (2020, menshealth.com)