Sports bands—the wearable fitness trackers that count your steps, monitor your heart rate and even remind you to move if you’ve been sitting for too long—are becoming increasingly popular. And with good reason—research into successful habit formation shows that consistent, measurable tracking is key to meeting your goals. The same theory holds true for weight loss and maintenance; monitoring and tracking physical activities can significantly help you reach your goals. So, if you’ve been looking for a way to amp up your fitness routine, investing in a sports band may be just the thing you need. Even if you’re already a dedicated fitness enthusiast, technology can still play an important role in helping you reach your goals. With so many models on the market it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. That’s why we’ve put together this guide, to help you choose the perfect sport band.
What Can A Sports Band Do?
The most basic sports bands will count your steps, track the distance you’ve traveled, and offer a calorie counter. More sophisticated models may also measure your heart rate, track your sleep patterns, and help you set goals for yourself.
Some of the more advanced options even offer GPS tracking and customizable coaching plans.
When choosing the right sport band for you, consider these factors:
- Activity – What activities do you plan to track? Do you need a sports band that can measure running, cycling, swimming or other activities?
- Design – Useability (the ease with which you can use the sport band) should be at the top of your list. Do you want a sports band that is comfortable to wear all day? Is the interface easy to use? Do you prefer a model with a touchscreen display?
- Connectivity – How often do you need to sync your data? Do you need a sports band that pairs with an app so you can access your data on the go?
- Battery life – How long does the battery last? Do you need a model that can go days without needing to be charged?
- Price – Be sure to consider your budget when shopping for a sports band. Models can vary widely in price, so be sure to choose one that fits your needs and budget.
Collecting data is one thing, but what’s even more important is how you use the data. Using your sports band in the right way can:
- Help you stay motivated – tracking progress can be a great way to stay focused on meeting your goals and reaching new milestones.
- Help you stay on top of your health – monitoring your heart rate, sleep patterns and other data can help you identify any potential issues with your overall health.
- Help you personalize your workouts – by tracking your progress, you can make adjustments to your routine and tailor it to what works best for you.
- Improve your performance – tracking your workouts and progress can help you determine what techniques work best for improving your performance.
- Improve your diet – tracking your activity and caloric intake can help you stay on top of what you’re eating, which can be an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
How To Choose The Right Sport Band For You
The perfect sport band is a myth—it doesn’t exist simply because what works for one person may not work for another. That said, there are some key things to look out for when choosing the right sports band for you.
If You’re Looking To Lose Weight
If your goal is weight loss, you’re focused on calorie consumption and expenditure (3). After all, successful weight loss comes down to managing your calorie balance. Look for a sports band that accurately measures your caloric burn and offers a pairing app with nutrition tracking. More specifically, look out for these features:
- Accurate step counting and calorie burning estimates
- A user-friendly interface that makes it easy to input your meals and snacks
- Ability to set calorie goals and track progress over time
- Integration with a fitness app to maximize your data
- Real-time sync so your data is up to date
Those are the basic features that you’ll need. However, weight management encompasses more than what you eat and how active you are. This is especially true for those who hit plateaus in their journey.
If you want to dig deeper, look for a sports band that also tracks your heart rate, sleep cycles, and stress levels. That way you can get a better idea of what else might be impacting your progress.
If You’re A Newbie Runner
Cardiovascular exercise is an important part of any fitness routine and running is one of the best activities for improving your health and fitness levels (2). In fact, just 30 minutes of running a day can help you lose weight, strengthen your heart and lungs, boost your energy levels, and improve your overall health.
Building a running habit isn’t easy; it takes patience and perseverance. That’s why it’s important to have the right tools to help you stay motivated and track your progress. If you’re just starting out, look for a sport band that offers:
- Activity tracking – you’ll want to track your runs, distances, pace, and routes so you can monitor your progress over time
- Step tracking – walking is a great way to build up your endurance and get ready for running
- Heart rate monitoring – this will help you understand and adjust your effort level for better results
- Integration with a running app – this will help you set goals and measure your progress
- Real-time data syncing – so that you can view your data as soon as it’s recorded
These are the basic qualities for a runner’s sports band without all the bells and whistles. Again, if you’re looking for something more comprehensive, look for a band that has GPS tracking (to easily record and track your routes), additional sensors (like an altimeter to track elevation changes) and advanced data analysis (to better understand your overall performance).
When it comes to weight loss, progress is made by inches, not miles, so it’s much harder to track and a lot easier to give up. BetterMe app is your personal trainer, nutritionist and support system all in one. Start using our app to stay on track and hold yourself accountable!
If You’re A Newbie Gym-Goer
Have a New Year’s resolution to hit the gym but don’t know where to start? You’re not alone. It can be intimidating for those just starting out in the gym, but having the right sport band can be a huge help.
First, you’ll want something that accurately tracks your steps and calories burned to gauge your progress. You’ll also want a sports band that connects to a fitness app and includes:
- Training programs – you should be able to access guided workouts that help you reach your goals
- Interactive video tutorials – to ensure proper form and technique on different exercises
- Reps and sets tracking – so that you can track your progress over time
- Heart rate monitoring – to optimize your workouts
- Real-time data syncing – so that your data is up to date
Finally, you’ll want a sports band with an easy-to-use interface that allows you to quickly start, pause, and end your workouts. That way you can focus on the task at hand without worrying about the technology.
If You’re An Athlete
Are you an athlete looking to take your performance to the next level? Then you’ll want a sports band that is specifically designed for athletes. In addition to the basics (activity tracking, step counting, heart rate monitoring, etc.), look for a sports band that has advanced features such as:
- GPS tracking – to accurately measure distance, speed, and other variables
- Metrics monitoring – to measure performance and progress over time
- Reps and sets tracking – for weight training, calisthenics, and other exercises
- Heart rate monitoring – so you can optimize your effort level and intensity
- Data analysis – to better understand how different variables impact your performance
- Integration with a comprehensive fitness app – to access more detailed information and data
Water sports require additional sensors (like a depth gauge) and water-resistant technology. So if you’re an athlete who swims, you’ll need to make sure the sports band you choose has these features.
At the very least, make sure it’s water-resistant so you can track your performance in the pool. Other sports that may require special features include track and field, golf, skiing/snowboarding, and cycling.
Before you buy a sports band, do a little research to make sure it has the features you need to monitor and track your progress in these activities. Reviews from other athletes can also be helpful.
If You’re Looking To Improve Your Overall Health
For those looking to make lifestyle and health changes, it’s important to have a sports band that will help you reach your goals. What most people don’t realize is you don’t need to hit the gym or become an athlete to benefit from wearing a sports band.
A basic activity tracker can provide valuable information about your daily activities and help you make healthier choices. Look for a sports band that offers:
- Activity tracking – to view your steps taken and distances traveled over time. Here, your NEAT activities (non-exercise activities) count too!
- Sleep tracking – to monitor your sleep quality and duration. This can give you insight into how your daily activities affect your sleep.
- Heart rate monitoring – to see how different activities impact your heart rate and overall health.
- Calorie counting – to accurately measure the calories burned and consumed.
- Integration with a fitness app – to access detailed data and analysis.
These are the basic qualities for a sports band that can help you improve your overall health. If you’re looking for something more comprehensive, look for a band that also includes:
- GPS tracking – to record your routes and distance traveled
- Advanced data analysis – to gain a better understanding of your overall performance
- Additional sensors – such as an altimeter to measure elevation changes
If you wish to free yourself from all the extra pounds that have been weighting you down for way too long, start using the BetterMe app and overhaul your entire life!
The BetterMe Band – An All-In-One Health And Fitness Tracker
- Activity Tracking: Track daily steps, calories burned, and distance traveled.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Monitor your heart rate during exercise to make sure you’re pushing yourself to your full potential.
- Sleep Tracking: Monitor your sleep quality and duration so you know when it’s time for a nap or some rest.
- Connectivity: Connect to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth to sync your data and get real-time feedback.
- Compatibility: Compatible with both Android and iOS devices, the BetterMe Band is the perfect companion for busy professionals or athletes.
- Battery Life: Built-in rechargeable battery that keeps the band going for up to 10 days on a single charge.
- Small and Lightweight Design: The band is small and lightweight, so you can easily wear it on your wrist or pocket all day long.
Perhaps, its most outstanding feature is free, lifetime access to BetterMe: Health Coaching. BetterMe is an innovative program designed to help users achieve their health and fitness goals with ease. Through the BetterMe app, the band offers additional features:
- Customizable Goals: Set and monitor personal goals, such as calorie goals or step count milestones.
- Nutrition Tracking: Track your caloric intake and make sure you’re eating the right amount of food to stay healthy and reach your fitness goals.
- Hydration Tracking: Monitor your water intake to make sure you’re getting enough fluids for your body.
- Access to Expert Coaching: Get personalized guidance and advice from experienced health coaches.
With its sleek and stylish design, easy-to-use interface, and powerful features, the BetterMe Band is the perfect health and fitness tracker for anyone looking to stay in shape and live a healthy lifestyle.
While the data collected from the BetterMe Band isn’t a replacement for professional medical advice, it can provide valuable insight into your daily activities and help you make healthier decisions.
The Bottom Line
By taking the time to choose the right sports band, you ensure that it meets your needs and helps you reach your fitness goals. So, if you’ve been looking for an easy way to track your progress and stay motivated, the BetterMe Band is the perfect solution.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- BetterMe Band (n.d., store.betterme.world)
- Running as a Key Lifestyle Medicine for Longevity (2017, nih.gov)
- Weight-Loss and Maintenance Strategies (2003, nih.gov)