Do you often look in the mirror and wonder how to get rid of that stubborn fat under your chin, that fat that doesn’t go away? Perhaps you even avoid taking pictures and feel self-conscious all the time. While a double chin is bothersome, it doesn’t indicate any medical condition. Factors like genes, weight, or age may cause your face to accumulate fat. Whatever the case, a double chin is treatable and can be eradicated by doing certain exercises and having a healthy diet. Ready to tone your face? Read on to learn about the best exercises to get rid of a double chin practically instantly.
How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin?
Double chin is the excessive accumulation of fat under your chin and neck, making your face appear bigger and rounder. A double chin may cause your jawline to disappear, and that’s why many people want to get rid of it.
A double chin may be attributed to several reasons.
The leading cause of double chin is being overweight. Fat accumulates rapidly under the skin, which is pretty noticeable from afar (1).
While many individuals get double chin due to obesity, others may get it due to their genes. Some individuals tend to store fat more than others due to their genetics.
Aging causes our skin to sag. As a result, our skin stretches and becomes loose, appearing as a double chin.
Our dietary preferences can impact our weight. Consuming carbohydrates and a sugary diet may lead to weight gain, which ultimately results in face fat (2).
Bad posture may also lead to a double chin as our platysma muscles (muscles around our neck and chin) become loose, leading to saggy skin.
The good news is that a double chin is not a lifelong condition. Making certain changes to your lifestyle, like eating healthy, working out, and living an active lifestyle, can help you overcome it. For obese individuals, doing facial exercises to eliminate a double chin can help them tone their faces. Even though double chin can be treated naturally, many others opt for surgical procedures like liposuction, facelift, and neck lift, where the surgeon removes the excess fat.
Read More: 4 Diet Chicken Recipes For Weight Loss
What Exercises To Do To Get Rid Of A Double Chin?
Want to get rid of a double chin? Take a look at the following top-notch exercises to get rid of a double chin fast (3).
Jaw Jut Exercise
Jaw Jut stretches your skin under your chin, helping you lose face fat easily. To perform straight jaw jut:
- Stand comfortably. Start by slowly tilting your head upward to face the ceiling.
- Push your jaw forward as you tilt, tightening your skin.
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds and return to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise a few times daily.
You can perform a variation of this exercise by tilting your head towards the ceiling, then tilting your head towards the right and pushing your jaw forward. Repeat the same with the other side.
Pucker Up Exercise
Pucker-up is similar to jaw jut as it involves puckering your lips. To do this exercise:
- Slowly tilt your head upwards to face the ceiling.
- Pucker your lips as if you are pouting toward the ceiling.
- You will feel a stretch under your chin. Maintain this position for about 5 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and repeat once or twice daily.
This exercise involves your tongue as it helps stretch muscles around your lips and contour your face. To perform this exercise:
- Open your mouth and propel your tongue outward.
- Extend your tongue forward as much as you can.
- Increase the intensity by tilting your tongue upward towards your nose.
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds and repeat twice daily.
The Lion’s Yawn Exercise
This exercise replicates the lion yawning, hence the name. To do this exercise:
- Sit or stand comfortably.
- Open your mouth wide as if you are yawning.
- Stick your tongue out as far as you can. You should feel a stretch in your jaw muscles.
- Repeat this exercise a few times daily.
This double chin exercise requires a medium-sized ball. It is one of the best neck exercises to get rid of a double chin. When doing this exercise:
- Hold the ball between your chin and chest by pressing your chin tightly on the ball.
- Exert pressure on the ball with your chin a few times.
- Repeat this exercise a few times daily.
The OO-EE exercise is a fun way to work out your facial muscles. To do this exercise:
- This exercise requires you to make OO-EE sounds with your voice.
- The idea is to stretch your muscles as much as possible while making those sounds.
- Repeat the activity a few times a day.
Specific workouts to get rid of double chin have helped many individuals lose face fat abruptly. Hence, incorporating these facial exercises into your daily workout plan is the best way to get rid of a double chin.
If you’ve mustered up the courage to crush your weight loss goal, let Betterme take the sting out of this demanding process. Our app will help you restructure your habits, remold your life and crank up your fitness results!
How Do You Get Rid Of A Double Chin Fast?
There is no single surefire way of losing a double chin rapidly. It all depends on your physical activity and diet. If you follow a strict diet and work out daily, you will start to see the results instantly. Do the following activities to lose a double chin fast.
We all loved chewing gum as adolescents. Little did we know it was actually helping our faces remain firm. Chewing gum exercises your facial muscles and tightens the skin. A good aspect of this is that you can do this virtually everywhere and at any time. Make a habit of chewing bubblegum daily to lose face fat fast, and watch the incredible results!
Facial massages work wonders in toning the skin. Massage improves blood flow toward the skin and melts fat when paired with laser therapy (4). Get a facial massage treatment once a week to see the results.
Oil pulling is repeatedly swishing oil, preferably olive oil, in your mouth. Oil pulling fights bad breath, cleans teeth, and helps you lose face fat. This happens because swishing exercises your jaw muscles.
To do oil pulling:
- Get a tablespoon of extra virgin olive or coconut oil.
- Swish oil in your mouth repeatedly for about 10 minutes.
- Spit oil and wash your mouth thoroughly.
Do this activity daily, preferably before brushing your teeth in the morning.
- Boil a pan of water and add a few green tea leaves.
- Simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add honey and sip green tea daily.
Pamper your skin and shed face fat by applying certain face masks rich with antioxidants and vitamin E. Using egg whites, honey, lemon juice, and olive oil in your face masks can help tone your jawline (6).
Take one egg white and mix it with milk thoroughly. Then add honey and mix the concoction. Apply the mixture on your chin and neck and leave it until the mixture dries. Wash off with lukewarm water.
You should also look into the following skincare massages to tighten your skin.
Wheat Germ Oil Massage
Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that may help to tighten the skin (7). Massage a few drops of wheat germ oil under your chin and neck for about 10 minutes before bed. Leave it overnight and wash with lukewarm water in the morning.
Olive Oil Massage
Olive oil is the best ingredient, rich in antioxidants and skin-tightening properties. Warm a tablespoon of olive oil and apply it on your neck and chin before bed. Leave it overnight and wash with lukewarm water in the morning.
Vitamin E Massage
Vitamin E oil capsules are the most-loved ingredient in skincare routines. Open a few capsules in your palm and massage the oil on your neck and under your chin a few times a week to see the results.
Can Exercise Get Rid Of A Double Chin?
Doing exercises to get rid of the double chin daily burns face fat and reduces the double chin. It is important to note that doing facial exercises alone will not reap the result you want. You must also eat, drink healthily, and lead an active lifestyle to witness the transformation.
Perform the following fast face exercises to get rid of a double chin:
Tongue Press Exercise
To perform tongue press:
- Close your mouth and press your tongue upwards on the palate.
- Tilt your head upward and sideways as you press the tongue to feel the pressure.
- Repeat this exercise daily.
Side Neck Stretch
Stretching your neck sidewise may tighten the skin on the sides, helping you get a leaner neck. To do a side neck stretch:
- Sit comfortably on the chair or ground.
- Hold your head with your right hand and push your head towards the right with your hand.
- You will feel a stretch in your neck. Do this with the other side.
- Perform this exercise for about 5 minutes daily.
Rotating your neck engages all the muscles in your face and neck. Rotate your neck in a circular motion for about 3 minutes daily.
Jaw Shaper Exercise
This exercise is good for shaping your jaw and reducing double chin. To do this exercise:
- Place your right elbow on the palm of your left hand.
- Make a fist with your right hand and place it beneath your chin.
- Exert pressure on the fist by opening and closing your mouth.
- Repeat this exercise for about 5 minutes daily.
Hands-On Eyebrows Exercise
This exercise uses resistance to strengthen the muscles around the eyebrows (8). To perform this exercise:
- Place the edge of your palms on your eyebrows.
- Raise your eyebrows as if you are surprised or suspicious.
- Maintain this position for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat this a few times daily.
If you tend to smile more than others, you must use your habit to your advantage. Smile as wide as you can, making a few variations and stretching the different muscles in your face.
Say goodbye to that double chin and hello to a sleeker face by adding these easy-peasy workouts to your daily exercise routine!
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
How Can I Lose My Double Chin In A Week?
Losing fat naturally is a gradual process that requires patience and perseverance. However, if you wish to get rid of a double chin fast, you can opt for surgical procedures. They come in invasive and non-invasive methods. You can go for either one you like.
Injection lipolysis, or Kybella, is the FDA-approved non-invasive chemical treatment for removing a double chin. The injection is inserted in areas where you need to lose fat. The process destroys the fat cells in the site.
Deoxycholic acid is mostly used for injection lipolysis. It is naturally found in the gallbladder, where it dissolves dietary fat. The process is done under local anesthetic in a single setting. It usually takes two sessions and sometimes up to six sessions.
You may be called for the second treatment after a 4 or 5-week gap. The side effects are mild and may include swelling, pain, redness, or stiffness. You will likely see the results after 6 to 8 weeks (9).
CoolSculpting is another non-invasive method where a vacuum-pressured device is used to freeze the fat cells in the area. The fat and skin are sucked into a suction cup, frozen, and warmed during the process. This is known as apoptosis, and it destroys the fat cells (10).
One session of CoolSculpting takes about 45 minutes. Its side effects may include discomfort and redness.
Liposuction is the invasive method where the surgeon removes excess fat via a tube. Liposuction is done under a general anesthetic. The surgeon makes a small incision on your chin and inserts a tube to pull out the face fat. Liposuction is the fastest method to lose face fat (11).
You can also opt for face and neck lifts. These treatments usually fall under cosmetic therapies and help you look better. In a facelift, the surgeon removes excess fat around your chin to tone your face.
In the neck lift, the surgeon removes extra skin from the neck. This is known as cervicoplasty. Whereas in platysmaplasty, the surgeon tightens the neck muscles. Sometimes, surgeons combine these two lifts for better results (12).
Your surgeon may recommend a second treatment, depending on your skin. The recovery time of these procedures lasts up to two weeks. You may experience normal swelling.
These methods are the quickest ways of getting rid of a double chin. But it is vital to note that these methods are a one-time treatment. You need to maintain an active lifestyle to keep in shape.
If you wish to skip a surgical procedure, you can get at-home applicators that use laser therapy to target skin fat. These devices use low-length waves and help melt face fat in targeted areas.
Simultaneously, follow these tips to avoid a double chin:
- Avoid eating processed and sugary diets, including sodas, artificial sugars, and beverages. Instead, opt for fruits and healthy meals. Consume low-fat dairy foods and avoid fried food too.
- Try to do portion control and eat food in dedicated portions.
- Reduce sugar intake and try to consume lean proteins such as fish.
- Replace artificial foods with vegetables and limit your caloric intake.
- Work out daily and keep a check on your weight.
- Avoid hunching and practice good posture.
- Try to consume more fat-burning foods like eggs and nuts.
- Consume more fat-burning foods like oats, nuts, and eggs.
The Bottom Line
Are you ready to face the fat and trim it away!
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is akin to losing face fat. Performing the essential exercises to get rid of double chin tones your face and tightens your skin. You can also opt for surgical procedures if you do not notice any difference with these exercises. When working on a double chin, it is important to consult with your physician or a fitness trainer before starting any medical or physical procedure.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- How to get rid of a double chin? (2023, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Sugar consumption, metabolic disease, and obesity: The state of the controversy (2015, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- How Can I Get Rid of My Double Chin? (2022, healthline.com)
- Objective analysis of the effectiveness of facial massage using breakthrough computed tomographic technology: A preliminary pilot study (2022, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- 10 Evidence-Based Benefits of Green Tea (2020, healthline.com)
- Are egg white face masks good for your skin? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Wheat Germ Oil: The Vegetable Oil with Ample of Benefits (2022, healthifyme.com)
- Facial Exercises for Eyebrows (n.d., livestrong.com)
- Fat Busters: Lipolysis for Face and Neck (2018, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Apoptosis: A Review of Programmed Cell Death (2007, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- NECK CONTOURING GUIDE (n.d., americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org)