You’re tired of considering medication and nauseating foods to lose weight. Did you know coffee with cinnamon benefits weight loss and more? Weight loss is a pain no one asks for, and you’d love to learn secrets to naturally enhance your weight loss journey. Spicy lattes, herbal teas, and fragrant coffees are aromatic pleasures that may help you lose weight, eat less, and have a faster metabolism. Meanwhile, aromatic coffee blends have other benefits to improve your health. Let’s discover the fantastic world of spicy coffee.
Is Cinnamon In Coffee Good For You?
You must break up the ingredients to know your options better. Let’s start with coffee. Moderation is the key to healthy coffee and caffeine consumption. Johns Hopkins Medicine recommends three to five cups daily to enjoy the benefits (1). Some coffee in moderation benefits includes (1):
- Better glucose regulation
- Lower risk of Parkinson’s Disease
- A healthy liver
- Fewer DNA strand breakages
- Lower risk of stroke
Then, let’s focus on two healthy cinnamons to see whether adding them to coffee is good for you. Registered Dietician Kathleen Zelman recommends Saigon cinnamon as a healthy choice (24). Meanwhile, Dr. Muhammad Juber suggests using Ceylon cinnamon (8).
Adding recommended cinnamon to moderate coffee brings many health and weight loss benefits. Let’s see what awaits you.
Coffee With Cinnamon Powder Benefits
Coffee with aromatic cinnamon will surprise you once you discover how healthy the combo is beyond the sharp taste. Spicy lattes and coffees are trending, but let’s find out why people love them beyond the taste and smell.
Cinnamon Has Many Nutrients And Vitamins
The USDA shows cinnamon has numerous nutrients and vitamins to help you stay healthy (21). It contains health-promoting vitamins A, B6, C, and K. Here are some of the nutrients in one tablespoon of ground cinnamon:
- Dietary Fiber: 4.4 g
- Calcium: 78 mg
- Iron: 0.649 mg
- Magnesium: 4.68 mg
- Manganese: 1.36 mg
- Phosphorus: 4.99 mg
- Potassium: 33.6 mg
- Zinc: 0.143 mg
Cinnamon Helps You Cut Sugar
Consuming less sugar in your daily coffee already benefits your life. Registered Dietician Natalie Butler confirms cinnamon is a fantastic replacement for sugar (12). Harvard Health reminds you of added sugar dangers, including high blood pressure and weight gain (28).
Cinnamon In Coffee Is A Daily Antioxidant
The Cleveland Clinic explains cinnamon has antioxidants in an ingredient called cinnamaldehyde (2). The component is a natural antioxidant that reduces inflammation in your body. Inflammation is disastrous when uncontrolled.
Cinnamon Fights Allergies
Sometimes, you wish allergies would go away. Ceylon cinnamon extract proves helpful in reducing unwanted inflammation and allergy responses. The University Medical Center at Mainz found Ceylon cinnamon could stop autoimmune and allergic reactions (14).
Cinnamon Relieves Common Colds And Influenza
The Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital recommends using half a teaspoon of cinnamon with honey daily to combat flu and cold symptoms (10). The blend will clear your sinuses and relieve other symptoms over three days.
Read More: The Top Benefits And Drawbacks Of Drinking Coffee After Workout
Cinnamon Improves Your Immune System
The Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences confirmed that cinnamon has antibacterial properties (3). Cinnamon helps your body defend against infections from gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. This means, you could have an immune system boost.
Cinnamon Regulates Glucose And Insulin
The University of Baghdad found that one teaspoon of cinnamon daily improved fasting blood glucose levels after 12 weeks (5). Meanwhile, the Istanbul Medipol University found that cinnamon increased insulin sensitivity to absorb more glucose in the body (26).
Cinnamon Boosts Brain Power
The Birjand University of Medical Sciences reviewed cinnamon and cognitive functions (11). The university examined 40 studies to conclude that cinnamon improved cognitive functions with three components. Cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, and cinnamic acid improved brain power.
Cinnamon Is Good For Blood Pressure
The Mashhad University of Medical Sciences found that cinnamon affects blood pressure positively (13). The ingredient showed a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure after 90 days. It’s an excellent complementary treatment for people with stage one hypertension.
Cinnamon May Boost Heart Performance
The Tabriz University of Medical Sciences tested the effect of cinnamon and aerobics on heart function (25). Cinnamon works well combined with aerobics to reduce lipid fats and bad cholesterol. Hence, overall heart functions improve with the combination.
Cinnamon Reduces The Risk Of Cancer
The Kashan University of Medical Sciences studied the anti-cancer properties of cinnamon (4). Cinnamon successfully interferes with the apoptosis pathways in cancer cells. Cinnamon successfully reduces the risk of cancer and may slow cell mutilation.
Cinnamon Protects The Brain
The Birjand University of Medical Sciences found cinnamon protected the brain from degenerative disorders while improving cognitive functions (11). Your risk of Parkinson’s, dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disease is reduced when you enhance brain functions.
Betterme will keep you laser-focused on your weight loss journey! Nutrient-packed meal plans, fat-blasting workouts, galvanizing challenges and much more. Try using the app and see for yourself!
Black Coffee With Cinnamon Benefits
WebMD recommends drinking black coffee to pursue weight loss or management (6). The caffeine in black coffee may help weight loss. Drinking black coffee 30 minutes to four hours before eating can help you eat less. Adding weight loss spices improves your chances.
Black Coffee With Cinnamon For Weight Loss
Registered Dietician Natalie Butler confirms cinnamon can complement weight loss (16). It can’t work alone and requires healthy eating. Still, the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties improve your overall wellness, allowing your body to process food better.
The Harvard School of Public Health found four cups of black coffee daily could encourage weight loss (22). The loss isn’t significant, but Harvard recorded an average drop of 4% in body fat after a 24-week study. Add cinnamon and boost the weight loss journey.
Cinnamon Smash Cravings
The Istanbul Medipol University Institute of Health Sciences studied cinnamon, glucose, and insulin (26). The study also revealed how cinnamon reduces cravings by regulating blood glucose levels. Poorly controlled blood glucose activates cravings.
Cinnamon Reduces Your Appetite
Brazil’s Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais studied cinnamon infusion for satiety levels (15). Cinnamon extract infusion reduces your appetite by telling your brain you’ve had enough. Meanwhile, it boosts your energy levels if you join an exercise program.
Cinnamon Speeds Up The Metabolism
The University of Michigan studied an ingredient called cinnamaldehyde found in cinnamon (9). Cinnamon is an excellent spice to boost weight loss through various mechanisms. The thermogenic genes induce metabolic reprogramming to speed things up.
The Shiraz University of Medical Sciences reviewed how black coffee or caffeine can speed metabolism (27). Caffeine stimulates your metabolism to burn fat faster. Combining cinnamon and caffeine in black coffee can double your metabolic benefits.
Other Ingredients With Coffee And Cinnamon For Weight Loss
Some other spices and ingredients can boost your weight loss pursuits while using cinnamon in coffee. Let’s discover how each element benefits weight loss, whether by suppressing your appetite or improving your metabolism.
Coffee With Cinnamon And Honey Benefits
Add honey to your cinnamon coffee for more benefits. The University of Wyoming tested honey as a weight-loss aid (18). Honey delays the ghrelin response and stops the glucose response. Raw honey suppresses the appetite, helping you in a weight loss journey.
Benefits Of Coffee With Cinnamon And Ginger
Adding ginger can also help weight loss. The Tabriz University of Medical Sciences studied how ginger ingredients affect weight loss (19). A component called zingiber in ginger helps to suppress your appetite and aids weight loss.
Coffee With Turmeric And Cinnamon Benefits
Turmeric doesn’t have much flavor, but it benefits your coffee joys. Johns Hopkins Medicine recommends adding turmeric to your lattes if you’d like to boost your metabolism (29). Turmeric may improve kidney health, reduce inflammation, and fight muscle aches.
Coffee With Fenugreek And Cinnamon Benefits
Fenugreek is a weird herb for coffee. Despite that, Better Me confirms how fenugreek seeds aid weight loss (20). Fenugreek seeds can promote weight loss or gain, depending on how you use them. However, fenugreek seeds suppress your appetite to aid weight loss.
Read More: How To Make A Traditional Coffee Truffle (And Other Coffee Recipes)
How To Make 5 Coffees With Spices For Weight Loss
Start your day with a spiced tea or coffee for health and weight loss benefits. Add coffee if you want spiced coffee, or leave out any caffeine ingredients for spiced hot water or tea.
How To Make Cinnamon Coffee With A Tropical Twist
Cinnamon coffee is great, but add some other ingredients to improve it. Dr. Taz specializes in Integrative Medicine (30). Dr. Taz recommends using this recipe to make cinnamon coffee for additional benefits and weight loss (17):
- Stir ½ tablespoon of coconut oil in eight ounces of black coffee.
- Mix ¼ tablespoon of Ceylon cinnamon into the coffee.
- Drink daily to enjoy the benefits.
How To Make Honey Cinnamon Coffee
Dr. Grant Tinsley encourages drinking cinnamon and honey in warm water to benefit your health (7). Make cinnamon honey coffee with these instructions:
- Put one teaspoon of cinnamon and ½ a teaspoon of honey in warm water.
- Mix it well before adding ½ a teaspoon of strong coffee.
How To Make Ginger Cinnamon Coffee
Dr. Grant Tinsley confirms ginger cinnamon coffee or tea is an excellent morning ritual for weight loss (23). Make ginger cinnamon coffee with these instructions:
- Use a small finger-sized portion of raw ginger.
- Boil the ginger in ½ cup of water.
- Strain the ginger root before adding ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon and coffee each.
How To Make Turmeric Cinnamon Coffee
Johns Hopkins Medicine recommends boiling raw turmeric root to flavor coffee (29). So, follow these instructions to make a new brew:
- Boil two chopped tablespoons of turmeric root for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water before adding ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Add one teaspoon of coffee and enjoy.
How To Make Sweet Fenugreek Cinnamon Coffee
Fortunately, fenugreek tastes and smells like maple syrup (20). So, brewing your coffee right will leave you with a sweet treat that helps you lose weight. Brew a cinnamon fenugreek coffee with these instructions:
- Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in boiling water overnight.
- Drain the water in the morning before heating it with the microwave.
- Add one teaspoon of coffee and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon to the hot water.
- Allow it to cool down before enjoying a sweet brew.
BetterMe app will kick you out of the mental funk, shake off your extra weight, rid you off your energy-zapping habits, and help you sculpt the body of your dreams. Intrigued? Hurry up and change your life for the better!
Is Coffee With Cinnamon Good For You?
Dr. Muhammad Juber recommends using Ceylon cinnamon as a delicate spice with various health benefits (8). Ceylon cinnamon has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties to positively influence your health.
Why Put Cinnamon In Coffee?
Registered Dietician Kathleen Zelman suggests Saigon cinnamon to your daily nutrition to benefit your health (24). Saigon or cassia cinnamon is one of the most common in the US. Cassia cinnamon may reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and Alzheimer’s.
Does Cinnamon In Coffee Help You Lose Weight?
Johns Hopkins Medicine confirms cinnamon regulates blood glucose better to help your body process food healthily (1). Better blood glucose levels ensure you burn fat and maintain proper body weight. Irregular blood glucose causes weight gain.
How Much Cinnamon Goes In Coffee For Weight Loss?
Johns Hopkins Medicine recommends adding ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon to coffee for its weight loss benefits (1). However, restrict your coffee to three to five cups daily. In addition, pregnant women should consult with their obstetricians before drinking caffeine.
The Bottom Line
Cassia, Saigon, and Ceylon cinnamon blended in coffee are more than a fragrant pleasure. It has 20 benefits to help you lose weight and maintain better health. Black coffee is the key to ensuring cinnamon coffee works in your favor. On that note, brew your first pot and enjoy.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 9 Reasons Why (the Right Amount of) Coffee Is Good for You | Johns Hopkins Medicine (n.d., hopkinsmedicine.org)
- 3 Potential Health Benefits of Cinnamon – Cleveland Clinic (2021, clevelandclinic.org)
- Antibacterial Effects of Cinnamon: From Farm to Food, Cosmetic and Pharmaceutical Industries – PMC (2015, nih.gov)
- Anti-cancer effects of cinnamon: Insights into its apoptosis effects – PubMed (2019, nih.gov)
- Anti-diabetic and antioxidant effect of cinnamon in poorly controlled type-2 diabetic Iraqi patients: A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial – PubMed (2016, nih.gov)
- Black Coffee: Health Benefits, Nutrients per Serving, and More (2022, webmd.com)
- Can honey and cinnamon help with weight loss? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Ceylon cinnamon: Health Benefits, Nutrients per Serving, Preparation Information, and More (2022, webmd.com)
- Cinnamaldehyde induces fat cell-autonomous thermogenesis and metabolic reprogramming – Metabolism – Clinical and Experimental (2017, metabolismjournal.com)
- Cinnamon- a natural treatment for Common Cold & Flu – Health Tips from Kokilaben Hospital (n.d., kokilabenhospital.com)
- Cinnamon and cognitive function: a systematic review of preclinical and clinical studies – PubMed (2023, nih.gov)
- Cinnamon and diabetes: Effect on blood sugar and overall health (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Cinnamon effects on blood pressure and metabolic profile: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in patients with stage 1 hypertension – PMC (2021, nih.gov)
- Cinnamon extract inhibits allergen-specific immune responses in human and murine allergy models – PubMed (2020, nih.gov)
- Cinnamon Infusion Reduces Satiety and Increases Energy Intake: A Randomized Crossover Trial – PubMed (2022, nih.gov)
- Cinnamon powder: Benefits, risks, and tips (2017, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Coffee for Weight Loss – 3 Ingredient Tricks to Burn Fat + Boost Metabolism (n.d., doctortaz.com)
- Effect of honey versus sucrose on appetite, appetite-regulating hormones, and postmeal thermogenesis – PubMed (2010, nih.gov)
- Effect of Zingiber officinale Supplementation on Obesity Management concerning the Uncoupling Protein 1 -3826A>G and ß3-adrenergic Receptor Trp64Arg Polymorphism – PubMed (2015, nih.gov)
- Fenugreek For Weight Gain Or Weight Loss: The Truth According To Science – BetterMe (2022, betterme.world)
- FoodData Central: Spice, Cinnamon, Ground (2019, usda.gov)
- Four cups of coffee a day associated with a modest loss of body fat | News | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (2020, hsph.harvard.edu)
- Ginger for weight loss: How it works and how to consume it (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Saigon Cinnamon: Health Benefits, Nutrients per Serving, Preparation Information and More (2022, webmd.com)
- The Effect of Cinnamon Extract and Long-Term Aerobic Training on Heart Function, Biochemical Alterations, and Lipid Profile Following Exhaustive Exercise in Male Rats – PMC (2014, nih.gov)
- The Effect of Different Amounts of Cinnamon Consumption on Blood Glucose in Healthy Adult Individuals – PMC (2019, nih.gov)
- The effects of caffeine intake on weight loss: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials – PubMed (2018, nih.gov)
- The sweet danger of sugar – Harvard Health (2022, health.harvard.edu)
- Turmeric Benefits | Johns Hopkins Medicine (n.d., hopkinsmedicine.org)
- Wellness Expert & Best Selling Author – Dr. Taz Bhatia, M.D. | Dr Taz (n.d., doctortaz.com)