When it comes to fasting, a lot of things can come into play. First, you have to consider factors such as the fasting method used, the goal of one’s fasting, and the nutrition plan to follow. When it comes to the nutrition plan, each meal plan has various foods that you can and cannot eat while following it. These restrictions are meant to help you concentrate on the foods that will help you reap the desired outcomes. So what can you eat and drink while practicing intermittent fasting? Can you drink bulletproof coffee while fasting? Let us find out!
In this article, we will answer whether or not you are recommended to consume bulletproof coffee during an intermittent fast. We will also look at a simple, bulletproof coffee recipe and the benefits and risks of taking this beverage while fasting. With that said, stay tuned if you are set to start intermittent fasting soon or have been thinking of preparing bulletproof coffee.
What Is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee refers to a drink that is made up of coffee, butter, and oil (8). It tends to be creamy and served while warm, making it pretty similar to a latte. It is a relatively new beverage in the market, meaning research has yet to be conducted to scrutinize if it possesses any risks to the consumer. However, as of now, experts can say that it results in the following health benefits (8):
- Maintenance of high energy levels throughout the morning
- Hunger prevention
- Improved mental focus
Can You Have Bulletproof Coffee While On Keto?
Different eating plans advocate for the consumption of specific types of foods. For this reason, you have to be familiar with what you can and cannot eat in any nutrition plan. When it comes to the keto diet, there are various foods you need to avoid.
For example, you are not allowed to consume foods with high carbohydrate content. A ketogenic diet tends to have a low carbohydrate content but a high amount of healthy fats. When it comes to consuming bulletproof coffee, experts acknowledge that this practice is relatively common in this eating plan.
According to Medical News Research, promoters of bulletproof coffee acknowledge that this drink fits in the keto diet because it has fat but no carbs (8). Again, they argue it fits this eating plan because the body converts MCT oil to ketones. However, no research has yet been conducted on the potential health benefits and risks of incorporating bulletproof coffee into a keto diet (8).
You might have seen numerous questions online about the bulletproof coffee intermittent fasting link. Besides taking this beverage while on keto, dieters are also curious to know if you can have this drink while fasting. Yes, you can. Bulletproof coffee is deemed effective while fasting, primarily intermittent fasting, because it has ingredients which increase your satiety levels.
In case it slipped your mind, intermittent fasting refers to a fasting plan whereby an individual fasts for 16 hours a day and then consumes all of their calories in the remaining 8 hours. This fasting plan is also called the 16:8 plan or 16:8 intermittent fasting (1).
During these 16 hours, you cannot consume as you feel like. Instead, there are specific foods that you are advised to consume, some of which include (1):
- Whole grains. You can consume grains such as barley, quinoa, oats, and brown rice in this category.
- Lean proteins. Some of the best lean protein sources include tofu, beans, fish, poultry, low-fat cottage cheese, lentils, eggs, seeds, and nuts.
- Fruits and vegetables. There are numerous fruits and vegetables you can consume during your intermittent fast. Some of these include fruits like melons, berries, oranges, apples, kiwifruit, mangoes, and so forth. You can choose to have broccoli, kale, spinach, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, and so many more for vegetables.
- Healthy fats. You can obtain healthy fats from sources like avocados, fatty fish, olives, olive oil, coconuts, coconut oil, seeds, and nuts.
Bulletproof coffee is allowed during intermittent fasting because it is classified as a healthful fat. This means that this beverage is responsible for contributing to satiety.
Intense sweat sessions, working weight loss tips, lip-smacking recipes come in one package with the BetterMe app. And all of it is at your fingertips, start transforming your life now!
Luckily, you can easily prepare this drink from the comfort of your home. It will only take you roughly five minutes. Here is everything you need to know about how you are supposed to make this drink (2):
- One cup Bulletproof Coffee (brewed)
- One to two tablespoons Brain Octane C8 MCT oil
- One to two tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or one to two tablespoons grass-fed ghee
Note: If you have never had this beverage, the best way to approach it is by starting with the minimal servings. For instance, instead of using two tablespoons of grass-fed butter, you are recommended to begin with one tablespoon.
You can increase the servings to two tablespoons after a few days or a week or as instructed by your dietitian. But, again, as a beginner, it is advisable to stick to the recipe and avoid making any changes or modifications. If need be, talk to a professional before making any adjustments to the recipe.
This recipe is exact, and it asks an individual to either use grass-fed butter or ghee. According to experts, grass-fed butter is preferred due to its creamy consistency (2). Besides the creaminess, this product also contains quality fats that help in keeping you fuller for longer.
The aspect of keeping you fuller for longer is crucial while you are fasting. Since you are not eating anything, this product comes in handy in keeping you fueled and less hungry. Experts also have advocated for this product in this recipe because it contains essential vitamins and minerals.
For one, it has butyrate, the fatty acid CLA, vitamin A (beta-carotene), and some omega- 3 fatty acids. All these vitamins and minerals play a crucial role in our bodies. For instance, vitamin A helps in preventing a range of health problems, including (5):
- Fertility issues
- Night blindness
- Delayed growth in children
- Infections, mainly in the throat, abdomen, and chest
- Follicular hyperkeratosis, a condition that can lead to dry and bumpy skin
If you cannot access or find grass-fed butter, the only substitute you can use is grass-fed ghee. Do not use another alternative without seeking professional advice.
The other specific ingredient that is required to make bulletproof coffee for fasting is this MCT oil. MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides. This oil is the very reason why this type of beverage is considered appropriate in a keto diet.
To remind you, the keto diet is the type of nutrition plan that focuses on foods providing numerous healthful fats, adequate amounts of protein, and limited carbohydrates (10). This eating plan aims to help an individual obtain more calories from healthy fats instead of carbohydrates.
According to experts, the MCT oil boosts ketone production while taking a keto diet (1). Several MCT oils are produced, but the Brain Octane C8 MCT oil tends to stand out and is ranked as the best (2). Here are some solid reasons why experts consider this oil a staple in making Bulletproof Coffee (2):
- It is pure. MCT oil is obtained from 100% coconut oil. Brain Octane C8 MCT oil only happens to be triple-distilled and purified with water, pressure, and heat (2). The lack of additional products means the oil is pure, making it an excellent healthy fat choice in the keto diet.
- Its taste is convenient. The Brain Octane C8 MCT oil is flavorless and odorless, unlike other MCT oils. These two elements make it suitable for individuals who hate using oils that have overwhelming tastes and smells.
- It is of high quality. The Brain Octane C8 MCT oil has been produced as per the quality standards.
- Its effectiveness. The MCT oils are converted into ketones and free medium-chain fatty acids that are highly effective energy sources in the brain (6). The molecular structure of the Brain Octane C8 MCT oil is four times more effective than that of plain coconut oil (2). This means that it is more effective at raising your ketone levels to the point where your body is running more on fat than glucose (2).
To make Bulletproof Coffee, you will need to do the following (2):
- Brew one cup, roughly eight to twelve ounces of coffee using Bulletproof Coffee beans. This means you will have to purchase these coffee beans for this recipe.
- Add the coffee, Brain Octane C8 MCT oil, and butter to a blender. Remember to use grass-fed ghee if you do not have grass-fed butter.
- Blend for about twenty to thirty seconds or until you get a creamy latte.
- Serve and enjoy.
Whether you’re looking to simply pep up your fitness routine, jazz up your diet with mouth-watering low-calorie recipes or want to get your act together and significantly drop that number on your scale – BetterMe app has got you covered! Improve your body and revamp your life with us!
The following recipe makes only one cup of this beverage. The nutritional information of this one cup of beverage is as shown below (2):
- Calories- 230
- Total fat- 25 g
- Total carbohydrates- 0 g
- Fiber- 0 g
- Protein- 0 g
- Saturated fat- 21 g
- Sugar- 0 g
- Salt- 0 mg
Note: The nutritional information of the Bulletproof Coffee you have each time may vary, depending on the ingredients you use. Some people may use typical coffee beans and butter, which affects the nutritional profile tremendously.
These two ingredients also have varying nutritional profiles compared to the grass-fed butter and bulletproof coffee beans. According to WebMD, the nutritional profile of the typical coffee and butter is as follows (3):
The nutritional content of one cup of coffee is as shown below:
- Calories- 2
- Proteins- 0 g
- Total fat- 0 g
- Total carbohydrates- 0 g
One tablespoon of butter has the following nutrients:
- Calories- 102
- Protein- 0 g
- Cholesterol- 32 mg
- Saturated fat- 7 g
- Protein- 0 g
- Fat- 12 g
- Total carbohydrates- 0 g
If you were to use these two in your recipe and then add MCT oil, the nutritional information of the end product would vary significantly. Remember that MCT oil also has its nutrients, which according to WebMD, are as shown below (3):
- Calories- 130
- Protein- 0 g
- Total carbohydrates- 0 g
- Total fat- 14 g
- Saturated fat- 14 g
In light of this, it is essential to consult on the ingredients to use, especially if you are consuming this beverage on your keto diet. Also, if you follow keto for weight loss, you need to be sure that all your recipes help you maintain a calorie deficit.
Whether you are fasting or not, excessive consumption of this drink may have various side effects. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), individuals are supposed to limit their saturated fat consumption. Therefore, only 5 to 6 % of an individual’s calories should come from saturated fat. This estimate rounds up to around 13 g of saturated fat daily (7).
Unfortunately, most people do not know of this limit or tend to overlook it. Lack of such knowledge increases your risk of the following:
High Cholesterol Levels
Consuming large amounts of saturated fat tends to raise your cholesterol levels (8). High cholesterol is linked to the increased risk of various conditions, including stroke, coronary heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and peripheral vascular disease (4).
In all these diseases, the high cholesterol levels can lead to fatty plaques building up in the arteries all over your body (4). To prevent these health conditions, you are recommended to limit or regulate your intake of saturated fat.
Talk to your dietitian and healthcare provider to determine how long you should consume Bulletproof Coffee whether or not you are fasting. Ask them also to recommend a safe serving that aligns with your daily calorie intake.
Remember that coffee contains caffeine, which is very beneficial if taken in moderation. According to Medical News Today, taking coffee in regulated amounts may help an individual reap the following benefits (9):
- Increased alertness as a 75-mg serving of caffeine boosts attention and alertness.
- Increased sports performance as the European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) suggests that caffeine increases endurance performance, endurance capacity and reduces perceived exertion (9).
- Weight loss increase as caffeine suppresses appetite and stimulates thermogenesis, making the body generate more heat and energy from digestion.
- Increased brain functioning as caffeine affects adenosine receptors in the brain.
However, all these benefits may not be reaped if you do not regulate the amount of coffee you consume. Some potential health risks that come with consuming excessive amounts of coffee include (9):
- Worsened symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Increased blood glucose levels, especially among individuals with type 2 diabetes. Some studies also reveal that too much caffeine may impair insulin action causing a small but detectable rise in blood sugar levels after meals.
- Fertility issues. Research also indicates that caffeine may reduce muscle activity in the fallopian tubes. This could mean reducing a woman’s chances of getting pregnant by about 27 % (9).
- Increased risk of a gout attack, especially among individuals with the condition.
Yes, Bulletproof Coffee can be consumed while fasting because it contains healthy fats that keep you full for longer. However, the evidence is not convincing enough to make you include it in your fasting diet plan.
As with any other food, the only time you can include it in your nutrition plan is when you get the green light to do so from your nutritionist. Always consult with a professional because, down the line, some dietary changes may prove fatal than advantageous. Again, consult because you need advice about how long you should fast and drink this beverage.
The Bottom Line
Bulletproof coffee is a new beverage that has been deemed effective when consumed by individuals who are fasting or on keto. It has high traces of healthy fats that help in increasing your satiety levels. The main ingredients you need to prepare this beverage are grass-fed butter or ghee, bulletproof coffee beans, and MCT oils. As always, talk to a professional before making any dietary changes.
Supplement your diet with some exercise to double your results.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on for decision-making. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- A guide to 16:8 intermittent fasting (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Bulletproof Coffee Recipe (2021, bulletproof.com)
- Butter Coffee: Is It Good for You? (2020, webmd.com)
- Diseases Linked to High Cholesterol (2021, webmd.com)
- Everything you need to know about vitamin A (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Medium chain triglyceride diet reduces anxiety-like behaviors and enhances social competitiveness in rats (2018, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Saturated Fat (2021, heart.org)
- What are the health benefits of bulletproof coffee? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What does caffeine do to your body? (2017, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Why is the keto diet good for you? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)