Losing weight can seem overwhelming—where do you start? How do you keep at it? Which way works best for your body and your lifestyle? The truth is, there is no single answer to these questions. Just as each person’s body and lifestyle are unique, so is each person’s weight-loss journey. This is why we’ve rounded up the best tips from around the web on how to lose weight and keep it off for good. No fad diets or quick fixes here—just sound advice from health experts and real women who have lost weight and have kept it off.
What’s The Best Way To Lose Weight?
The best way to lose weight is to do it slowly and steadily. Remember, you didn’t gain all your excess weight overnight, so you can’t expect to lose it that quickly either. A safe and sustainable rate of weight loss is about 1-2 pounds per week.
There are two things you should focus on if you’re trying to lose weight:
- Eating fewer calories than you burn
- Increasing your physical activity
In this article, we’ll focus on physical activity—how to create and stick to a weight loss workout plan.
Read More: How To Create A Workout Plan?
How To Make A Workout Plan For Weight Loss
Your weight loss workout plan should consist of both cardiovascular exercise and strength training. Cardio burns calories and helps reduce body fat, while strength training helps build muscle.
The best way to lose weight is to do a combination of the two—cardio to burn calories and strength training to help build muscle (1).
When you’re first starting out, aim for three days of cardio and two days of strength training per week. As you get more fit, you can increase the amount of cardio and add in more strength-training exercises.
To do cardio workout at home for weight loss, you can try:
- Jogging or running
- Jumping rope
- Swimming laps
- Riding a bike
- Doing a cardio workout DVD
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to how long your cardio workout should be. Just make sure you’re working at a moderate to high intensity for at least 30 minutes.
BetterMe app will kick you out of the mental funk, shake off your extra weight, rid you off your energy-zapping habits, and help you sculpt the body of your dreams. Intrigued? Hurry up and change your life for the better!
A full body workout for weight loss should include exercises that target all the major muscle groups in your body—legs, arms, back, abs, chest, and shoulders. This beginner weight loss workout by BetterMe is a great place to start.
If you’re looking for more of a challenge, you can try an advanced workout with more reps and sets.
When you’re first starting out, aim for two to three days of strength training per week. As you get more fit, you can increase the intensity of your weight loss workout plan at home.
Weight Loss Workout Tips
Now that you know how to create a weight loss workout plan, here are some tips to help you stick with it:
- Make it a priority: Just like you make time for your favorite TV show or coffee date, you need to make time for your workout. Put it in your calendar and commit to it.
- Find a workout buddy: A workout buddy can help you stay on track and motivated. Pick someone who has similar fitness goals as you. The BetterMe app can be a great companion throughout your weight loss journey, so try it out!
- Mix it up: Don’t get bored with your workout routine. Mix things up by trying new exercises, changing the order of your routine, or working out in a different location. You’ll find a variety of workouts and challenges on the BetterMe app to keep things interesting.
- Set realistic goals: Don’t expect to lose 20 pounds in two weeks—it’s just not realistic (or healthy). Set small, achievable goals that you can celebrate as you reach them.
- Reward yourself: When you reach your weight loss goals, give yourself a reward! This can be something small, like buying yourself a new workout outfit, or something bigger, like taking a trip.
What To Eat, And When
Your diet is just as important as physical activity when you’re trying to lose weight. To see results, you need to be in a calorie deficit, which means you’re eating fewer calories than you’re burning (2).
You can do this by:
- Reducing your portion sizes
- Cutting out high-calorie foods and drinks
- Eating more whole, unprocessed foods
- Eating more fruits and vegetables
- Cutting back on sugar
When you’re trying to lose weight, it’s important to eat three meals a day and two snacks. This will help to keep your metabolism going and prevent you from getting too hungry.
What To Eat Before Morning Workout
If you’re working out in the morning, it’s especially important to have a healthy breakfast that will give you energy for your workout.
Some good options include:
- Oatmeal with fruit
- A protein shake or smoothie
- Eggs with whole wheat toast
- A yogurt and granola parfait
Lean and toned up body isn’t just a far-fetched fantasy. Check out the BetterMe app and watch it propel your weight loss journey into high gear!
What To Eat After Workout
After your workout, it’s important to refuel your body with the right foods. Eating a healthy post-workout meal will help your body recover and build muscle.
Some good options include:
- A protein shake or smoothie
- Greek yogurt with berries
- A turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread
- Salmon with quinoa and vegetables
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re just starting out on your weight loss journey, or you’re looking for ways to mix things up, these weight loss workouts and tips will help you reach your goals. Remember to focus on both diet and exercise, and most importantly, have fun!
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults (2012, nih.gov)
- Diet and exercise (2021, mayoclinic.org)