A Perfect Weight Loss Diet Plan For Men
Is there a perfect weight loss diet plan for men? Many diet and exercise options for men tend to concentrate more on muscle growth and maintenance, and not enough on weight loss. This can be quite disheartening for men struggling with weight management or suffering from obesity. Here are tips and tricks on how to navigate a weight loss diet plan for men.
The Best Tips On How To Lose Weight Fast For Men
1. Have A Clear Goal In Mind
Having a set goal in mind instead of a general idea gives you something to work on.
2. Drink More Water
Water helps you lose weight as it is calorie-free, it helps burn more calories, and is a natural appetite suppressant. Water also reduces your overall daily calorie intake as it keeps you from drinking alcohol, soda, energy drinks, and juice full of empty calories.
3. Decrease Processed Carbs
Junk food and processed carbohydrates are the leading cause of weight gain and obesity. Remove them from your house and replace them with healthy snacks.
4. Start Exercising
Working out helps you burn more calories, which helps you lose weight. Incorporate more full-body workouts into your routine, which gives you the most benefits in less time.
5. Track Your Food
In a diet plan for weight loss, men tracking their calorie intake is a good idea. When you consume more energy than you use, all the extra food is turned into fat causing weight gain. Tracking your food intake via a trusted app ensures that you stay within your recommended calorie intake for weight loss.
6. Meal Prep
Meal or food prepping is one of the best ways for weight loss. Having food at the ready prevents you from buying or eating fast food, which leads to weight gain.
7. Portion Control
Minding your portions is another weight loss diet plan for men who would like to shed a couple of pounds.
8. Practice Mindful Eating
This involves eating slowly and without distraction and listening to physical hunger cues, among other things. This prevents binge eating and may promote weight loss (17).
9. Sleep More
Try getting 7 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. More sleep reduces cortisol levels in your body (19).
10. Eat A High-Protein Diet
This way of eating increases the feelings of fullness, decreases appetite, and reduces your calorie intake to aid in weight loss (1).
11. Do More Cardio Exercises
Cardio workouts can reduce belly fat, waist circumference, increase muscle mass, and overall body fat.
12. Do More HIIT Workouts
In 2012, a 12-week study of HIIT workouts in young men showed that this form of exercising could help reduce up to 17% of belly fat. It also reduced visceral fat and significantly increased fat-free mass and aerobic power (22).
13. Lift Weights
Lifting weights is a great way to build muscle. Not only will you burn calories while working out to build said muscles, but also muscles burn more calories than fat while at rest. Even when not working out, a pound of muscle will burn six to seven calories a day (21).
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
How To Pick The Best Weight Loss Diet Plan For Men?
When looking for a weight loss plan, please ensure that you opt for a well-balanced diet, instead of any eating plan that excludes one food group. A balanced diet gives your body the nutrients it needs to work effectively. Without proper and balanced nutrition, your body is more prone to disease, infection, fatigue, and low performance (3). A healthy weight loss plan for men should be high in protein and has both complex carbs and fats. Even your snacks should be healthy and nutritious, not full of unhealthy ingredients and empty calories (11).
It should also be flexible and likable to you. Flexibility means that it doesn’t forbid certain foods or food groups, but instead includes various foods from all the major food groups. On the other hand, likeability means that you should eat the foods that you genuinely enjoy, but not junk food. If you do not enjoy broccoli, do not eat it just because others do. Instead, opt for kale or spinach, which are also healthy and low in calories.
A Healthy Grocery List For Weight Loss
A weight loss diet plan for men with a grocery list comes in handy for anyone who is unsure about the right foods to buy to kickstart their weight loss journey. To make this process easier for you, here are some categories with some of the healthiest foods to help you shed those extra pounds:
Milk And Dairy Products
When it comes to dairy, some people believe that milk is not good for you because it has saturated fats and it is bad for your heart. However, there are different schools of thoughts (12). When it comes to nutrition, milk is high in calcium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin B-12, protein, potassium, zinc, magnesium, and selenium.
These minerals and nutrients in milk help provide multiple health benefits such as reducing the risk and progression of osteoarthritis, strengthening bones, and lowering blood pressure, thus reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke, preventing muscle loss, and helping with muscle growth. Milk may also boost your mood, appetite, and sleep. It has also been linked to the prevention of certain types of cancers (25).
Some dairy products that should be in your grocery list include:
- Fat-free or low-fat milk
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Low-fat cheeses (you can substitute for vegan cheese)
- Cottage cheese
For anyone who still does not want to include cow’s milk in their diet, you can substitute it with plant-based options such as:
- Almond milk
- Oat milk
- Soy milk – very high in protein
- Coconut milk
- Cashew milk
Eggs are fantastic as they can be used in breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as healthy snack options. Some of their health benefits include building stronger muscles, lowering the risk of heart diseases, boosting immunity, and brain health. They also aid in weight loss as they keep you fuller for longer (8).
- Whole free-range eggs
- Egg whites – low in fats and cholesterol, yet high in protein (7)
- Egg substitutes like tofu for vegans and anyone else who does not eat animal products
Everyone loves a good bowl of cereal in the morning. They are quick and convenient, especially when you are not willing. However, many popular kinds of cereals are full of sugar, which is not good for a weight loss diet plan for men. Instead of buying those, opt for either:
- Whole-grain or multigrain cereals
- Steel-cut or rolled oats
- Whole-grain cereal bars
Bread, Pasta, And Rice
There is no healthy weight loss diet plan for men that excludes carbohydrates. Even the popular low-carb diets we see have some carbs in them. Any eating plan that excludes food groups i.e., carbohydrates, should be considered a fad diet, and you should not attempt it.
However, this does not mean that you should indulge in all the bread, pasta, and rice that you desire. Your grocery list should include:
- Wild or brown rice
- Whole grain pasta
- Whole grain bread or whole wheat bread
The above options contain more fiber and fewer simple carbohydrates than their white and refined counterparts. It is also important to note that carbs are an essential part of a well-balanced diet as they are the body’s primary source of energy. Once consumed, they are broken down into glucose (blood sugar), which the body uses to give you energy (23).
Lean Red Meat
While consuming meat is a fantastic way of getting more protein in your diet, it can come with disadvantages such as extra fat and calories. To prevent this, it is advisable to get leaner cuts of meat from your butcher. You could also get your favorite cut of meat, but ask your butcher to trim off the excess fat for you.
Lean red meat is a great addition to a weight loss diet plan because it is an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, niacin, zinc, and iron. It is also great for heart health, as it does not raise total blood cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels (13). Other sources of lean protein include:
- Chicken, turkey, or duck breast
- Lean ground poultry
- Pork tenderloin
Not only are they a great source of protein, but they are also rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, something that the human body does not produce on its own. Oily fish helps protect against cardiovascular disease, lower the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, and may protect against early- and late-stage oral and skin cancers. When at the grocery store, reach out for:
However, be sure to stay away from shark, tilefish, swordfish, and marlin as they have a higher concentration of mercury, other heavy metals, and pollutants (10). If you choose to buy canned fish, opt for those packed in water instead of oil.
Not only are they healthy, but they are also good sources of complex carbohydrates and some key vitamins and minerals such as B complex vitamins, iron, folate, selenium, potassium, and magnesium. Whole grains are linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, and other health problems (26).
Concerning weight loss, whole grains are full of fiber, which helps with satiety. When you feel full, you are less likely to snack, preventing you from going over your daily energy intake for the day. Fantastic examples of whole grains include:
- Whole-grain rye
- Whole wheat
Dark Leafy Greens
Leafy greens are great for a weight loss diet plan for men because they are low in carbohydrates, sodium, and cholesterol. They also have many essential nutrients, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber, folate, vitamin K, magnesium, calcium, iron, and potassium (9). Dark leafy greens that should be on your healthy grocery list include:
- Collard greens
- Swiss chard
- Romaine Lettuce
They are low in calories and rich in folate, vitamins C, E, and K, and fiber. These vegetables have also been linked to reducing the risk of certain cancers such as prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, and breast cancer (6).
These vegetables include:
- Bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
Fruits And Vegetables
Fruit and vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C, and potassium. They’re an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help maintain a healthy gut and prevent constipation and other digestion problems. A diet high in fiber can also reduce your risk of bowel cancer (24).
Healthy starchy vegetables are also a fantastic part of a weight loss diet for men. They include (20):
- Sweet potatoes
Healthy fruits that you should incorporate in your diet include:
- Berries – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Passion fruits
Legumes and lentils are incredibly nutritious and filling. They are rich in fiber, protein, carbohydrate, B complex vitamins, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and phosphorus. They are also naturally low in fat, practically free of saturated fat, and cholesterol-free since they are plant foods (14).
Intense sweat sessions, working weight loss tips, lip-smacking recipes come in one package with the BetterMe app. And all of it is at your fingertips, start transforming your life now!
What Are Some Disadvantages Of A Fast Weight Loss Diet Plan For Men?
For healthy weight loss, it is recommended that you pick a plan that enables you to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. This is done via exercise and through a calorie deficit of 500 to 1000 calories a day (3500 to 7000 calories a week (5)).
Fast weight loss plans are those that:
- Promise fast and easy weight loss
- Eliminate certain food groups
- Recommend dietary supplements impressively labeled as fat burners, weight loss aids, and metabolism boosters
- Require you to eat one type of food i.e., the soup diet
While these diets could lead to weight loss, they may increase the risk of developing certain diseases, including cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes (27). Fad diets lead to rapid weight loss, which leads to gallstones, headaches, malnutrition, dehydration, constipation, and dizziness (18). People following fad diets are most likely to regain the lost weight once they go back to their regular eating habits.
Sample Of An Easy Weight Loss Diet Plan For Men
Below is a 1500 calorie weight loss diet for men:
Meal 1 – Breakfast
2 large eggs, 2 slices of protein bread, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1 tbsp peanut butter
Calories: 485. Fats: 23 g, Protein: 31 g, Carbs: 41 g
Meal 2 – Smoothie
1 cup pineapple chunks, 1 scoop whey protein, and 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Calories: 243. Fats: 7 g, Protein: 25 g, Carbs: 21 g
Meal 3 – Turkey burger (15)
302.39 g lean ground turkey, 17 g green onions, 13 g breadcrumbs, 20 g milk, 1/3 large egg, 25 g feta cheese, and salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste
For the sauce – 100 g Greek yogurt, 22 g cucumber, 27 g red onion, 3 g fresh dill, and salt and pepper to taste
These ingredients make 2 servings.
Calories for one serving: 404. Fats: 8 g, Protein: 49 g, Carbs: 31 g
Meal 4 – Grilled chicken salsa (16)
1 kg skinless chicken breast, 2 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tbsp chili powder, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 2 tbsp lime juice
For the salsa – 2 mangoes, 1/2 cup diced red pepper, 1/4 cup red onion, 2 tbsp cilantro, 1 small jalapeno pepper, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 avocado, and 1 tsp salt
This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
Calories for one serving: 351. Fats: 12.8 g, Protein: 37.2 g, Carbs: 23.2 g
Total Intake for the Day: Calories: 1483. Fats: 50.8 g, Protein: 142.2 g, Carbs: 116.2 g
How To Lose Fat And Gain Muscle?
Some tips to help you lose fat and gain muscle include (4):
- Eating more protein – Protein is the building block of your muscles. When you increase your protein intake and start strength training, it will promote muscle growth and help maintain muscle mass.
- Lose weight slowly – Fast weight loss leads to loss of muscle mass.
- Reduce your carb intake – This does not mean cutting them completely from your meals as you still need them to fuel your body. For muscle growth, carbs should be consumed two hours before your workout and right after your workout.
- Start strength training – Strength training helps build muscle and burn calories, which leads to weight loss.
Some mistakes to avoid when losing fat and building muscle include (2):
- Eating too little or too much – We all know that overeating will cause weight gain, but also eating too little makes your body hold on to fat and does not give you enough energy to help you lose weight while working out.
- Not minding your calories – Too much energy intake without enough energy expenditure leads to weight gain. Eating too little calories may cause weight gain, but it will lead to loss of muscle mass.
- Consumption of refined carbs – Cakes, cookies, biscuits, ice cream, potato chips, etc. should be eliminated or largely reduced from your meals.
- Skipping cardio and insufficient weight training – Cardio is primarily used for weight and fat loss, while weight training helps build muscles and burn calories. Both of these workouts should be done to help with weight loss and building muscle. Do not skip one for the other.
The Bottom Line
A weight-loss diet plan for men is truly not as complicated as one would think. For great results, your diet needs to be high in protein, low in carbohydrates, and includes healthy fats. You should avoid beer and other alcoholic drinks, soda, energy drinks, processed food (refined carbs), and added sugar as they will contribute to weight gain. That being said, please consult your doctor and dietitian before changing your diet and starting exercise.
Do you know that your body needs some exercise in addition to a proper diet? Check out this 20-min Full Body Workout at Home.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any medical conditions. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- A high-protein diet induces sustained reductions in appetite, ad libitum caloric intake, and body weight despite compensatory changes in diurnal plasma leptin and ghrelin concentrations (2005, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Avoiding Mistakes When Building Muscle and Losing Fat (2020, verywellfit.com)
- Balanced Diet (2020, healthline.com)
- Can You Gain Muscle While Losing Weight? (2016, health.usnews.com)
- Counting calories: Get back to weight-loss basics (2020, mayoclinic.org)
- Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention (2012, cancer.gov)
- Egg Whites Nutrition: High in Protein, Low in Everything Else (2018, healthline.com)
- Everything you need to know about eggs (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Health Benefits of Dark Green Vegetables (2020, verywellfit.com)
- Health benefits of oily fish (2017, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How to Choose the Best Weight Loss Foods for Men (2020, verywellfit.com)
- Is dairy good or bad for your health? (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Lean meat and heart health (2005, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Legumes: Health Benefits and Culinary Approaches to Increase Intake (2015, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Mediterranean Grilled Turkey Burgers (2018, theforkedspoon.com)
- MEXICAN SPICED GRILLED CHICKEN WITH NECTARINE SALSA (2020, panningtheglobe.com)
- Mindful Eating 101 — A Beginner’s Guide (2019, healthline.com)
- Rapid Weight Loss (2019, webmd.com)
- Sleep More, Weigh Less (2020, webmd.com)
- Starchy Vegetables and How to Enjoy Them (2020, verywellhealth.com)
- The Amount of Calories Muscles Burn (2020, verywellfit.com)
- The effect of high-intensity intermittent exercise on body composition of overweight young males (2012, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- The truth about carbs (2020, nhs.uk)
- Vegetables and Fruits (n.d, hsph.harvard.edu)
- What to know about milk (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Whole grains: Hearty options for a healthy diet (2020, mayoclinic.org)
- Why Fad Diets Are Bad and How to Avoid Them (2020, verywellfit.com)