Following the Covid-19 outbreak, most countries were forced to close down so many public areas, including fitness centers. With gyms closed, boredom and stress kicking in, and people working remotely, many reported unwanted weight gain. No matter how much we tried to stay fit, we could not help but give in to temptations of overeating and eating junk food. As a result many people got off their dieting and exercise programs. Now more and more are realizing they need to get back into a fitness routine. We have designed a quarantine workout challenge that is home friendly and can transform your body in no time! Check it out.
The 2 Week Quarantine Fitness Challenge
We have designed an easy quarantine home workout for anyone who wants to transform their physique in no time. Within we have incorporated practical activities to help you lose body fat and gain muscle mass, endurance, strength, coordination, and balance.
However, before you try this 14-day quarantine workout routine, we urge you to consult your doctor and trainer.
Now is the perfect time to work on your body. Even though most gyms may be still closed, you can exercise using a quarantine workout without equipment. It can be as effective as a gym workout.
Although we have combined a few weight training exercises and bodyweight exercises, do not worry, as all you need is a pair of dumbbells. For a twist, the challenge is divided into two workouts; workout A and workout B.
The two workouts are meant to break the monotony and further challenge your body muscles. So, you will start with workout A and in the following week perform workout B. If you want to keep up with the challenge for a month, you can continue alternating between the two workouts.
However, let us remind you that you need rest days to help your muscles grow and recover. Both workouts suggest you take two off days, preferably Wednesday and Sunday. Now here is the quarantine workout challenge:
Quarantine Workout Challenge: Workout A (Week 1)
- Dumbbell Thrusters
- Russian Twists
- Weighted Step Ups
- Donkey Kicks
- Lunge to Press
Quarantine Workout Challenge: Workout B (Week 2)
- Butterfly Bridges
- Squat Jumps
- Elbow Plank Hip Dip
- Side Leg Raises
- Curtsy Lunge
- Standing Overhead Presses
Read More: Swim Workout For Triathlon: The Ultimate Training Guide
The Exercises In The Quarantine Workout Challenge
Our team has conducted extensive research and compiled the very best exercise to transform your physique, as suggested by most health and fitness experts. The exercises include:
Quarantine Workout Challenge: Burpees (x 15)
Not only do some people hate this exercise, but they also consider it brutal. However, despite such talk, this exercise ranks top among the best activities to transform your body in no time. The good news is, you require no equipment but your body weight, and it tones your entire body at a go! Here is how you do burpees (1):
- Stand upright with your feet at hip-width distance and arms by your sides.
- Drop into a squatting position, meaning your knees are bent, your back is straight, and your hips are pushed backwards.
- Drop on the ground from this position into a push-up position. Your body must form a straight line.
- Perform one push up and jump to return to the squat position as fast as possible.
Standing Overhead Presses (x 20)
This exercise is effective in building functional strength and muscle mass. It also builds core stability and shoulder mobility. It targets the majority of your body muscles, including the trapezius muscles, obliques, lower back, core, and transverse abdominal muscles. Here is how you perform these presses:
- Stand upright with your feet at shoulder-width distance and hold a pair of comfortable dumbbells.
- Move the loads overhead and let your upper arms be parallel to the floor.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and start pushing your arms above your head, which will stretch your arms and move the loads towards the ceiling. Be sure to keep your feet firmly pressed on the floor, and head and neck stationary. Additionally, be sure to keep your back straight.
- Pause at the top of the movement before bending your elbows and lowering the weights back to your shoulder length until the triceps are parallel to the floor.
- Repeat to complete the reps.
Quarantine Workout Challenge: Dumbbell Thrusters (x 20)
The dumbbell thruster is an excellent compound exercise that combines a squat and the shoulder press. It targets the quads, shoulders, and glutes and helps improve balance, muscular coordination, and endurance. Here is how you perform these exercises:
- Hold dumbbells in each hand and by their handles such that the back of the load is resting above the back of your shoulder.
- Bend your knees and squat slightly but keep your legs aligned with your shoulders.
- Push through your legs and stretch them as you simultaneously raise your arms and lift the dumbbells above your head.
- Return to the squatting position and repeat.
Elbow Plank Hip Dip (x 15 on each side)
Say goodbye to muffin tops, belly fat, and hip dips because this exercise gets rid of them all. It is an effective waistline exercise that hardly misses in most workouts targeting this region. Here is how you perform this exercise (2):
- Get on your knees and hands and slowly stretch the legs behind you. Your body should form a straight line from your head to your toe. Keep your back straight and your head facing down.
- Slowly rotate your spine from this elbow plank position and lower your left hip just above the floor. Note that only your spine is rotating and not your entire body.
- Return to the elbow plank and lower the right hip slightly above the ground.
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
Lunge To Press (x 15 on each side)
This exercise is an excellent full-body exercise because lunging is ideal for your lower body, and pressing is perfect for your upper body. Combining them leads to an incredible and thorough full-body activity that improves your balance and coordination and helps with toning. To perform this exercise:
- Start in a standing position with dumbbells by your shoulders.
- Take a huge step in front and lower into a lunge. Make sure both knees form a 90-degree angle and that the back knee rests a few inches above the ground.
- Hold that position and press both dumbbells above your head.
- Slowly lower the weights back to your shoulders and then push through your feet back to the standing position.
- Alternate legs and repeat.
Side Leg Raises (x 20 on each side)
If performed correctly, these leg raises target your waistline, outer thigh, and butt (2). Here is the step-by-step guide to follow:
- Lie on your right side and stack your left leg on top of the right one. Make sure your body forms a straight line.
- Bend your right elbow and use the right hand to support your head. If not, you can keep your arm on the floor and rest your head on the arm. Your left arm should stay on the floor throughout the movement.
- Slowly lift your left leg towards the ceiling and as high as possible.
- Pause at the top of the movement before slowly returning it down. This time around, do not rest it on the right leg but instead rest a few inches above it.
- Repeat and complete the reps before switching sides.
Russian Twists (x 20 on each side)
These humbling twists target your obliques, hip flexors, rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, and abs (2). They are particularly effective in getting rid of love handles. Here is how you perform them:
- Start in a seated position on the floor and bend your knees.
- Slowly incline your torso at a 45-degree angle and lift your knees slightly above the floor.
- Extend your arms in front or hold dumbbells if you want added intensity.
- Start to rotate your body to the left without leaning back or forward.
- Alternate and rotate to the right and now pick up the pace.
Weighted Step Up (x 15 on each leg)
This easy exercise fires up your quads, glutes, and hamstrings (3). To perform it (3):
- Find an elevated surface like a bench or staircase and place your right leg. Your back must be straight, arms holding dumbbells, and your neck kept neutral.
- Press through the right leg to bring the left leg on the surface.
- Slowly return to the starting position and repeat.
Butterfly Bridges (x 30)
Besides working on your glutes, this powerful exercise also works on your hip flexors, upper thighs, and back. To perform the bridges:
- Lie on your back and place the soles of your feet into a butterfly position.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and slowly lift your hips off the floor. Your arms and upper body must remain fixed on the ground.
- Clench your glutes at the top of the movement before slowly dropping your hips a few inches above the ground.
Read More: Bosu Ball Exercises For Balance: 10 Workouts To Add To Your Routine
Donkey Kicks (x 15 on each side)
These exercises work your entire back, including your shoulders and hamstrings (3). However, it is mainly performed for its benefit in toning the bum. Here is how you do it:
- Get on your knees and hands and make sure your back is straight and shoulders align with your elbows and knees with your hips.
- Engage your core muscles and lift your right leg at a 90-degree angle behind you. That foot should be facing the ceiling. Start lifting it and dropping it until you complete the reps.
- Alternate legs.
Squat Jumps (x 20)
Although some people hate them, these jumps effectively tone your butt and lose fat around this region. Here is how you perform them:
- Stand upright with your feet at hip-width distance.
- Bend your knees into a squat, push your butt backward, arms by your side, and jump up using power from the extension of your hips, knees, and ankles. As you jump, try to find a good position for your arms for balance purposes. For example, you could clasp them close to your chest.
- Land softly on your feet and into a squatting position. Try not to arch your back or position your feet past hip-width distance.
- Remember to engage your core and breathe normally throughout the exercise.
- Repeat to complete the reps.
Curtsy Lunge (x 15 on each side)
Any fitness guru will tell you that lunges are a staple in any booty building plan. Instead of the basic lunge, we chose to go with the practical and rewarding variation, the curtsy lunge. It targets your glutes, quads, thighs, and hip abductors (3). Here is how you do it:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Place your body weight on your left foot and then lift your right foot and cross it behind the left one.
- Place your arms above your hips and slowly lower into a lunge by bending your knees to a 90-degree angle. You can hold dumbbells if your trainer gives you the green light to increase the exercise’s intensity further.
- Pause at the bottom of the movement before pushing through the left heel and standing.
- Repeat on the other side.
Note that some people take longer to see results than others because of factors like genetics and age. That said, it may take you a few weeks or months before you transform your physique as desired. So, be patient with your body.
Again, it is worth noting that although this challenge is a good workout plan to perform for the long haul, it may not be as effective down the road. This is because there are chances of hitting a plateau. So, we suggest you talk to your trainer.
Intense sweat sessions, working weight loss tips, lip-smacking recipes come in one package with the BetterMe app. And all of it is at your fingertips, start transforming your life now!
The Bottom Line
You do not have to struggle with unwanted quarantine weight this year. We have developed a unique quarantine workout challenge for you to try. You only perform it five days of the week while practicing good nutrition, hydrating, and getting enough sleep.
All these are techniques that fitness experts suggest you try if you want to shed quarantine fat and transform your physique. Let us know your results when you try our challenge. Otherwise, we wish you the best of luck.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 7 Most Effective Exercises (2009, webmd.com)
- Basic Body-Weight Exercises You Can Do Right Now (2021, webmd.com)
- Best Exercises for Butt (2020, webmd.com)