How To Get Thicker Thighs
There always come a time when you compare your skinny thighs to those of your muscular friends and then suddenly a wave of insecurities washes over you right before you start drowning in self-sabotaging thoughts. Hits close to home, doesn’t it? Don’t fret, blowing up your thigh muscles is no rocket science. This goal is well within your reach. To achieve a muscular lower body, you must understand that thicker thighs workout to build the upper leg muscles alongside other muscles of the lower body is essential (8). So, if you want to know how to get thicker thighs, this article is just what you need.
The lower part of the human body has different muscles, including the quadrupeds of the thigh, the hip extensor muscles, the gluteus maximus of the butt as well as those in the calf and shin knees (2). Anyone who wants to know how to get thicker thighs and butt will need to commit to specific workouts and habits. Of course, you will not see the result overnight, but with unwavering determination and grit, you will soon be appreciating your brand new body and basking in compliments.
Nowadays, it is common to see ladies feel uncomfortable with small booties, and this feeling has been attributed to specific claims and research, which suggest that men find women with bigger booties more attractive. Social media also proves this point, since, most of the time, the pictures of ladies flaunting their perky butts generate more likes by their male followers. However, there are some grave downsides to the idea of a “perfect body” that social media forces down our throats as it affects the body image and self-esteem of the vast majority of female population.
How To Get Thicker Thighs And Hips Fast
Although many people who want to see their body change with lightning speed look for workable tips on how to get thicker thighs in a week, achieving this depends on several factors. The first is body type (4). There are three of them, namely, the endomorphs, the mesomorphs, and the ectomorphs. The rate at which your muscles react to whatever training you undertake towards achieving the desired goals will depend on your body type.
Furthermore, in developing thicker thighs faster, you must understand that the muscle will respond faster if you have been training before. However, consistency, determination, and commitment are very important to achieve your body goals.
Once you have started training frequently, you should also increase the challenges once you start feeling that a particular routine is getting too easy for you. Practice moderation and try not to go beyond your muscular capacity.
Can Cardio Exercises Give You Bigger Thighs?
Cardio exercises can help tone your thighs but they will not actually make them grow in size. This is because cardio cannot induce muscle hypertrophy. Muscle hypertrophy is a process in which the muscle fibres are torn and then rebuilt, making the muscle larger.
While cardio can help shed fat and make your thighs more visible, you’ll need to focus on strength training exercises like squats and lunges if you’re looking to increase your muscle mass. These exercises target all muscle groups in your thighs, including the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes.
Doing isolated leg exercises with weights will help to add definition and shape to your thighs, giving you the appearance of bigger legs.
Does this mean there’s no place for cardio in a thigh-growing workout routine? Not at all. Cardio can help to increase blood flow to the muscles, which can aid in recovery and growth. In addition, cardio will help shed any excess fat on your thighs, making them look more defined.
Incorporating a mix of both cardio and strength training into your workout routine is the best way to achieve overall results.
Thicker Thighs Workout To Build Up Your Upper Leg Muscles
To develop great thighs and butts, it is vital to know the muscles involved. The butt is made up of one of the largest muscles found in the human body known as the gluteus maximus. The butt contains two smaller muscles known as the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus (2). To have a bigger butt, it is necessary to put these muscles through its paces during your routine workouts in order to spur growth. (5)
Some basic exercises to develop a strong lower body include:
This exercise is always the first in line to help you fast-track your lower body muscle growth. There are various types of lunges. Keep on reading to find out more about them(1):
a. Static Lunges
- Stand upright and step forward with your right or left foot.
- Go into a kneeling position but make sure the bent knee is behind the toes of the front leg.
- Make sure to keep your back straight and tighten your abs.
- Do not stiffen the knees at any point during the exercise.
- Repeat this up and down motion of the knee legs three times at interval.
b. Deadlift Lunges
- Take a wide step forward with one foot.
- Hold a suitable weight in both hands and lift to your chest.
- Go down on your knees and make sure your back is straight while getting down.
- Return slowly to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion about 8 to 10 times for each leg. Also, repeat the process 2-3 times at intervals.
Whether you’re a workout beast or just a beginner making your first foray into the world of fitness and dieting – BetterMe has a lot to offer to both newbies and experts! Install the app and experience the versatility first-hand!
2. The Squat
This is an essential exercise, especially for those who want to round out, tone up or lift up their derriere. There are limitless squat variations that quite frankly might confuse a person who’s just starting to delve into the world of fitness. That’s why we picked out the most tried-and-true squats out there so you could get down to working that booty right away:
a. Basic Squats
This type is for complete amateurs (8).
- Stand upright with your feet moderately apart.
- Tighten the abs as you bend down into a position like you want to sit in a chair.
- Ensure the back is straight, and the head is kept up. Stretch the arms forward for balance.
- Maintain this sit-like position for a few seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Do not stiffen the knees while standing.
- Repeat the motion for about 8-14 times.
b. Wall Sit
This type does not involve an up and down movement of the body like in regular squats. All you need is a wall, like the name implies (8).
- Look for a wall and stand upright with your back to it.
- Ensure you are standing at a distance that allows you to lean against the wall.
- In your leaning position, extend the legs so that it appears as though you are sitting in an invisible chair.
- You can increase the challenge by holding suitable weights in each hand.
3. Hip Extensions
The gluteus maximus and hamstring muscles are majorly targeted during this workout. Some essential hips extension exercises that you can engage in are:
a. Donkey Kicks
This exercise mostly builds up butt muscles and in addition spurs the growth of hamstring muscles (9).
- Start by kneeling, then stretch out the back horizontally by placing the hands on the floor.
- Ensure your arms are straight with both palms on the ground.
- Make sure the knees form a right angle between the thighs and the lower legs.
- Lift your left leg and ensure the knees retain the right angle.
- Do not raise the knee beyond your back.
- Once the thigh and the knees form a straight line with the back, maintain this position for some time before bringing the knee slowly to the floor.
- Repeat this process on the left leg for about 12 times before you switch to the right leg and repeat it.
b. Glute Bridge
This works on the butt but also helps to stretch and flex the hips stamina when you raise the butt from the floor. At the same time, it increases the flexibility of the hips extensors. So what is the step-by-step plan(3)?
- Lay flat on your back and bend the knees.
- Spread the feet slightly and bring them close to the butt.
- Lift your hips off the ground by sinking your heels into the ground and squeezing the butt.
- Maintain this position when the hip is at the highest from the ground.
- Return the hips slowly to the ground.
- Repeat this motion of the hip as many times as your body allows.
How To Get Thicker Thighs Without Exercise
Getting thicker thighs without exercising may be important to individuals who are way too swamped to squeeze in a workout into their jam-packed schedule or who don’t particularly care for sweating bullets, being out of breath, experiencing muscle cramps or to put it simply – exercising. Interestingly, the genes we inherit from our parents have a major impact on our body shape, among other things. That’s why for certain individuals, the ability to develop large thighs without putting in any effort is more of a curse than a blessing. The reason is that most of the people who so to say inherited large thighs, struggle with excess weight and terrible chub rub.
Some researches have gone into methods of growing thighs without exercise. There are some massage oils in stores, which have been said to improve the thighs’ muscles if used regularly. They are also acclaimed to be free of side effects and capable of creating new cells that store lipids very fast. But then, it is also worth noting that the validity of the claims have not been ascertained.
Moreover, another important point you need to focus on is consuming enough calories that will enhance muscle growth. That is not to overrule the fact that genetics influences our body shape. So, it is wise to be real on how well your body shape can change after considering this part, among other things (6). When you eat, give a minimum of three hours before consuming anything else so that you don’t end up stuffing your stomach, plumping out in the places you’d rather not or simply feeling bloated and nauseous.
Dropping pounds by the dozens without putting yourself through the wringer is everyone’s weight loss pipe dream. But what if we told you that the BetterMe app can make that happen? Keep yourself in prime shape with our fat-blasting workouts, delicious budget-sparing recipes, and body-transforming challenges with our app!
How To Get Thicker Thighs While Exercising And Eating Healthy
You need to understand the correlation between exercising your body and eating healthily. This is because, as you exercise, more strength is required, which is why you must ensure that you are getting more energy than you are burning by consuming more food (6). A diet plan that supports increased activity and muscle growth should be a part of your focus.
But then, how many calories are needed? If you are riddled with this question, you need a nutritionist, doctor, or a trainer to help you map out every detail of your fitness journey so that you don’t end up torpedoing your health. A specialist will take into account your current weight, the level of activities you’re able to engage in, you nutritional needs and health state and only then determine the perfect approach for you.
So, if you are so concerned with how to get thicker thighs by eating, the simple trick is to increase your food intake. However, it is not just about eating what comes your way because junk food and other unhealthy meals will only make you put on pounds in the wrong places while also putting a dent in your health. Your focus should be on foods rich in protein like yogurt, soybeans, eggs, tuna, chicken, salmon and peanuts. These foods will develop your muscles (7).
How To Get Thicker Thighs And A Bigger Booty
Right off the bat, you need to understand that there’s no magic bullet that’ll make you build muscles without putting them through their paces first. Understanding the roles that these parts of the body play, finding out how to get thicker thighs and calves for increased performance in our daily activities will definitely help this whole process along. On that note, the following are some easy-to-execute exercises that will fast-track your thigh and booty gains (6):
Single-Leg Hip Thrusts
- Lay with your back on the floor while your left foot rests on the seat of a chair or on a weight bench.
- Stretch your right leg to face the ceiling.
- Raise your hips from the floor as far as you can go as you push through your left foot.
- Once up, take some rest and gradually bring your hips back to the floor.
- Repeat the process on each side for about 10 to 20 times.
This is a squat, which if done correctly, works on the muscles of the thighs, butts and hips.
- Stand upright with feet moderately apart forming a V shape.
- Ensure your back and shoulders are kept straight.
- Go towards the ground as low as possible in a sit-like position.
- At the lowest point, maintain this position for a few seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Repeat this up and down motion 10 to 20 times.
Note: To make it more challenging, you can hold a dumbbell in both hands.
Side Step-Ups With Sidekicks
This routine develops the muscles of the lower legs. To do this, follow these steps:
- Stand in front of an immovable chair or bench.
- Place your right foot on the elevated surface.
- Lift your left leg as high as possible towards or beyond the height of the right leg.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the motion on the other leg.
- Repeat this process for about 10 to 20 times on each leg.
- Kneel, then stretch your back horizontally by placing your palms on the floor.
- Lift your right knee from the ground and stretch the thigh out by opening the hips to the side.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat this motion on the right leg for about 10 to 20 times.
- Switch to the left leg and repeat the process.
Note: You can place a suitable weight at the back of your knee while lifting the legs to up the resistance.
Considering the steps discussed on how to get thicker thighs above, it is imperative to note that your determination and commitment are essential factors in achieving the desired result. The process is gradual, but as long as you are committed to it, you are bound to observe some positive results.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 12 great lunges for the hips, glutes and thighs (2020, verywellfit.com)
- Get Your Best Butt by Working Your Glutes, Hips, and Thighs (2020, verywellfit.com)
- How To Do A Glute Bridge To Seriously Sculpt Your Butt (2019, womenshealthmag.com)
- How to Get Big Thighs Fast (2020, livestrong.com)
- How to Get a Bigger Bum: 15 Bum Workouts + 20 Essential Butt Exercises (2020, womenshealthmag.com)
- How to Get Bigger Hips & Thighs Naturally (2017, livestrong.com)
- How to Make Your Body Curvier & Thicker (2018, livehealthy.chron.com)
- Squat Variations for the Buns, Hips, and Thighs (2020, verywellfit.com)
- Why the Donkey Kick Move Kicks Butt (Literally) (2019, livestrong.com)