Many people want to go from flab to fab. But unfortunately, belly fat seems to be standing in the way of this transition. We understand that people struggle to lose belly fat, especially when they lack a working plan. With that in mind, we have compiled an effective flat stomach 30 day ab challenge to help reduce fat around your tummy area. In addition, we have recommended complementary lifestyle changes which could make your dream of flaunting a flat stomach a reality.
Can You Tighten Your Stomach In 30 Days?
Indeed, you can do this if you make several changes to your entire lifestyle. Some people assume they will get a flat tummy after religiously performing a flat stomach 30 day ab and squat challenge.
Unfortunately, they find that little has changed when comparing the pictures taken before the flat stomach 30 day ab challenge and after. So what could be wrong? This could include diet, stress management, sleep patterns, and water drinking habits.
You will not see the expected results if you do not make changes to your entire lifestyle. In this month ab challenge, we are also recommending the following:
Drinking Enough Water
We have not set any water limit for you but instead, urge you to drink as much water as possible throughout the day. In addition, you can try enhancing the flavor by adding lemons, strawberries, or mint leaves, especially if you struggle with drinking enough water.
Although stress is inevitable, you can try to minimize the stress levels as it impacts fat storage throughout your body. WebMD recommends managing stress by doing yoga, meditating, trying breathing techniques, and talk or laugh therapy (7).
Following A Healthy Diet
There is no magic diet for a flat stomach. Instead, all you need to do is to adopt clean and healthy eating habits. Ditch junk and processed foods, eat more fiber, use healthy cooking methods like baking, simmering, roasting, or boiling, and eat more fruits and veggies (6).
The best way to stick to such eating practices is by following a diet plan. Feel free to ask your dietitian to help craft a flat stomach 30 day challenge diet that aligns with this workout plan. Additionally, make sure the diet plan meets all your dietary needs.
Get Enough Sleep
According to WebMD, a study discovered that people who got six to seven hours of sleep had less visceral (belly) fat (6). That may not be the only contributor, but the evidence does show it is linked to belly fat. That said, adjust your schedule and be sure to get enough rest.
Overview Of The Flat Stomach 30-Day Ab Challenge
Now to the ab challenge workout. It is the most straightforward and the most effective you will come across yet. Before we look into it, let us quickly pinpoint a few things you should know about working out with this plan.
Unfortunately, evidence shows you cannot spot reduce fat, meaning you will not burn fat only in your tummy area (6). Instead, exercising with this routine will see you shed fat evenly throughout your body.
You need to be mentally ready and address stressors or obstacles that may hinder your determination to follow or stick through this challenge. They may include the time to make these changes, any needed support, or willingness to exercise or eat clean (8).
It would help if you changed your perspective on exercise and diet. Eating healthy or dieting is not meant to be a punishment. If you view it this way, it will be challenging to stick through this plan because of a lack of inner motivation (8).
With that said, let us get straight into the flat stomach 30 day ab challenge. It is as follows:
Targeted Muscles: All upper and lower body muscles
Equipment: None needed. However, for the advanced and intermediate exercisers, you can consider incorporating weights or resistance bands if your trainer gives you the green light.
- Bicycle Crunches: 12 reps
- Flutter Kicks: 20 reps on each side
- Reverse Crunch: 15 reps
- Mountain Climbers: 15 reps on each leg
- Supine Dead Bug: 10 reps
- Plank with Knee Taps: 30-45 seconds
- Leg Lifts: 12 reps
- Beginners: 2
- Intermediate-Advanced Level Exercisers: 3-5
A Guide On How To Perform The Indicated Exercises
The secret to gaining the most from this ab challenge is maintaining the correct form of every exercise. So, take your time and learn how to perform each exercise correctly. Here are the steps to take to nail each exercise:
As the name implies, these crunches mimic the activity of pedaling a bicycle, but in mid-air. Medical News Today reveals these crunches are among the most effective intermediate exercises for strengthening the rectus abdominis, better known as the six-pack (5). To do these crunches (5):
- Lie on a mat facing the ceiling and bend your knees at 90 degrees. Place your hands behind the head and maintain a straight back and neutral spine.
- Slowly lift both feet, then bring the right knee towards the chest while straightening the left leg.
- At the same time, lift your upper back and shoulders to help bring the left elbow towards the right knee.
- Try to touch the knee using the elbow and hold the position for a few seconds before returning to the starting position (both feet mid-air).
- Repeat, but this time bring the right elbow toward the left knee.
- Try to increase the pace over time, but be cautious to avoid disrupting the correct form.
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
Flutter kicks are among the best ab exercises beginners can perform to help build their abs. Some people may refer to them as scissor kicks. It is an easy move to learn to work and strengthen your abdominal muscles primarily. However, this powerful exercise can also strengthen your hip and lower back muscles (3). These kicks (3):
- Lie on a mat on your back, and then tuck your hands by the side of your body. Remember to keep the palms facing down throughout the movement.
- Slowly lift your legs from the ground and kick the right leg over the left as if swimming.
- Continue kicking while alternating your legs until you achieve the desired reps.
This exercise is perfect even for beginners because it is straightforward, and you can pick it up in minutes. But do not be fooled by its simplicity because it actively engages your abdominal muscles. However, you should not experience any sharp pain. To do them:
- Lie on a mat facing the ceiling, and bend your knees at 90 degrees. Keep your feet flat on the floor, arms by your sides, and palms facing down.
- Engage your core, exhale, and then slowly lift your feet from the ground to list your thighs until they are in a vertical stance. Keep your knees bent at 90 degrees and palms pressed on the floor throughout the movement.
- Try to tuck your knees towards your face or to the point you can comfortably lift your mid-back from the ground. But remember not to lift your hips or lower back from the ground.
- Hold at this stance for some seconds, then slowly lower your feet to the ground.
- Repeat to complete at least 10-12 repetitions.
Most people have a love-hate relationship with mountain climbers because they are effective but will leave you sweating profusely. They target your abs and help promote fat loss that will eventually help you unveil and flaunt your chiseled abs (5).
- Start in a high plank position.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles, and bring the right knee toward the chest.
- Return it to the starting position and bring the left knee toward the chest.
- Start slowly, then develop a faster rhythm once you get the flow.
Supine Dead Bug
This intense muscle isolation exercise is a popular exercise for people trying to get six-pack abs. It is ideal for strengthening your core, which includes your lower back muscles and obliques because it mainly targets your abdominal muscles (4). Doing so can improve your balance and posture. Here is the guide to help you nail this exercise (4):
- Lie on your back, then bend your knees. Be sure to position your feet firmly on the floor and 12 to 18 inches away from your bum.
- Contract your abdominal muscles, core, and Kegels.
- Slowly lift both arms and legs off the floor until your elbows align with the shoulders. Keep your knees bent at a 90-degree angle and hips aligned with the knees.
- While maintaining an activation in your core muscles, slowly lower your right leg and the left arm to the floor. Let them touch the floor but not rest on it.
- Slowly lift them to the starting position in a slow and controlled movement.
- Repeat the process with your left leg and right arm to complete a rep.
- Continue alternating sides until you are done with your reps.
Plank With Knee Taps
Training your abs with this move will give you a six-pack and increase your core strength. Core strength is important as it helps with balance and enhances flexibility. This exercise:
- Start on your fours with your hands directly underneath your shoulders.
- Position your palms flat on the ground and then raise off your knees onto your toes.
- Remember to keep your navel pulled in as you do this. Similarly, remember to contract your abdominal muscles to help keep you up and prevent your bottom from sticking up. Keep your body straight from head to toe, with your head and spine in line.
- Slowly tap your left knee to the ground with control and without moving your hips. Lift the left knee back up, then slowly return it to the initial stance. Repeat the same process with the right leg to complete one rep.
Leg lifts, also known as leg raises, are simple and effective moves to target your abdominal muscles. They also help build core strength for better balance and stabilization, enhancing overall control of your body (4). These lifts (4):
- Lie on your back facing the ceiling, your arms by your sides, and your legs stretched out.
- Slowly lift your legs towards the ceiling and then to your face while hinging at the hips. Remember to also keep them together throughout the movement.
- Pause at the top of the movement when the legs form a 90-degree angle.
- Slowly lower them to the floor and repeat.
Our focus is to help you get abs safely without experiencing any pain or injuries. It is quite possible to get hurt when partaking in this flat stomach 30 day ab challenge, which is why we recommend the following (3), (4):
Please talk to your doctor before you try this ab workout routine for the next 30 days. Consultation is paramount, especially if you have not been active for a while or have knee and joint pain conditions. Your doctor will give you the green light or not, based on the intensity of the workouts and your prognosis.
Although we have not provided a warm-up routine, you must perform one before diving into this ab challenge. Warming up helps your joints loosen up, muscles contract, the brain engages with the body, and blood releases more oxygen, which you need during the workout (2). The warm-up exercises do not have to be something complex like burpees. Instead, they can be simple exercises such as marching in place while swinging your arms to activate the core.
Learn The Proper Form
It is natural to want to start the challenge immediately to quicken the timeline in which you see the results. But being hasty and dismissing the correct exercise form will cost you in the long run.
The right and recommended approach is first to take time to understand the proper form for all the exercises you will do (8). Then, look at the steps correctly, watch videos online, and enroll the help of a trainer, if need be.
Listen To Your Body
You must be attentive to recognize and act upon the signals from your body. You will experience soreness, especially if it is your first time performing an abdominal program. It is natural and expected.
You can massage the affected area with an ice pack to help reduce the soreness. Similarly, try to take a rest day or two instead of exercising multiple days in a row if the soreness becomes too much to bear.
But if you experience sharp pains when performing these exercises, stop immediately. Also, talk to your doctor immediately if the pain persists even after you stop performing the ab challenge workout.
BetterMe app will provide you with a host of fat-frying fitness routines that’ll scare the extra pounds away and turn your body into a masterpiece! Get your life moving in the right direction with BetterMe!
How To Maximize Results From This Flat Stomach 30-Day Ab Challenge
We know you want your belly fat to reduce by the time you are done with this challenge. But again, you must remember that it comes down to several factors, including your diet, sleep, and water drinking habits. To help you get the most from this challenge, we also recommend you:
- Snack Wisely. Choose fat-loss-friendly snacks such as hummus and veggies, celery sticks and nut butter, or fruit and nut butter (1).
- Move More. Do not rely on the routine as the only means of burning calories. Instead, try incorporating other fat-burning activities such as yard work or brisk walking.
- Mindful Eating. Besides eating clean, low-calorie, and healthy foods, you must also be mindful of what you eat. Mindful eating entails portion control, chewing slowly and thoroughly, and savoring the food.
The Bottom Line
Many want to flaunt a flat stomach. But this is challenging, especially if you are in the dark about what to do. Forget the so-called magical tummy trimming pills and try this flat stomach 30 day ab challenge. This helps you make all-rounded lifestyle changes that bring you one step closer to a flat stomach. Good luck as you take on the challenge!
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 9 healthful snacks to eat for weight loss (2019, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Benefits of Warm-Up Exercises (2021, webmd.com)
- Best Ab Exercises for Beginners (2020, webmd.com)
- Best Exercises for Abs (General) (2020, webmd.com)
- The 8 best core exercises for gym and home training, from beginner to advanced (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- The Truth About Belly Fat (2022, webmd.com)
- Ways to Manage Stress (2021, webmd.com)
- Weight loss: 6 strategies for success (2021, mayoclinic.org)