A full-body detox is a process considered for toxin elimination from the body. It involves following a particular diet, fasting, or taking supplements. Body detoxification, though, is a natural process including multiple organs, like the liver, kidneys, and skin.
Eating a healthy balanced diet, getting enough exercise, and staying hydrated can encourage this process without the need for any special diet or supplements. Fasting is sometimes said to be an additional way to speed up detoxification. It’s been suggested to have health benefits, like reduced blood sugar, insulin, cholesterol, inflammation, and promoted weight loss. But is a fasting detox really effective? Check out the article to disclose the secrets of a fasting detox: foods and drinks to detoxify your body safely.
What Does A Body Detox Do?
We get in touch with toxins daily without even knowing it. A full body cleanse is a plan that people follow to remove toxins from the body. Toxins are substances created by plants, animals and humans that negatively impact a person’s health.
Calorie restriction through intermittent fasting detox is thought to be a possible way to help these systems eliminate toxins by enhancing the activity of certain enzymes involved in detoxification. Besides this, fasting may promote the health of your liver, one of the important organs responsible for detoxification.
However, there is no evidence that fasting, restrictive dieting, or other detox practices are necessary or effective.
How To Detox Fasting?
Fasting detox is different for every individual. Most people choose intermittent fasting to attempt to get rid of body toxins. Intermittent fasting is an eating plan which involves eating at a specific time during the day.
Due to its possible health benefits, people use fasting not only for a body detox but also weight loss. Depending on the type of fasting, an individual should reduce calorie intake and stay hydrated during their fasting window.
Some people choose to detox themselves also via juice fasting when they consume only raw juice from fruits and vegetables. Juice fasting detox typically lasts 1-10 days. Juice fasts can vary from person to person. Some people drink only fresh juice while others eat additional food during the fast (5).
Water fasting is another but more challenging way to detoxify the body. However, unlike juice fasting, it should not last several days, especially for beginners.
But how might fasting eliminate toxins from the body? When you don’t eat for more than a day or two, the body enters into ketosis. Ketosis occurs when the body doesn’t have enough carbohydrates to burn for energy, so it burns fat and makes ketones which it can use for fuel.
Fat is where many toxins in the body are stored. Therefore, ketosis burns fat which theoretically might release those toxins so they can be eliminated by the body’s natural detoxification systems (2).
How Long Does It Take To Detox The Body With Fasting?
It depends on the type of fasting a person chooses for detox. On average, juice fasting can last from 1 to 10 days. Water fasting usually lasts for 24 to 72 hours. You shouldn’t follow this type of fast longer without medical supervision.
For some people, fasting to detox their bodies also involves drinking lemon detox cleanse. It consists of a mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup, water, and cayenne pepper. Lemon detox can last for up to 7 days (3).
Intermittent fasting, on the contrary, lasts a varied time period depending on your health condition and eating regime. A fast usually lasts from 12 to 24 hours. During this time, a person can consume tea, coffee, water, and other low-calorie or non-caloric beverages.
Does Your Body Detox When Fasting?
There are debates concerning the connection of fasting to body detox.
There is no scientific evidence that fasting or other detox methods are either necessary or effective. Your body already has essential organs for detoxification. Those organs are the liver which is the natural detox center; the lungs; the kidneys, the colon, and the skin.
A healthy person who follows a healthy diet and engages in sports activities should not necessarily fast for the body to detox. The essential organs already do this job.
Please note that some people should avoid fasting because it may even worsen their health condition. Before fasting, it’s better to contact a healthcare professional for recommendations.
If you struggle to even flirt with the idea of giving up your favorite foods or working out till your legs give way – BetterMe app is here to breathe a fresh perspective into the way you view the weight loss process! Check out the app and experience the fun side of fitness and dieting with BetterMe!
What To Eat On A Detox Fasting Diet?
There is no magic food that can detox your body. Instead, you can consume a healthy balanced diet made up of different kinds of food that contribute to overall health. You need to focus on food:
- With antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that play a vital role in protecting cells in your body from free radical damage. Free radicals appear from exposure to certain chemicals, pollution, smoking, radiation, pollution, and as a byproduct of normal metabolism.
- With Prebiotics. Prebiotics may improve nutrient absorption, decrease allergy risk, enhance immune system defense, and have other positive effects on metabolism.
- With Fiber. Fiber promotes digestion but it’s not the only reason why you should include it in your fasting. Dietary fiber may regulate cholesterol and blood sugar, and lower the risk of diabetes or heart disease. Fiber also aids in weight loss, preventing obesity, and by this reducing the risk of some types of cancer.
- That leaves you hydrated. Hydration is one of the most important parts of detoxification. This helps your kidneys eliminate toxins and other waste products.
- That is heart-friendly. Foods that positively impact your heart work can help your body detox by lowering your levels of “bad” cholesterol.
Therefore, the process of detox will include these kinds of food:
- Berries and nuts (high in antioxidants)
- Dark leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, and chard
- Fresh herbs and spices, such as turmeric, ginger, or cilantro (4).
- Vegetables: Especially good for liver detox are garlic, onion, beets, artichokes, etc.
- Fruits: apples, apricots, oranges, papaya, pears, plums, pineapples, etc.
- Whole grains and complex carbs, such as wild rice, millet, teff, rice, quinoa, oats, arrowroot, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, and winter squash.
- Beans and legumes: yellow and green peas, lentils, chickpeas.
- Fats: different kinds of nuts and oils (almond, avocado, coconut, flax, hazelnut, olive, hemp, pumpkin, safflower, and walnut).
- Animal protein: Organic turkey and chicken; wild game, anchovies, and sardines, wild cold water fish, and eggs.
Detox drinks while fasting:
- Coconut water
- Drinks or smoothies with healthy ingredients
- Lemon water
- Herbal teas, such as cinnamon tea and ginger tea
- Infused water
- Mineral or seltzer water
- Plant-based “milk” such as rice milk, almond milk, hemp milk
- Green tea and white tea
- Unsweetened juice made from hearty fruits and vegetables
How Long Does It Take To Detox Sugar When Fasting?
A sugar detox is when you abstain from consuming sugar, specifically added sugar, for at least a week and up to a month. Sugar detox is said to help your body rejuvenate, aid in weight loss, and promotes overall health.
Slashing sugar from your diet is not easy and it takes time. It also depends on individual factors and what specific results you are looking for.
Before starting any fasting routine or making any major changes to their diet, an individual needs to consult a doctor for additional guidelines.
How To Detox For 3 Days?
A 3-day cleansing diet is a short diet plan that involves the consumption of natural healthy foods. It usually includes fruits, veggies, nuts, and whole grains. Drinking plenty of water, and other non-caloric beverages is necessary.
There are plenty of fasting detox recipes you can find on the internet. Some of them include solid food while others are focused only on beverages.
For your attention, we’re providing you with a 3-day juice cleanse that some people use as a short-term diet. This juice fasting will not fulfill your nutritional needs and may lead to digestive issues. Thus, you need to consult your healthcare provider before starting this diet.
How To Prepare A 3-Day Juice-Cleanse
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ¼ cup spinach
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ lime
- 4 celery stalks
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ green apple
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup kale leaves
- 1 cup pineapple
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup mango
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1.5 cups coconut water
Instructions: Mix all the ingredients in the blender and serve fresh.
Whether you’re a workout beast or just a beginner making your first foray into the world of fitness and dieting – BetterMe has a lot to offer to both newbies and experts! Install the app and experience the versatility first-hand!
3-Day Juice Cleanse (Diet Plan)
Follow this 3-day routine in this specific order:
- MORNING DETOX TEA: Start your day by drinking a cup of green tea mixed with 1 teaspoon of Stevia and a slice of lemon.
- BREAKFAST DRINK: Enjoy your breakfast drink by blending the morning ingredients in the blender. Avoid straining. This will help you ingest all the fiber.
- SUPPLEMENTS: Take ½ multivitamins plus a probiotic supplement.
- LUNCH DRINK: Blend all the lunch ingredients in the blender. Do not strain the mixture for better ingestion.
- SUPPLEMENTS: Take ½ multivitamins plus an Omega 3 supplement.
- SNACK DRINK: Gobble down your favorite drink!
- DINNER DRINK: Blend the dinner ingredients in the blender and without straining enjoy the beverage.
Drink lots of water during these 3 days (at least 8 cups), get plenty of rest, and do gentle exercising, like yoga or stretching. Make sure you drink fresh beverages instead of keeping them stored in the fridge (1).
Nutrition per 3-day serving
Protein: 25g (1).
The Bottom Line
Body detox is the process of eliminating toxins from the body. The best way to detox healthily is to make nutritious food choices and lead an active lifestyle.
Fasting is said to be an additional way to detox the body, although there is no scientific evidence that it is necessary or effective.. Depriving yourself of food for more than a day or two can make your body burn fat, which stores many of the toxins absorbed from the environment.
In the article, you have learned the secrets of fasting detox: foods and drinks to detoxify your body safely.
The best food for detox fasting includes fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans, legumes, and low-calorie beverages.
It’s important to highlight that our body is capable of detoxifying itself with the help of the liver, skin, kidneys, colon, and lungs.
Make sure to contact your healthcare provider before starting any diet.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 3-DAY JUICE CLEANSE (2023, easyanddelish.com)
- Is Fasting Healthy? (2007, webmd.com)
- Lemon detox diet reduced body fat, insulin resistance, and serum hs-CRP level without hematological changes in overweight Korean women (2015, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- What is a full body detox, and do they work? (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- What to Know About Juice Fasting (2021, webmd.com)