When we stumble upon photos of either males or females with enticing biceps, there is a tendency to think that they probably spend every day at the gym. Strong biceps are essential in order to draw attention from the ladies and the gentlemen. In addition to that we are using our arms and hands whenever we lift or carry something. That is to say, healthily trained biceps make our day-to-day errands easier.
You want to achieve perfect arm gains but the idea of attending the gym or purchasing weights sounds too expensive.
The good news is that it is possible to grow bigger arms even without weights at home. Our body rarely cares where we work out nor whether we use any equipment. All it cares about is the intensity of the workouts.
Thanks to the internet and tips from online coaches you can build impressive biceps with your body weight or household stuff. Wondering how to do this? Try these effective and simple bicep workouts at home with no equipment and of course, indulge in the food that increases the chances to grow biceps.
How Can I Build My Biceps Without Weights?
People often ask this question when it goes to growing big muscles. Once again, if you desire to have well-shaped arms there is no need to trek to the gym, pay for personal training and lift excruciatingly big weights.
Back and bicep workouts at home with no equipment or weights help people train their upper bodies. You can create a program on your own or search for reliable sources on the Internet.
Even if you are using no weights, you should prepare yourself for the at home bicep workouts by following a couple of steps:
- Find a spacious and preferably light room.
- Put on comfy sports clothes and shoes.
- Place a mat on the ground to soften the pressure from some exercises.
- Prepare a towel, cans, bottles with water, and other alternatives to weights to create more tension in your biceps.
- Turn on your favorite music and enjoy the workout.
- Choose a maximum of 5-6 biceps exercises without dumbbells especially when you are a beginner. Repeat each exercise 10 times. Make sure you complete at least two sets of each.
Please note that the biceps, like other muscles, need some rest. Therefore, make a pause between each set for 30 to 40 seconds. In addition, you need to consider rest days since they let your body repair and help prevent injuries (3).
Doing a bicep workout without weights 3-4 days a week will positively affect your results. In case of any pain, stop the workout immediately and consult a specialist.
How Can I Train My Biceps Without Anything?
If you completed all the above steps and are ready for the workout, you can check out the top 4 bodyweight bicep exercises. Before we move to the workout itself, here is what you can use instead of typical dumbbells:
- Canned goods
- Plastic water bottles filled with water
- Heavy books
- Socks filled with gravel
- Bags of rice or other grains
You can be as creative as possible.
There are different types of weight:
- Too light – once you finish the set and feel like you could do more, then this weight is too light for you. Thus, you are less likely to grow big muscles.
- Too heavy – if after 5 repetitions you feel weakness and pain in your biceps then you should lower your weights.
- Perfect weights – the first couple of repetitions seem easy and then it becomes harder to lift weights. If that is your case then you chose the right load.
Remember to use the right weights because overuse and tear of the biceps can lead to biceps tendinitis. The main symptoms of tendinitis are inflammation of the biceps, weakness, and pain in the front of the shoulder (4).
The possible treatment could be rest, physical therapy, over-the-counter medication, and cubes of ice on the biceps (4).
Bicep Workouts At Home No Equipment
Australian Pull Up
This is a convenient bicep exercise that targets the lats, biceps, rear deltoids, and abdominals.
HOW TO DO:
- Place your body in between two sturdy chairs on each side of your torso so that the chairs are parallel to each other.
- Put your hands on the top of the chairs with your knees bent and push your hips up so that your body is also parallel to the ground and your arms are locked out.
- Exhale as you pull your shoulder blades together and pull your body up while keeping your core squeezed.
- Inhale as you extend your arms and return to the starting position.
- Repeat this for 10-12 reps.
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
This is a situation where you won’t be drying yourself off in the shower but rather building bigger biceps and training your back.
Towel rows are fantastic for building upper body strength, especially in your upper back, lats, rear deltoids, and biceps.
HOW TO DO:
- Lie on your stomach and extend your arms overhead with hands gripping a towel shoulder-width apart.
- Engage your core and keep your legs straight.
- Exhale as you pull your elbows back towards your feet until the towel touches your upper chest. Your neck should be in a neutral position.
- Hold this position for two-three seconds.
- Inhale to extend your arms and return to the starting position.
The reverse plank is a great back and bicep workout that trains the posterior muscles, like, the rear deltoids, upper back, and lower back. This kind of plank also engages the abdominals which can help you reap stronger core strength.
HOW TO DO:
- In a seated position, place your feet together and your legs extended in front of you.
- Keep your palms flat on the floor with your fingers spread out and pointing to the sides.
- Push your hips up towards the ceiling while keeping your arms straight. Create a straight line from head to feet, and squeeze your core.
- Hold this position for 45-60 seconds.
The breakdancer is an excellent exercise that focuses on your biceps and shreds your abs.
HOW TO DO:
- Get in a seated position with your legs out in front of you and your arms straight by your side. Place your palms on the ground.
- With your palms pressed down, lift your body off the floor as high as you can.
- Swing your legs around to one side and raise your palm on that side to let your legs pass.
- Change by swinging your legs around the other side and raising your palm on that side to let them pass. Your legs should be back in front of you.
- Repeat 3 to 5 times with each leg. Move with your legs in a circular motion while your arms hold your body up.
How Can I Build My Biceps At Home?
Growing bigger biceps at home is now not a surprise. A lot of people now are enjoying far-away-from-office jobs and spend most of their days at home. Therefore, if you made your home a working area, why not make some room for at home bicep workouts with no equipment?
Check out these good arm workouts without weights that you can easily do at home. They are perfect because they require no alternative or special equipment whatsoever. You will be using your body weight. Make sure you have enough space for movements and no distractions on your way.
Reverse Hand Push-ups
This body-weight bicep workout without equipment puts a strong emphasis on your biceps which are going to burn after the exercise.
HOW TO DO:
- Start with a standard push-up position.
- Slowly rotate your arms outward to make your fingers point toward your toes.
- Move your hands a few inches closer to your feet into a comfortable position and keep your arms straight.
- Engage your core muscles.
- Slowly lower yourself toward the ground. Your wrists and forearms might not be flexible enough if you are an amateur. So don’t force yourself to go lower than what feels comfortable.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and push yourself up.
- Repeat 4 to 7 repetitions. If it feels too difficult, then 1 or two times is enough. No worries, you will get stronger through practice.
Side planks feel easier but not less effective in building bigger biceps.
HOW TO DO:
- Start in a standard plank position.
- Turn your body to one side slowly, lifting one arm until it points straight upwards.
- Keep both arms straight, and a tad perpendicular to the ground.
- Hold in this position for 30-40 seconds.
- Lower yourself to the traditional plank position and then repeat the exercise on your other side.
Traditional push-ups target your triceps, abs, and chest but with little tweaks, you can focus more on your biceps. This kind of push-up is tougher than the traditional one but more concentrated on reaping bicep muscles.
HOW TO DO:
- Get in a standard push-up position. Keep your back flat and parallel to the floor.
- Put your hands together with your arms straight.
- Turn your hands inward about 45 degrees and extend your thumbs.
- Create an open space between your thumbs and pointer fingers that looks like a diamond.
- Keep your core engaged.
- Lower yourself slowly until your chest nearly touches the ground.
- Hold in this position for two seconds and push yourself back up.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 for each rep.
Can You Do Bicep Curls Without Weights?
Everything is possible if you seek alternatives. Dumbbells are not necessary for bicep curls without weights. You are welcome to use a gallon of water, bags with rice, or a small toolbox. You are open to many opportunities. Make sure those alternatives are heavy enough to challenge your biceps.
How To Do Bicep Curls?
- Stand up straight.
- Grab your improvised weighted objects in your hands.
- Keep your arms hanging straight down and palms facing forward.
- With your core engaged, curl your arms upward.
- Bring your left hand to your left shoulder and your right hand to your right shoulder.
- Keep your back straight and try not to move your hips.
- Extend your arms downward.
- Repeat 10 times on each arm.
Can Push-ups Build Biceps?
It seems like every workout now is impossible without a set of traditional push-ups. Since this exercise strengthens your upper body muscles, including triceps, shoulders, upper and middle back, it activates the biceps in a small way. That said, doing traditional push-ups will not leave you with perfect biceps size and strength.
However, changing a traditional push-up into a more challenging version can target the biceps specifically. That is why a diamond-shape or one-arm push-ups are a faster and a more efficient way to reap your biceps with no equipment.
Dropping pounds by the dozens without putting yourself through the wringer is everyone’s weight loss pipe dream. But what if we told you that the BetterMe app can make that happen? Keep yourself in prime shape with our fat-blasting workouts, delicious budget-sparing recipes, and body-transforming challenges with our app!
What Foods Grow Biceps?
An effective bicep workout without weights is only half of the way to growing good-looking biceps. You need to opt for a certain food that assists in building stronger arms. Choosing the right food can give you strength and with enough strength, you can lift heavier objects during workouts which eventually leads to bigger biceps. That sounds like a logical connection, right?
Jot down the following points and integrate them into your at home bicep workouts no equipment:
Eat More Protein Food.
Protein is essential for arms workouts because it promotes muscle growth and speeds up recovery between workouts. Among the most common high-protein foods are eggs, chicken breasts, salmon, tuna, lean beef, turkey breast, Greek yogurt, beans, and chickpeas. On average, people should take between 1.4 and 1.8 grams per pound of body weight. If you lack protein, it can lead to muscle loss (1).
Say No To Simple Carbohydrates.
Simple carbs are loaded with calories that offer no nutritional benefits. They’re also called “empty” carbs. Limit your intake of baked goods, sugary drinks, candies, cookies, and other sugary sweets.
Opt For Healthy Fats.
Without consuming enough fat, your body can start burning protein instead of fat for its energy needs. Fatty fish, chia seeds, dark chocolate, eggs, avocado, nuts, flaxseed, olive oil, olives, and yogurt are good sources of healthy fats (2).
Enjoy Complex Carbohydrates.
Complex carbs are as essential for building muscle as protein. These carbs make you energetic and sustainable during workouts. Consider adding whole-grain breads and pasta, quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice, corn, potatoes, and green peas into your diet.
Get Enough Calories.
Make sure your food brings you enough calories. With a low-calorie intake, you are less likely to see results with your bicep-building workouts. Get most of the calories from healthy sources of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, as well as from fresh veggies and fruits.
The Bottom Line
Growing big biceps is possible without weights and other professional equipment. Due to bicep workouts with no weights, you can reap strong biceps at home or in any other comfortable location. In this article, you have learned about effective and simple bicep workouts at home with no equipment. It is advisable to make pauses between sets and do at least 10 reps in each one.
Besides exercises, people are recommended to consume products loaded with protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats since they support muscle growth and speed recovery after the workout.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Benefits of Protein (2022, webmd.com)
- What are the healthiest high fat foods? (2023, medicalnewstoday.com)
- When and how to spend a rest day (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Why does my bicep hurt, and what can I do about it? (2021,medicalnewstoday.com)