Nothing’s worse than having one body part you dislike. Excess fat on your thighs can leave you feeling like a Mormon who must cover her legs. The best exercises to lose thigh fat will help you trim those thighs and remove those long cover ups. You deserve beautiful thighs, as well as other parts of your legs and buttocks. It’s challenging to target specific body parts. Sometimes, you can use workouts that target an area that includes that part. However, you could target the inner thighs, thought to be the Pandora’s box for women.
How To Lose The Thigh Fat In 2 Weeks With 20 Options
If you expect to see a change in two weeks, losing thigh fat without focusing beyond exercising is pointless. WebMD recommends changing your diet to support thigh exercises (13). The best natural thigh fat slicer is a combo of physical activity with the following diet changes:
- Eat more fat-free products, vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins,
- Exchange processed grains for whole grains,
- Reduce alcohol, salt, processed food, and refined sugar.
Medical News Today suggests adding high-fiber, low-carb foods and healthier oils (12). Combine workouts with a good diet, sleep hygiene, and enough water to burn that fat. The exercises you choose will depend on what you prefer.
Researchers at George Washington University found that resistance training with dietary changes burned fat and maintained lean body mass (18). At Duke University Medical Center, researchers compared aerobic exercises and resistance training (4).
Combining dietary changes with resistance training and cardio is the best way to burn fat. However, it really comes down to what you are after. Duke University’s researchers established that cardio or a combination of cardio and resistance training burned more fat than other routines (4).
What Are The Best Exercises To Lose Thigh Fat?
It’s not as simple as asking for the best exercises because they serve different purposes. Because of this, you’ll find exercises that target the thigh or the thighs with other body parts. It helps that you select which exercises will work better for you.
4 Best Thigh Exercises To Lose Fat
The thighs have a mean way of keeping fat deposits, making you feel conscious about wearing shorts. You should never stop wearing what you love in summer because of excess weight on the thighs. Instead, use some exercises to burn fat on your thighs.
WebMD praises squats for working the back and front thighs (7). It’s one of the best thigh workouts while your legs get some action. With that in mind, use a fun variation to burn fat in your thighs. Do 15-20 reps of the curtsy squat on each side to include a better glutes workout:
- Stand with your hands on your hips and feet shoulder-width apart,
- Step one leg back as you slowly squat down into a curtsy position,
- Stop lowering your body when your front thigh is parallel to the floor,
- Return to the starting position before changing legs.
WebMD strongly suggests squats target the back and front thigh muscles (7). Why not shake things up with a variation if you feel bored with standard squats? Instead, try doing 15-20 reps of the pistol squat for a simple balancing variation:
- Stand with your hands on your hips before extending them as you squat,
- Lift one leg and squat until the leg sits parallel to the floor,
- Repeat the reps on the first leg before switching to the other leg.
Want to build an attention-grabbing bubble butt, blast away fat that’s stored in all the wrong places, spring-clean your diet, turn back the clock on your skin, skyrocket your self-confidence and shatter your insecurities? Check out the BetterMe app and set this plan in motion!
WebMD explains how squats target your hamstrings, glutes, quads, and obliques (7). Squats work more than the thighs. Still, this brilliant movement targets the front and back of your thighs. Here’s how to do 15-20 reps properly:
- Stand with your legs apart, your back erect, and hands flat and parallel to the ground,
- Slowly bend your knees until your buttocks lay just higher than your knees,
- Maintain a straight spine as you hold your position for 10 seconds,
- Return slowly to the starting position, never bending your spine.
Toe touches stretch and work the back thigh muscles. It allows you to stretch your hamstrings. The Cleveland Clinic says the hamstrings are three muscles behind the thighs (6). Complete 15-20 reps of toe touches to burn fat in your back thighs.
- Stand straight with your hands by your sides and legs slightly apart,
- Raise your hands over your head to stretch your lower back muscles,
- Bring your hands down to your toes gently and smoothly to stretch the hamstrings,
- Stay in that position for 10 seconds before rising again.
4 Best Exercises To Lose Inner Thigh Fat
Inner thighs aren’t the easiest to target, and you’ll use workouts that target more muscles to burn fat. Sometimes, stretches can work to target the inner thighs better. Let’s see which exercises you can use to burn your inner thigh fat.
Bridge Prop Squeeze
Insider suggests adding a prop to a simple bridge pose to target your inner thighs and burn fat (1). Use an exercise ball to ensure that you can squeeze harder on those inner thighs. Here’s how you do 15 reps of glute bridge prop squeezes:
- Lay face up while bending those knees and grounding your feet,
- Put the ball between your thighs before raising your hips,
- Keep your back straight as you slowly raise your hips and engage your core,
- Stop when you make a bridge position and start squeezing on that ball,
- Keep pressing the ball for ten seconds before lowering your body.
The Arthritis Foundation recommends the butterfly stretch to target your inner thighs (14). The butterfly stretch also works the muscles around the hips, knees, and groin. That said, it would target the infamous upper part of your inner thighs. Here’s how to do it:
- Sit on a firm surface with your back straight,
- Join your soles as you fold your legs,
- Gently bring your soles closer to your groin without forcing them,
- Move your thighs and knees up and down like a butterfly’s wings,
- Never stretch beyond your capacity but repeat the exercise 30 times.
Insider recommends lateral lunges to target the adductor muscles inside your thighs (1). As you step sideways you can feel the lateral lunges pulling those muscles inside the thighs. Do 15-20 reps of lateral lunges to tone and burn fat inside the thighs:
- Put your feet together as you stand straight with an engaged core,
- Take a significant step to one side, bending into the side you step out,
- Rest your elbows on your extended leg while keeping the other straight,
- Stay in this position for 10 seconds before returning to change legs.
Sumo squats are an excellent alternative to target the inner thighs. Regular squats can’t target the inner thigh muscles (19). However, the sumo squat specifically targets the obliques inside your thighs. Here’s how to do 15-20 sumo squat reps:
- Stand with your feet slightly further than shoulder-width apart,
- Rest your hands behind your head while comfortably pointing your toes outward,
- Avoid forward curvature as you start squatting into a sitting position,
- Balance your weight on your heels as you keep your chin high,
- You should look like a sumo wrestler before rising back up.
4 Best Exercises To Lose Hip And Thigh Fat
Scientific American confirms how women have more fat deposits at their thighs and hips than other parts (24). It’s said that women have this excess fat because their bodies are ready to carry a child. That doesn’t make the fact more acceptable. Let’s see how you can trim the fat around those areas.
Ballet Or Dance
Exercise comes in various shapes and forms, including dance. The Alberta School of Ballet says ballet requires the strengthening of the muscles in your glutes, hips, hamstrings, and quads (22). Taking a ballet class will trim those legs and thighs while you gain an elegant hobby.
The deadlift isn’t thigh-focused but works the hips and some thigh muscles to burn fat. Medical News Today suggests using deadlifts to burn fat in the hamstrings, calves, glutes, and hips (23). Complete 15 deadlift reps to burn fat in the rear thighs and hips.
- Start with a barbell in front of you as you spread your feet hip-width apart,
- Keep your back straight and chin up as you raise the barbell,
- Your hips come forward as the barbell reaches your hip height,
- Engage those core muscles while holding the barbell for five seconds,
- Slowly reverse the movements without bending your back or dropping your chin.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center suggests using left lifts to work the hip flexors (11). Leg lifts stretch the hip flexors or muscles that control the upper part of your thighs. Meanwhile, you’ll also work the back of your thighs. Do the following for 15 reps:
- Lay flat with your hands palm-down on your sides,
- Lift both legs slowly until they form a 90° angle with the floor,
- Hold the position for 10 seconds before letting them down.
Leg Lift Corkscrews
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center also recommends adding corkscrew movements to work your hips and legs harder (11). You can raise your hips slightly for added difficulty. However, follow these steps to start with a leg lift corkscrew exercise:
- Lay flat with your hands under your buttocks,
- Lift both legs until you achieve a 90° angle with the floor,
- Move your legs in circular motions for 10 seconds before resting them back down,
- Repeat the exercise 12 to 15 times.
4 Leg Workouts To Lose Thigh Fat
Did you know losing weight in your legs and thighs has incredible benefits? A researcher at the Sansom Institute for Health Research found that losing fat on the thighs and legs reduces the risk of heart disease (17). Let’s see how you can possibly reduce your risk.
Lunges are some of the simplest exercises to target your legs and thighs. Traditional lunges work the calves, hamstrings, quads, and glutes for a nearly complete lower-body workout (15). Start your leg workouts with 15-20 lunges reps to trim the fat on your thighs and legs.
- Rest your hands on your hips with your feet hip-width apart,
- Strep forward with one leg, placing the weight on your heel first,
- Gently let your other knee drop to the floor,
- Your ground knee should align with your other ankle and not past your toes,
- Raise yourself slowly and smoothly with a straight back before repeating on the other side.
Plié Squat Walk
Let’s do a walking version to emphasize the legwork. WebMD recommends the Plié squat walk as a leg workout that burns fat in your inner thighs (10). Plié squats work the hamstrings, quads, and glutes while activating your adductors inside the thigh.
- Point your knees and toes outward while standing with your feet hip-width apart,
- Keep your chest out and spine straight as you lower yourself into a squat position,
- Start with one leg by taking two steps forward and backward,
- Remain in the squat position while stepping back and forth, which is challenging,
- Continue stepping forward and backward with one leg for 30 seconds before switching sides.
When it comes to weight loss, progress is made by inches, not miles, so it’s much harder to track and a lot easier to give up. BetterMe app is your personal trainer, nutritionist and support system all in one. Start using our app to stay on track and hold yourself accountable!
Washington State University has demonstrated how to do side shuffles to work leg muscles (5). Side or lateral shuffles work the obliques, quads, glutes, adductors, and hip flexors. This exercise is famous as a warm-up for others or a bodyweight workout at home. Here’s how to do it:
- Haunch into a low athletic stance, keeping your feet wider than your hips,
- Push the rear leg and pull with the leading leg simultaneously as you shuffle sideways,
- Keep your weight central between your feet as you shuffle five times each way,
- Avoid bouncing your hips while shuffling while doing 12 to 15 reps.
The Mayo Clinic recommends step-ups for a complete leg workout that targets the thighs (21). Step-ups burn fat in the hamstrings, glutes, and quads. The quads are your front thigh muscles, and the hamstrings are your thigh backs. Here’s how to do them:
- Place one foot flat on a step stool while bringing your left foot up,
- Return to the starting position in the same order you got onto the stool,
- Do 15 reps on each side, starting with different feet.
4 Whole-Body Exercises To Lose Thigh Fat
Sometimes, you need something more than targeted exercises. Duke University Medical Center found that aerobic and cardio-resistance exercises worked far better than resistance workouts alone.
Combining cardio workouts with muscle toners has the best results. Medical News Today explains how cardio exercises large muscle groups (3). You need 150 moderate hours or 75 high-intensity hours weekly. Use whole-body aerobic workouts to burn more thigh fat.
Cleveland Clinic has confirmed that burpees are a whole-body aerobic workout that exercises every muscle (9). You’ll get your heart pumping to keep your weight loss on track while tackling the legs and thighs. Here’s how to do burpees:
- Keep your hands on your sides as you stand straight,
- Move into a squat position while touching the ground with your hands,
- Extend your arms straight as you kick back into a plank position,
- Bring yourself back into the squat position slowly,
- Stand back up before completing another 15 reps.
Indoor or road cycling is a whole-body workout that burns thigh fat. Swedish researchers found that cycling targets the hamstrings, glutes, calves, and quads (16). Also Harvard has suggested that cycling is an excellent tool for core and abdominal muscle workouts (20).
Running places pressure on the legs, working your thighs beautifully. Don’t underestimate the benefits of running because it’s a cardio workout that targets large leg muscle groups. The CDC has shown how an hour of running burns 590 calories in someone who weighs 154 pounds (8).
Swim The Backstroke
Swimming is a wonderful whole-body workout. Swimmers subconsciously engage thigh muscles to move through the water. However, it is the backstroke that is the key to burning fat in your thighs. Swimming World Magazine explains how backstroke swimmers work the thighs (2).
How Do You Lose Thigh Fat Fast?
WebMD suggests the best and fastest way to lose thigh fat is with exercise and diet (13). Working out without changing your diet won’t help you lose thigh fat faster. Instead, use the natural approach to trim thighs by combining exercise with nutrition.
What Exercise Burns Leg Fat?
The Mayo Clinic recommends step-ups for a front and back leg workout (21). It works the thighs, glutes, and hamstrings in your legs and buttocks. Also, WebMD recommends squats to burn fat around the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and obliques (7).
What Exercise Burns The Most Thigh Fat?
Duke University Medical Center researchers have confirmed that aerobic or cardio-strength workouts burn more fat than standalone strength training (4). Burpees work all muscles and the thigh muscles to burn fat fast. Meanwhile you get a whole-body workout with Burpees (9).
The Bottom Line
Burning fat in and around your thighs is possible with careful exercises and dietary changes. However, your activity depends on how much you want to burn and where. With this in mind, choose the workouts that target the areas you wish to burn.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 5 At-Home Exercises for the Ultimate Inner Thigh Workout (2021, insider.com)
- A Look at Swimmer Muscles by Stroke (2023, swimmingworldmagazine.com)
- Cardio to Lose Weight: How Much and for How Long? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Effects of Aerobic and/or Resistance Training on Body Mass and Fat Mass in Overweight or Obese Adults (2012, nih.gov)
- Exercise: Lateral Shuffle (n.d., eruc.wsu.edu)
- Hamstring Muscles: Location, Anatomy, and Function (2021, clevelandclinic.org)
- Health Benefits of Squats (2021, webmd.com)
- Healthy Weight, Nutrition, and Physical Activity – CDC (2023, cdc.gov)
- How to Do a Burpee Properly (Step by Step) – Cleveland Clinic (2022, clevelandclinic.org)
- How to Do Exercises for the Inner Thigh (2022, webmd.com)
- How to Do Leg Lifts | UPMS Health Beat (2022, share.upmc.com)
- How to Lose Leg Fat: Exercises and Other Methods (2023, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How to Lose Thigh Fat (2023, webmd.com)
- Lower Body Stretches (n.d., arthritis.org)
- Lunges Muscles Worked, Variations, and Benefits (2022, betterme.world)
- Quadriceps and Hamstring Muscle Activity During Cycling as Measured With Intramuscular Electromyography (2016, nih.gov)
- Relationship Between Changes in Fat and Lean Depots Following Weight Loss and Changes in Cardiovascular Disease Risk Markers (2018, ahajournals.org)
- Resistance Training Combined With Diet Decreases Body Fat While Preserving Lean Mass Index Independent of Resting Metabolic Rate: A Randomized Trial (2018, nih.gov)
- Sumo Squat Muscles Worked: How to Get the Most From Your Workout (2023, betterme.world)
- The Top 5 Benefits of Cycling – Harvard Health (2016, health.harvard.edu)
- Video: Step-Up Exercise – Mayo Clinic (2023, mayoclinic.org)
- What Muscles Does Ballet Strengthen? (n.d., blog.albertaballetschool.com)
- What Muscles Does Deadlift Work? How to, Variations, and More (2022, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Why Does Fat Deposit on the Hips and Thighs of Women and Around the Stomachs of Men? (2006, scientificamerican.com)