Over time detox diet plans have become very popular in the fitness world. Their popularity stems from their ability to promote weight loss while flushing out toxins. As a result, many dieters lean towards these meal plans and look for outlined detox diet plans they can follow. We do have a filling 7-day detox diet plan you could follow and lose 10 to 17 pounds. You even get to eat real meals that are flavorful. Stick around to determine for yourself if this 7-day cleanse diet program is good for weight loss.
What Is Detox?
You probably have heard of detox diets, juices, or smoothies from the left, right, and center. The question is, have you ever stopped to ask what detoxing is? According to experts, detoxification refers to the act of flushing out toxins from your body (6).
The belief is that we can control this practice and eradicate these toxins whenever we feel like it. However, experts acknowledge that only the human body has the ability to “detoxify” itself. The organs responsible for flushing out toxins from your body include the liver, kidneys, skin, lungs, and gastrointestinal system (6).
How Effective Are The Detox Diets?
Detox diets are believed to promote quick weight loss by helping your body flush the toxic chemicals in your body.
Remember that an increased metabolism increases the number of calories you torch even while being at rest. However, Medicine Net acknowledges that there are different types of detox diets. Some will work, and others won’t work, all because of how they are crafted (6).
Some detox diets tend to follow a very low-calorie dietary pattern. Since you consume fewer calories than your body burns when following this eating plan, you get to shed pounds. However, you will regain all the weight once you are done following this program because such plans are ineffective for the long-term.
Similarly, other detox diets promise that you will lose perhaps 10 pounds in one or two weeks. However, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), such a weight loss goal is unhealthy as it states healthy weight loss ranges between one and two pounds weekly (4).
You may even report shedding 10 pounds in the given timeframe or something close to this. But, unfortunately, when you stop following this diet plan, you likely will realize that you regain weight so fast. This is the case because such a diet that results in rapid weight loss sheds water weight instead of fat.
Again, other detox diets may not work because they recommend the consumption of very restrictive diets. You find that some food groups are not allowed, which may make you overindulge in them once you stop following the diet. The other risk that comes with such a diet is the increased risk of malnutrition and other nutritional deficiencies.
On the flip side, there are detox diet plans that work depending on how they are crafted. Such meal plans do not overly restrict your calorie intake. Additionally, they do include various healthy foods, reducing the possibility of malnutrition or nutritional deficiencies.
The only way you will be able to determine what a sensible detox diet is, is by consulting both your healthcare provider and nutritionist. You must always consult before making any dietary changes to avoid putting your health at risk.
Will The 7-Day Detox Diet Plan Work?
As we have mentioned earlier, some detox diet plans bear fruits while others do not. As we mentioned, it all comes down to how it is crafted. As we all know, losing weight demands that you eat healthily and never skip meals.
Unfortunately, the detox diet plans that do not work may not consider either of the two aspects. However, in our case, this 7-day program is bound to work for the following reasons:
You Do Not Skip Meals
There is a belief that skipping breakfast will help trigger weight loss. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Skipping meals, whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner, only invites overeating. According to MedlinePlus, you must eat all your meals to avoid cases of overindulging and over-snacking (2).
You Eat Healthy Foods
The number one culprit for unwanted weight gain is junk and processed foods. With this in mind, we have not included them in this meal plan. Instead, we have focused on healthy food choices that will allow you to adopt healthy eating habits even after completing this 7-day detox diet program.
Emphasizes Fruits And Vegetables
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an eating plan that helps you lose weight or maintain ideal weight emphasizes fruits and vegetable consumption (1). These two are loaded with fiber that helps increase satiety, reducing your chances of overeating. Additionally, they are packed with essential minerals and vitamins.
Includes A Variety Of Healthy Foods
The following diet plan is also bound to work because it contains a variety of healthy foods. It has healthy carbohydrates, proteins, fruits, and vegetables. It also includes foods with low saturated fats, added sugars, cholesterol, salt, and trans fats.
It Helps You Create And Maintain A Healthy Calorie Deficit
The average woman needs to consume about2000 calories while a man should eat about 2500 (3). All our detox diet plans align with this concept, and they help you maintain this calorie deficit for weight loss. To maintain such a calorie deficit, you must consume fewer calories than your body is burning to help trigger weight loss.
Let us break down the rationale of how a calorie deficit works. According to Medical News Today, one pound of fat contains 3500 calories (3). Therefore, for you to lose one pound of fat in one week, you need to maintain a calorie deficit and consume preferably 500 calories less every day. It means that in less than three months, you will have lost 10 pounds and more if you consume 500 calories less daily (1 pound lost weekly x 12 weeks [3 months] = 12 pounds).
Advocates For Steady Weight Loss
Unlike other eating plans, this one does not guarantee that you will shed these 10 pounds overnight or in a week. Instead, it calls upon steady weight loss as per the CDC’s healthy weight-loss guidelines. It means shedding one to two pounds weekly by reducing your daily calorie intake by 500 calories (4).
BetterMe app will kick you out of the mental funk, shake off your extra weight, rid you off your energy-zapping habits, and help you sculpt the body of your dreams. Intrigued? Hurry up and change your life for the better!
7-Day Weight Loss Detox Diet Plan
The following 7-day diet plan is the best cleanse for weight loss. It considers all aspects of healthy eating that contribute to healthy weight loss. These include consuming healthy portions and food ratios, consuming all food groups, and consuming a balanced diet.
Eventually, these dietary practices could make you lose weight or maintain an ideal weight. Take a look at this 7-day detox diet program:
Day 1 (5)
- Breakfast: 1 serving Simple Vegetable Egg Bake (Calories- 462, Protein- 35 g, Fat- 31 g, and Carbohydrates- 10 g) and Brie cheese on bread (Calories- 204, Protein- 11 g, Fat- 10 g, and Carbohydrates- 18 g)
- Lunch: 2 servings of Fruit & Vegetable Plate with Almonds & Cheese (Calories- 541, Protein- 26 g, Fat- 28 g, and Carbohydrates- 53 g) and one cup of raw baby carrots (Calories- 86, Protein- 2 g, Fat- 0 g, and Carbohydrates- 20 g)
- Dinner: 2 serving of Stuffed Sweet Potato with Hummus (Calories- 727, Protein- 30 g, Fat- 12 g, and Carbohydrates- 129 g) and one cup of Roasted Green Beans (Calories- 122, Protein- 4 g, Fat- 7 g, and Carbohydrates- 14 g
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 2142, Protein- 107.6 g, Fat- 88.9 g, and Carbohydrates- 244 g
Day 2 (5)
- Breakfast: Two cups of Orange Mango Smoothie with Chia (Calories- 274, Protein- 5 g, Fat- 5 g, and Carbohydrates- 57 g) and two serving Stir-Fried Egg and Tomato (Calories- 387, Protein- 21 g, Fat- 29 g, and Carbohydrates- 12 g)
- Lunch: 1 bowl of Fruit Salad made with apples, walnuts, grapes, cottage cheese, and cinnamon (Calories- 695, Protein- 49 g, Fat- 26 g, and Carbohydrates- 77 g)
- Dinner: Two servings of Mexican Casserole (Calories- 807, Protein- 44 g, Fat- 42 g, and Carbohydrates- 67 g
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 2164, Protein- 119 g, Fat- 101.5 g, and Carbohydrates- 212.6 g
Day 3 (5)
- Breakfast: 2 bowls of Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal (Calories- 619, Protein- 22 g, Fat- 22 g, and Carbohydrates- 95 g
- Lunch: 2 serving strawberry protein smoothie (Calories- 769, Protein- 105 g, Fat- 23 g, and Carbohydrates- 40 g)
- Dinner: Broccoli Quiche (Calories- 771, Protein- 33 g, Fat- 63 g, and Carbohydrates- 25 g)
- Total Nutritional Content: (Calories- 2159, Protein- 159.7 g, Fat- 108.4 g, and Carbohydrates- 160.3 g)
Day 4 (5)
- Breakfast: 1 Oatmeal banana protein shake (Calories- 546, Protein- 54 g, Fat- 17 g, and Carbohydrates- 49 g)
- Lunch: 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich (Calories- 371, Protein- 12 g, Fat- 18 g, and Carbohydrates- 42 g)
- Dinner: 2 servings of Steamed Broccoli with Olive Oil and Parmesan (Calories- 378, Protein- 17 g, Fat- 27 g, and Carbohydrates- 23 g) and one serving of Pasta with Red Sauce and Mozzarella (Calories- 308.6, Protein- 16.1 g, Fat- 7.2 g, and Carbohydrates- 47.6 g)
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 1603, Protein- 99.4 g, Fat- 69.4 g, and Carbohydrates- 161.1 g)
Day 5 (5)
- Breakfast: 1 serving Southwestern Eggs (Calories- 256, Protein- 19 g, Fat- 18 g, and Carbohydrates- 3 g) and two apples (Calories- 189, Protein- 1 g, Fat- 1 g, and Carbohydrates- 50 g)
- Lunch: 1 Simple Caprese Sandwich (Calories- 353, Protein- 17 g, Fat- 9 g, and Carbohydrates- 52 g) and 1-ounce almonds (Calories- 164, Protein- 6 g, Fat- 14 g, and Carbohydrates- 6 g)
- Dinner: 2 serving Roasted Salmon (Calories- 485, Protein- 56 g, Fat- 27 g, and Carbohydrates- 0 g) and 2 serving Roasted Green Beans (Calories- 245, Protein- 7 g, Fat- 14 g, and Carbohydrates- 28 g)
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 1692, Protein- 106.6 g, Fat- 83.2 g, and Carbohydrates- 140.2 g
Day 6 (5)
- Breakfast: 1 pan Pesto Scrambled Eggs (Calories- 276, Protein- 14 g, Fat- 23 g, and Carbohydrates- 2 g) and four strips of bacon (Calories- 200, Protein- 6 g, Fat- 19 g, and Carbohydrates- 1 g)
- Lunch: 2 serving Cucumber Avocado Salad (Calories- 550, Protein- 10 g, Fat- 43 g, and Carbohydrates- 20 g)
- Dinner: 1 serving Cheesy Chicken with Spinach (Calories- 508, Protein- 62 g, Fat- 25 g, and Carbohydrates- 5 g) and 8 Easy Parmesan Crisps (Calories- 166, Protein- 15 g, Fat- 11 g, and Carbohydrates- 1 g)
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 1701, Protein- 107.3 g, Fat- 120.3 g, and Carbohydrates- 29.7 g
Day 7 (5)
- Breakfast: 2 serving Southwestern Eggs (Calories- 512, Protein- 38 g, Fat- 37 g, and Carbohydrates- 6 g) and two strips of bacon (Calories- 100, Protein- 3 g, Fat- 10 g, and Carbohydrates- 0 g)
- Lunch: 1 serving Turkey Lettuce Cheese Roll-ups (Calories- 258, Protein- 24 g, Fat- 16 g, and Carbohydrates- 3 g) and one avocado (Calories- 322, Protein- 4 g, Fat- 29 g, and Carbohydrates- 4 g)
- Dinner: 2 serving veggie & chicken salad (Calories- 589, Protein- 39 g, Fat- 31 g, and Carbohydrates- 26 g)
- Total Nutritional Content: Calories- 1780, Protein- 107.3 g, Fat- 123.3 g, and Carbohydrates- 38.5 g
The Bottom Line
The reality is that you cannot control the detoxification process because the human body has the sole control of its elimination systems. However, you can adopt a healthy diet plan that allows you to eat balanced meals and avoid adding extra unnecessary stress on the body. Try this 7-day detox diet plan and make strides to healthy and long-term weight loss.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on for decision-making. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight (2021, cdc.gov)
- Healthy habits for weight loss (2020, medlineplus.gov)
- How many calories should I eat a day? (2018, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Losing Weight (2020, cdc.gov)
- Put your diet on autopilot (n.d., eatthismuch.com)
- The Truth About Detox Diets (2012, medicinenet.com)