Resistance training, better known as strength training, is a crucial component for muscle development. Despite this knowledge, there are a selected few practical weight training workout plans to help this goal. So, we may understand your frustrations if you are looking for a full-body strength training program. But do not worry because we have compiled this effective 4-day full-body workout plan for you. Check it out!
Building Muscle With The 4-Day Workout Routine
Building muscle strength and mass using a 4-day full-body workout plan may not be as easy as people presume it is. There are days you will feel like giving up, and there are those days you will feel like taking the workout challenge head-on.
Despite this, anything is possible so long as you remain committed and disciplined. We already know that weight lifting exercises are more effective in building muscle mass and strength. So, this workout plan will comprise heavy compound exercises. Here are other crucial factors you need to know about this routine:
Equipment. Of course, in this plan you will need access to various types of equipment, depending on the suggested exercise. For this reason, you would be better suited to perform this workout routine if you had access to the gym.
Split. The workout routine has been split into four days, each targeting different muscle groups. The ultimate goal of this plan is to work out the full-body, but by targeting all upper and lower body muscle groups on different days.
Target Group. This workout plan is intended for individuals in the advanced fitness level who aim at increasing their muscle size and strength.
Gender. The workout routine is suitable for both men and women, so long as they are in the advanced fitness level.
Reps and Sets. You must perform ten to fifteen repetitions of all the exercises in this workout plan. Similarly, you may perform three to four sets. It would help if you started small and increased the plan’s intensity by adding the reps and sets later on as you progress. Remember to seek professional advice from your trainer if you want to perform more than the suggested reps and sets.
Duration. The timeline may last anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes. However, it may last longer for individuals who end up increasing their reps or sets.
Rest. Rest is mandatory in this workout plan because your muscles need time to recover. In addition, they will recover faster during rest days because they have more access to a healthy blood flow and are less tired (4).
Diet. Remember that the muscular physique you so desire is built in the kitchen and gym. This means that you will have to be cautious about what you eat. Typically, for such a fitness goal, experts recommend you follow a muscle-building meal plan.
According to Medical News Today, such a meal plan should focus on healthy foods containing all the required foods to develop muscle mass safely and quickly (3). There are several factors you must put in mind when choosing such a diet plan.
First and foremost, you need to remember that a bodybuilder should increase their calorie intake by 15% during the offseason and bulk-up periods (3). Secondly, you must remember that 15% to 30% of the calories must come from healthy fat.
Additionally, you must get 2.3 g to 3. 1 g per kg of lean body mass per day of protein and obtain the rest calories from carbs (3). It is not easy to implement all these principles in a muscle building diet plan, which is why you must seek the help of a licensed nutritionist.
4-Day A Week Full Body Workout Plan
The following 4 day full body workout plan has been designed for individuals in the advanced fitness level. It comprises very intense exercises that may not suit those in the beginner and intermediate fitness levels.
The 4-day split workout plan targets different muscle groups every day to help work out the entire body. Since the goal of this plan is increasing bulk among bodybuilders, you will have to do more than one rep and set. First, take a look at the plan:
- Monday: Day 1
- Tuesday: Day 2
- Wednesday: Rest
- Thursday: Day 3
- Friday: Day 4
- Saturday: Rest
- Sunday: Rest
This day has exercises designed to help build mass in your upper body, specifically your chest, shoulders, triceps, and biceps. Here is a list of the exercises you will be required to perform on this day:
- Lats pull-down
- Shoulder press
- Seated row
- Chest press
- Hammer curl
- Triceps kickbacks and overhead extensions
Our focus on the second day will be increasing mass in the lower body muscles, primarily the legs, hamstrings, and calves. The exercises to be performed on this day include:
- Romanian deadlift
- Seated calf raise
- Barbell glute bridge
- Barbell back squat
- Leg press
- Stiff leg deadlifts
- Machine hamstring curls
- Bulgarian split squats
The weight exercises you will be performing on this day target your upper body muscles, just like on day one. However, the activities are different. Take a look:
- Overhead press
- Incline bench press
- Bent over row
- Dumbbell curl
- Halo to shoulder press
- Assisted pull-ups and dips
- Deltoid raise
Want to build an attention-grabbing bubble butt, blast away fat that’s stored in all the wrong places, spring-clean your diet, turn back the clock on your skin, skyrocket your self-confidence and shatter your insecurities? Check out the BetterMe app and set this plan in motion!
We will be targeting the lower body muscle groups as we did on the second day. Here are some practical lower body exercises to help increase muscle mass and strength:
- Walking lunges with a barbell, kettlebells, sandbags, or dumbbells
- Barbell front squat
- Seated leg curl
- Standing calf raise
- Hip thruster
- Good morning exercise
- Weighted step-up
- Barbell jammer press
It would help if you took heed of the following to help reap maximum benefits from the following program:
- Warming Up. You should never start doing the stated exercises without performing warm-up exercises. They are significant as they help fight muscle stiffness and loosen up the joints (2). They also make the brain engage with the body, and the blood vessels increase blood supply to the muscles (2). Remember to also perform cool-down exercises after you complete the routine.
- Maintaining the Correct Exercise Form. You must perform each exercise in the correct technique. Otherwise, you will strain and injure yourself. Take time to master the correct form of any exercise you are familiar with by seeking help from a professional.
- Using Comfortable Weights. Being in the advanced fitness level does not give you a ticket to use heavier weights. It would help if you always worked with comfortable loads that are not strenuous to avoid injuring yourself.
- Stopping When You Feel Pain. You do not have to use heavy weights to feel pain. You may experience pain if you strain a muscle or when working with sore muscles. You must stop performing that exercise and attend to your pain. Assess the problem and if it can be treated at home, well and good. However, if the pain is unbearable, consider visiting your doctor for further assessment.
Benefits Of This 4-Day Weight Workout
Of course, the first and most significant benefit of performing this workout plan is increased muscle mass and size. However, in addition to this benefit, you will also reap other gains, including:
- Toning. Performing these heavy compound exercises will help torch calories and, as a result, tone your entire body.
- Weight Loss. The following workout routine can also promote weight loss as it triggers the fat-burning process. However, an individual has to consume fewer calories than they are burning for optimal weight loss results.
- Reduced Risk of Diseases. According to MedlinePlus, exercising with any program or activity helps reduce various disease risk factors. For example, exercising lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease (1).
- Improved Mental Health and Mood. Exercising using this routine is also important for your mental being as it helps you relax. The body releases various chemicals when you work out that make you relax, thereby improving your mood and mental health (1).
- Better Sleep. Exercising also helps improve the quality of your sleep. You tend to fall asleep faster and more soundly after you have exercised. However, it would help if you did not work out before bedtime, especially with such an intense routine.
The Bottom Line
The above 4-day full-body workout plan is convenient for men and women looking to improve muscle mass and strength. However, it is more suitable for individuals in the advanced fitness level due to its high intensity.
Besides building muscle mass and size, this routine can promote weight loss, reduce the risk of diseases, and improve sleep quality. However, all this is possible only if you stay safe, use comfortable weights, and maintain the correct form. We would love to hear what you think of this full-body workout plan. So, get in touch with us in the comment section down below.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on for decision-making. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!