Summer is fun in the sun when you don’t worry about the lines on your thighs and buttocks. However, it’s a bikini nightmare when you have cellulite. Wouldn’t you love to know how to get rid of cellulite on your thighs and bum before splashing in that beach vacation?
You deserve a cellulite-free bum and thighs. So, let’s discover how you can erase cellulite on your buttocks and thighs.
What Causes Cellulite on Thighs and Bum?
Cellulite seems like a monster among us, but did you know it’s ultra-common among women? Dr. Leroy Young and Barry DiBernardo reviewed cellulite severity scales to determine 85% to 90% of women have cellulite post-puberty (15).
Cellulite is a natural fat collection formation that pushes against the tissue under your skin. The Cleveland Clinic reports why fewer men have cellulite (12). Meanwhile, Scientific American explains less than 10% of men have cellulite (23).
One theory explaining cellulite is that women’s tissue that connects the skin to muscles runs parallel (12). Men’s tissue runs in crisscross patterns. This means it’s harder for men’s fat to push against the skin. The fat pressing against the skin creates dimples and puckered skin on the thighs, buttocks, and stomach.
The direct cause of cellulite isn’t well-known. Still, experts blame specific reasons for an increase in cellulite visibility. The Mayo Clinic also suggests genes and hormones influence cellulite’s visibility (10).
Genetics determine your skin structure and body type. Meanwhile, hormones like estrogen may affect cellulite. Hence, you see it after puberty in women. The Mayo Clinic connects visible cellulite to excess body weight, possibly lack of exercise, and poor diet (10).
Ways to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Bum
Fortunately, you can make cellulite less visible with various lotions, treatments, and dietary changes. So, discover ways to decrease its visibility. The Cleveland Clinic recommends combining treatments, diet, and exercise to reduce cellulite visibility (12).
Scientific American suggests using lotions with L-carnitine to attempt to make cellulite less visible (23). It is said that L-Carnitine transfers fat to mitochondria, which utilize it for energy instead. Aminophylline is another lotion ingredient that may potentially block fat cell alpha receptors from working.
Dr. Debra Jalliman suggests looking for top cellulite lotions that may reduce visibility with retinol (2). Cream with 0.3% retinol may help. No science or extensive studies confirm any lotion’s efficiency. However, doctors suggest lotions reduce cellulite visibility.
The Cleveland Clinic suggests improving blood circulation may reduce cellulite visibility (11). The Physiological Sciences Department in the Netherlands found Ginkgo Biloba increases blood flow to the skin (16). Grapeseed may also help increase blood flow to the skin (12).
- Eat more fiber, fruit, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Eat less empty-calorie foods, unhealthy fats, and refined carbohydrates.
If you wish to cinch your waist, tone up your bat wings, blast away the muffin top – our fitness app was created to cater to all your needs! BetterMe won’t give excess weight a chance!
5 Dermatology Cellulite Treatments
Cellulite has long been a pain in women’s sides. Consider cellulite treatments to help reduce the visibility on your legs, thighs, and buttocks. However, the American Academy of Dermatology doesn’t recommend the following cellulite treatments (11):
- Cryolipolysis – freezes fat pockets under your skin but doesn’t reduce visibility.
- Mesotherapy – various custom injections that may make treatment fail.
- Traditional Liposuction – targets fat directly but can make cellulite more visible.
Acoustic Wave Therapy
A Brazilian Center for Studies in Dermatology studied whether acoustic wave therapy worked to reduce cellulite visibility (3). Acoustic wave therapy reduces cellulite visibility and the fat that causes visible dimples.
Cellfina or Subcision Treatment
This uses a needle to target the tissue fibers that run parallel. It breaks up tough bands, resulting in cellulite pockets. Dr. Karen Grossman from Grossman Dermatology suggests that subcision reduces cellulite visibility quickly (31).
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests laser treatments as reasonably effective cellulite treatments (11). Laser treatments are a non-invasive method similar to subcision, breaking rugged bands of tissue to reduce cellulite visibility.
Aesthetic expert Dr. Preema Vig suggests BTL Unison, which uses two proven anti-cellulite treatments (7). BTL Unison targets all five areas that reduce cellulite visibility. It uses radiofrequency and cellutone technology.
Vacuum-Assisted Precise Tissue Release
A multicenter study with the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia studied a single-treatment method to reduce cellulite visibility (26). Vacuum Assisted Precise Tissue Release decreased cellulite visibility in one session.
How to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Bum Naturally
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests weight loss and exercise as natural cellulite treatments to reduce visibility (11). Less weight shows less cellulite, and muscles can help smoothen skin appearance.
Best Way to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Bum
The University of Guilan highlights an association between exercise and reduced cellulite visibility. While an absolute method has not been determined, some studies showed improvements with resistance and endurance exercises in cellulite treatment (27). Therefore, combining strength and endurance training could effectively reduce cellulite visibility on your thighs and bum.
Dr. Poonam Sachdev recommends adding aerobic exercises as part of endurance training to reduce cellulite visibility (9). Activity that increases muscle mass works because muscle is firmer than fat. Fat can’t protrude through your skin if you have more muscles.
However, you will need dedicated routines and persistence. The Cleveland Clinic says exercise takes two months to show visible improvements in cellulite (12). This means you must stick to it for long-lasting effects.
Strength Exercise to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Bum
First, start with a workout routine with strength and resistance training. It will help reduce cellulite’s visibility on your bum and thighs. Do the five exercises daily, spending 40 to 60 seconds each, repeating each thrice. They have tutorials to help you do them right.
WebMD explains the benefits of squats as regular strength training exercises to support the lower body muscles (32). Squats strengthen the hip muscles, glutes, calves, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Maintaining and building muscle in these regions can help reduce thigh cellulite.
Pistol squats will take your muscle mass to another level with an advanced variation to your strength training. Increase your rank with time by adding weights or dumbbells to the squats. The Australian Fitness Academy suggests using pistol squats for solid, functional legs (5).
All forms of lunges provide strength training to build muscle mass in your lower body. Dr. Pallavi Uttekar recommends regular lunges for your strength training (35). It provides an excellent workout for your glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps.
Clamshells tighten every muscle and build more muscle mass around your buttocks. It works the gluteus maximus, minimus, and medius muscles for a full buttock tightener. Hawkstone Physical Therapy suggests adding clamshells to your daily routine (13).
Single-Leg Hamstring Bridge
WebMD explains how beneficial a bridge yoga pose is for the glutes and hamstrings (20). The stretches in any bridge pose can strengthen the hamstrings and glutes to reduce cellulite visibility. However, you’ll change it by doing the single-leg hamstring bridge exercise instead.
BetterMe is your fast-track ticket to a long-lasting weight loss! Tailor your fitness journey and maximize your results with just a couple of swipes!
Endurance Workouts to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Bum
Next, work out with five endurance and strength exercises to reduce cellulite visibility. Watch the tutorials to do them safely. Do the daily routine, doing each exercise for 40 to 60 seconds and repeating them three times. This has a faster pace, but don’t push yourself into pain.
WebMD recommends squats for a lower body workout that strengthens muscles in the quadriceps and glutes (32). Increasing muscle mass in your lower body is the way to reduce cellulite visibility on your thighs and bum. Speed them up for endurance training.
Deadlifts are excellent lower body strength-building exercises (4). Deadlifts can improve muscle mass in the glutes, hamstrings, inner thighs, and quads. Adding deadlifts with weights to strengthening squats can help you reduce cellulite visibility.
The Mayo Clinic recommends step-up exercises for endurance and resistance training (33). Step-ups are an effective exercise that strengthens muscles in your glutes, quads, and hamstrings. It’s an ideal lower-body workout to add to your daily routine.
Weighted Jump Lunges
HIIT workouts provide strength and endurance to reduce cellulite. Dr. Pallavi Uttekar suggests strengthening lunges for the lower body, thigh, and buttocks muscles (35). Meanwhile, weighted jump lunges are a HIIT exercise, which improves endurance, too (19).
Dr. Adam Behm recommends glute kickbacks only if you do them correctly (18). Glute kickbacks work the gluteus maximus muscle hard. It’s the primary muscle from your hip down your thigh. However, incorrect practice could cause problems. So, follow the tutorial.
Quickest Way to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs and Legs
Better Me explains how the plié squat is an upper thigh exercise that reduces cellulite visibility in your upper thighs and legs (1). The muscles strengthen and build inside your upper thighs and legs when you stretch them apart. Follow the tutorial for safe exercising.
What Helps Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs?
The University of Guilan study used an exercise-based approach to treat cellulite successfully (27). Strength and endurance training was the top exercise-based treatment for cellulite. They don’t eliminate cellulite but reduce visibility with ongoing routines.
Can I Learn How to Get Rid of Cellulite on My Thighs and Buttocks Naturally?
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends exercise and weight loss as natural cellulite treatments (11). Dr. Debra Jalliman suggests dietary tweaks for cellulite (2). Eat more fiber, whole grains, and vegetables. Eat fewer unhealthy fats, empty calories, and highly refined carbs.
Can I Discover How to Get Rid of Cellulite on My Thighs and Bum Fast?
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests laser treatment, subcision, or radiofrequency as fast cellulite treatments (11). The treatments specifically target cellulite to break down tough tissue bands. Meanwhile, they can effectively work to reduce visibility.
The Bottom Line
Sadly, there’s no magic eraser for the nightmare that is cellulite. However, you can start reducing the visibility of your cellulite with some changes. Multiple treatments and dedicated exercises are the best, even if you begin with dietary tweaks, weight loss, and training.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 8 Upper Thigh Exercises That Will Reduce The Appearance Of Cellulite – BetterMe (2023, betterme.world)
- 14 Treatments and Remedies for Cellulite (2023, webmd.com)
- Acoustic wave therapy for cellulite, body shaping, and fat reduction – PubMed (2017, nih.gov)
- Benefits of Deadlifts: A Triple Threat For Your Back, Booty, And Legs – BetterMe (2022, betterme.world)
- Benefits Of Pistol Squats For Functional Legs | AFA Blog (2017, fitnesseducation.edu.au)
- Best way to Dumbbell Deadlift and Squat (2021, youtube.com)
- BTL Unison: The science of cellulite treatment – Dr. Preema London Clinic (2020, drpreema.com)
- Build Bigger Glutes With Perfect Training Technique ft. Stephanie Buttermore (Glute Kickback) (2019, youtube.com)
- Can Exercise Help Get Rid of Cellulite? (2022, medicinenet.com)
- Cellulite – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic (2021, mayoclinic.org)
- Cellulite treatments: What works? (n.d., aad.org)
- Cellulite: What It Is, Causes & Treatment (2021, clevelandclinic.org)
- Clamshells: The Best Exercise You’re Probably Doing Wrong. — Hawkstone Physical Therapy (2017, hawkstonept.com)
- Clam Shell Tutorial (2020, youtube.com)
- Comparison of Cellulite Severity Scales and Imaging Methods – PMC (2021, nih.gov)
- Evidence of the regulatory effect of Ginkgo biloba extracts on skin blood flow and study of its effects on urinary metabolites in healthy humans – PubMed (2004, nih.gov)
- Exercise Tutorial – Squat (2013, youtube.com)
- Glute Kickbacks Causing You Back Pain (2018, behmmjc.com)
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT): Benefits and how to start (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How to Do a Bridge Yoga Pose (2022, webmd.com)
- How To Do a Plie Squat with Proper Alignment (2018, youtube.com)
- How to Get Your First PISTOL SQUAT (Step-by-Step Progression) (2020, youtube.com)
- Is Cellulite Forever? – Scientific American (2009, scientificamerican.com)
- Lateral Lunges. You’re Doing It WRONG (2018, youtube.com)
- Lipedema: Symptoms, Causes, Tests, and Treatment (2019, clevelandclinic.org)
- Multicenter study of vacuum-assisted precise tissue release for the treatment of cellulite in a cohort of 112 Italian women assessed with cellulite dimples scale at rest – PubMed (2019, nih.gov)
- (PDF) Exercise-Based Approaches to the Treatment of Cellulite (2019, researchgate.net)
- Pop Squats | Exercise Guide (2017, youtube.com)
- Single Leg Hamstring Bridge (2021, youtube.com)
- Step Ups – Tutorial (2013, youtube.com)
- Subcision | Grossman Dermatology (n.d, grossmandermatology.com)
- The Benefits of Having a Regular Squatting Routine (2021, webmd.com)
- Video: Step-up exercise – Mayo Clinic (2023, mayoclinic.org)
- Weighted Jump Lunges Tutorial – How To Build Muscle, Great Cardio/HIIT Exercise (2021, youtube.com)
- What Are Lunges Good For? (n.d.,medicinenet.com)