You might have seen various fitness challenge calendars show up in your media feeds. They range from the 30-day plank challenge, 30-day squat challenge, to the famous 30-day abs squat challenge. The 30-day abs squat challenge tends to get all the glory as it helps you work on your butt and six-pack. These are two of the critical areas most people target when they want to transform their physique. If these are among your fitness goals, then chances are you might be considering this challenge.
Of course, your initial thought is probably whether or not you will make it through these 30 days no matter how tough it gets. Chances are you might forget to analyze it if this challenge is worth the hype in the first place. This could slip your mind if this program can help with making a difference in your physique.
In this article, we will comprehensively analyze this popular 30-day abs squat challenge. We desire to inform you of what you can expect when you decide to commit to this program for the next month. Similarly, we shall discuss the lowdown on this challenge, which can help you make a solid decision before starting this program.
A 30-Day Abs Squat Challenge: What Is It All About?
The 30-day abs squat challenge is among the most popular workout challenges to date. One reason it is quite popular is that most people figure they can use it to kill two birds with one stone. These involve keeping fit and attaining short-term goals such as getting a six-pack.
As the name suggests, this challenge lasts for 30 days or about a month. It involves doing a couple of ab exercises and some squats to help with getting toned. For example, it can include ab exercises such as the plank, crunch, or sit up.
You are expected to exercise religiously for the next 30 days if you want to see results. Similarly, you are required to have a goal before you start this program. Goals help with keeping you on track as you will have something defined that you are working towards. For example, a goal could be losing fat around your belly and ultimately getting a six-pack (1).
Does A 30-Day Abs Squat Challenge Work?
The following challenge can yield results if you stick to it and complete all the exercises in the 30 days. You also have to perform all the exercises correctly for them to work the expected muscles.
To help with this, you are urged to find some motivation to help you with seeing you through this program. You can find motivation by seeking the support of your friends and family members. Asking them to support your efforts may encourage you to complete this program.
Other Required Lifestyle Changes
One thing to note, this challenge may not yield results as fast as you may want. This means that you may not necessarily get your six-pack or toned butt after the completion of these 30 days. Likewise, you may not shed the desired pounds around your belly within these 30 days.
This is especially the case if you do not make other required lifestyle changes. Experts acknowledge that getting a lean midsection and a toned butt also requires healthy practices like good nutrition. Here are the tips experts recommend you adopt if you want the results from this 30-day abs and squat challenge:
Eating Healthy Meals
For quicker and better results, you are urged to ditch eating fast and processed foods. They have a high-fat content that only compromises your efforts of reducing fat around your abdominal muscles. Instead of such foods, you are advised to eat more nutritious and balanced meals. They should contain whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and foods from all other food groups.
You can also trigger quicker results from this challenge by increasing your movement. Instead of sleeping or watching television, try to take a walk. Walking is an aerobic exercise that helps your body burn more calories. It will help you become more physically active, getting you closer and closer to your fitness goals.
Creating A Meal Plan
To avoid deviating from good nutrition, experts recommend you create a diet plan. Healthy eating meal plans will not only help you attain your fitness goals but also help you watch your weight. Here are two samples of healthy meal plans from the Medical News Today website. These will give you an idea on how to create a diet plan that suits your needs. The first meal plan is ideally appropriate for females and the second one is suitable for males.
If you tend to let yourself off the hook, raise the white flag when things get tougher than you expected, send yourself on an unconscious binge-eating trip – BetterMe app is here to help you leave all of these sabotaging habits in the past!
Meal Plan For Females
- A blueberry avocado smoothie and a slice of whole-grain toast spread with almond butter.
- Red lentil-beet hummus with oatcakes.
- A portion of slow cooker black bean soup, roasted beets with almond cream cheese, grated carrots, and watercress.
- 28 grams of peanuts and an orange.
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry served with one cup of steamed brown rice, two squares of dark chocolate, and a handful of walnuts.
Meal Plan For Males
- Sardines on two slices of whole-grain toast with spread, a fresh spinach portion, and medium low-fat mocha drink.
- One-quarter cup of Brazil nuts and a banana.
- A grilled chicken fillet with one cup of cooked broccoli, half a cup of cooked carrots, one corn on the cob, and an orange.
- A slice of spinach and tomato frittata and one serving of green olives and a kombucha drink.
- Slow cooker sweet potato curry served with one cup of cauliflower rice, one wheat paratha, and a satsuma.
Benefits Of Participating In A 30-Day Abs Squat Challenge
Are you doubting why you need to participate in the 30-day abs squat challenge? Here are some significant reasons as to why you ought to take part in this challenge:
It Will Help In Toning Your Body
Squats tend to work your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, core and back muscles. Doing squats alongside some great ab exercises will help in toning your body within a month. This is because these workouts target numerous muscles in your body, especially those in your lower body.
It Will Reduce Your Risk To Several Health Conditions
Exercising by doing squats and ab exercises can also reduce your risk of several diseases. According to Medicine Net, doing squats improves blood circulation in your body and lowers your cholesterol levels. Exercising by using such a circuit also lowers your blood pressure and your risk of diseases such as diabetes.
It Will Improve Your Mood
In general, exercising helps with improving your mood. Your body gets to relax and exercising triggers your brain to improve your mood. During these 30 days, you will also get to relax, and reduce your anxiety and stress levels.
It Will Enhance Your Physical Performance
Squats are among the must-do exercises if you want to improve your physical performance. Since this challenge incorporates these exercises and you will get to attain this goal within these 30 days.
The other reasons why you ought to try this challenge include:
- It is simple. This is perhaps the most straightforward challenge ever. You do not necessarily need a trainer to perform this workout circuit. Similarly, it does not involve complicated workouts that you need to learn before performing.
- It does not entail any equipment. You do not necessarily need any weights to perform this exercise. However, for increased intensity, your trainer can recommend using some dumbbells or a resistance band when doing squats.
- It yields results. Within these 30 days, you are bound to see some changes in your physique. Although they may not be rapid, the challenge will certainly transform your physique. For more gradual and sustainable changes, you can try other longer workout challenges. However, you can only do that after consulting with your doctor and fitness trainer (2).
Exercises Incorporated In This 30-Day Abs Squat Challenge
As discussed above, this challenge has a lot of upsides. Therefore, it is worth a shot. If you do consider trying this challenge, then expect the following exercises:
Despite there being multiple variations of the squat, this challenge advocates doing the air or bodyweight squats. These workouts entail using your body weight, so ditch any additional weights when doing the air squats.
Although squats are pretty easy to do, you may end up making numerous mistakes while performing them. It happens when you do to follow the correct bodyweight squat form. When this happens, you increase your risk of suffering from knee pain.
To avoid this, use these pointers and this step-by-step guide on how to do a perfect squat:
- Start in standing position. Let your feet be shoulder-width apart and back straight.
- Start to slowly bend your knees and lower your butt towards the ground. It will appear as if you are taking a seat. Stretch out your arms to maintain balance.
- Your heels must remain pressed on the floor. Likewise, you must keep your butt above your knee level and only lower as far as you can without causing any discomfort. Remember to also keep your back straight and in a neutral position throughout. Another pointer is that your hips, knees, and toes must be pointing forward when doing this exercise.
- Inhale and then push down your heels to return to the initial stance. As you come back up, try to tighten or clench your butt (3).
Experts Take on Doing Squats for 30 Days
Experts acknowledge that squat exercises will work your hamstrings, thighs, quads, and even your abs. However, the result may be inconclusive and not well-rounded within a month. Instead of doing squats for only 30 days, experts recommend you do these exercises every other day. However, you will have to give yourself some rest days to give your muscles time to recover.
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
The following 30-day abs and squat challenge will also involve some bicycle crunches. These are great ab exercises, especially if your goal is getting and strengthening your rectus abdominis, better known as the six-pack. To do bicycle crunches, you have to do the following:
- Lie on a mat with your face toward the ceiling. Bend your knees and place your hands behind your head
- Lift both your feet from the floor and try to bring the right knee toward your chest while stretching out your left leg. At the same time, lift your shoulders and upper back from the floor and bring your left elbow toward your right knee. Aim at touching the elbow to the knee. Hold this position for some seconds before returning to the starting position
- Repeat the process. However, this time, bring your right elbow toward the left leg. It means you will be extending your right leg
If you want a 3 in 1 30-day challenge, then you can include squats, bicycle crunches, and burpees. Burpees tend to combine a push-up and a squat. It means that doing burpees helps you reap the benefits of doing both a squat and a push-up. This makes this exercise an excellent full-body workout. To do a burpee, you ought to:
- Start in the standing position with your arms resting by your sides
- Drop into a squat. Remember to squat in the proper form to avoid injuring either your back or knee
- Instead of standing back up, you are required to drop down into the plank position. Again, remember to maintain the correct plank position. Your back must be straight and your head and neck must be in a neutral position
- While in this position, do one push-up. After this, you will return to the standing position. If you want to add the intensity of this exercise, try to jump out of the squat into the standing position. It will make the exercise even more challenging. However, if you want to make it easier, you can do away with the push-up stage
The 30 Day Abs And Squat Challenge Chart
For this 30-day workout plan, the reps of the exercises have been designed to accommodate even beginners. Reps are increased day by day to help with increasing the intensity of the exercises. We have kept within the recommended limit of these exercises.
For example, experts recommend you do ten bicycle crunches in one set and increase the reps over time. Therefore, you can be sure that we will suggest doable and safe reps. If you follow along with this plan for the next 30 days, you are bound to notice some changes in your overall physique. Here is the challenge chart that you are expected to follow for the next month:
- Day 1: 20 squats, 10 bicycle crunches, 10 burpees
- Day 2: 25 squats, 15 bicycle crunches, 15 burpees
- Day 3: 30 squats, 20 bicycle crunches, 20 burpees
- Day 4: 35 squats, 25 bicycle crunches, 10 burpees
- Day 5: 40 squats, 30 bicycle crunches, 15 burpees
- Day 6: 20 squats, 10 bicycle crunches, 5 burpees
- Day 7: 50 squats, 35 bicycle crunches, 20 burpees
- Day 8: REST DAY
- Day 9: 20 squats, 10 bicycle crunches, 10 burpees
- Day 10: 55 squats, 45 bicycle crunches, 25 burpees
- Day 11: 60 squats, 50 bicycle crunches, 30 burpees
- Day 12: 65 squats, 55 bicycle crunches, 35 burpees
- Day 13: 10 squats, 10 bicycle crunches, 10 burpees
- Day 14: 20 squats, 15 bicycle crunches, 15 burpees
- Day 15: 25 squats, 20 bicycle crunches, 20 burpees
- Day 16: 30 squats, 25 bicycle crunches, 25 burpees
- Day 17: 35 squats, 30 bicycle crunches, 30 burpees
- Day 18: REST DAY
- Day 19: 10 squats, 10 bicycle crunches, 10 burpees
- Day 20: 20 squats, 15 bicycle crunches, 15 burpees
- Day 21: 25 squats, 20 bicycle crunches, 20 burpees
- Day 22: 30 squats, 25 bicycle crunches, 25 burpees
- Day 23: 35 squats, 30 bicycle crunches, 30 burpees
- Day 24: 40 squats, 35 bicycle crunches, 35 burpees
- Day 25: 45 squats, 40 bicycle crunches, 40 burpees
- Day 26: 50 squats, 45 bicycle crunches, 45 burpees
- Day 27: REST DAY
- Day 28: 55 squats, 50 bicycle crunches, 50 burpees
- Day 29: 60 squats, 55 bicycle crunches, 55 burpees
- Day 30: 100 squats, 100 bicycle crunches, 50 burpees
When To Avoid The 30 Day Abs And Squat Challenge
Although this workout program has numerous benefits, in some situations you have to avoid it. Here are examples of situations that should cause you to carefully consider opting out of this 30 days abs squat challenge:
- If you are pregnant.
- If you are over 50. Although exercise is recommended for anyone over 50 years, you should seek medical advice before taking part in any workout challenge.
- If you have extreme knee pain. You need time to heal before trying this 30-day challenge as it involves doing squats. These exercises entail the application of more pressure to your knees.
- If you are participating in another workout challenge. Experts recommend you try one challenge at a time to avoid overtraining. Overtraining is harmful and can cause detrimental health effects.
- If you have various health conditions that may be affected by any exercise program. In such a case, you have to talk to your doctor first. They will help in determining the limitations, dangers, and possible benefits of trying such a challenge.
- If you are unsure about it. It is always important to listen to your body. If it is not accommodating such a challenge and leaving you unsure about your safe participation, stop immediately. Seek professional advice before you re-consider continuing with the program.
The Bottom Line
The 30-day abs squat challenge is one of the best circuits to consider for total body transformation. The preceding 30-day plan entails three crucial exercises, which are the squats, bicycle crunches, and burpees. All these exercises have numerous benefits individually. Coupled together, these exercises should help you attain your fitness goals. Remember to seek professional advice before you start this 30-day abs and squat challenge.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Abdominal Exercises: A Review Study For Training Prescription (2017, researchgate.net)
- Are Deep Squats a Safe and Viable Exercise? (2012, researchgate.net)
- How to squat? Effects of various stance widths, foot placement angles and level of experience on knee, hip and trunk motion and loading (2018, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)