How much difference can a 2 week weight loss make? While weight loss is a long-term goal and not a short-term one, many people often forget that the little things that they do in their everyday life significantly affect how their weight loss journey will be. In this article, we shall be shedding light on how a simple 2 week weight loss plan can help you make great strides in living a healthier life. We shall also be providing you with a simple 2 week challenge and a short meal plan to help you get started.
Why Should You Limit Your Weight Loss To 2 Lbs Per Week?
When you look up how much weight you can lose per week, most sources often state that healthy and sustainable weight loss is about 1 to 2 lbs per week. If you have ever wondered why this is the advisable amount and nothing more, here is why:
- It is sustainable. While losing 5 lbs in a week may seem like a good idea, it is honestly not sustainable in the long run. Whatever steps you take to help you lose this much weight in such a short time frame cannot be sustained throughout your life, let alone for 2 months. The minute you stop you are bound to most likely gain all the weight back (15).
- It is healthy. Again, weight loss is a lifelong commitment and not just a number on the scale. If you want to lose weight and keep it off looking for shortcuts is the easiest way to fail. Sticking to 2 lbs per week ensures that you are making it a lifestyle.
- Rapid weight loss has more cons than pros. While quick weight loss may seem like a good idea at the beginning, in the long run it leaves you at a higher risk of issues such as reduced immunity, a lower metabolism, nutritional deficiencies which lead to disease, gallstones, hair loss, mood swings, missing periods and much more (10).
2-Week Weight Loss Challenge Template
|1: HIIT||Side Lunge to Toe Touch, Jumping Jack, Squats, High Knees, Front Lunges, Jog on the Spot, Burpees, Bicycle Crunches, High Planks, Sit-Ups||8: Abs + Core||Elbow Planks, Russian Twists, Ankle Grabbers, Sit-Ups, Leg Raise Holds, Elbow Side Planks (20 secs each side), Single Leg Raises (alternate sides), Flutter Kicks, V-Up Hold, Knee to Elbow Planks|
|2: Active Recovery||Do some simple stretching exercises or yoga||9: Active Recovery||Full body stretches|
|3: Abs + Arms||Mountain Climbers, Ab Crunches, Side Planks with 1 Arm Raised to Ceiling (20 seconds on each side), Leg Raises, Hip Dips, Reverse Crunches, Elbow Planks, Reverse Air Bike, High Planks, Tabletop Toe Touches||10: Arms + Back||Arm Circles, Wing Open, Inchworms and Shoulder Tap, Standard Push-Ups, Back Lifts, Air Punches, High Planks, Pull-Ups, Knee Push-Ups, Tricep Dips|
|4: Cardio||Go for a hike or take a walk at a park/neighbourhood||11: Cardio||Swimming/Kickboxing/ Power Walking (30 mins to an hour)|
|5: Lower Body||Squats, Side Lunges, Side Leg Lifts (left leg), Side Leg Lifts (right leg), Reverse Lunges, Inner Leg Lifts (20 secs each side), Squat + Side Kick, Donkey Kicks, Sumo Squat Pulses, Hip Bridge||12: Lower Body +HIIT||Jog on the Spot, Squats, Jumping Jacks, Reverse Lunges + Kick, Standing Crunches, Burpees, Split Lunges, Sumo Squats, Mountain Climbers, Deadlifts|
|6: Rest Day||Binge on your favourite shows||13: Rest Day||Take a day off and enjoy yourself|
|7: Cardio||Jump Rope/ Cycling/Running (30 minutes to an hour)||14: Cardio||Choose your preferred cardio work out and do that (30 min to 1 hr)|
Tips To Remember While Doing The 2-Week Weight Loss Workout Plan
To ensure that you are getting the maximum results from the above 2 week weight loss challenge, here are some things to remember while doing your workouts:
- Time frame. All the workouts under each section should be done for 40 seconds and you will get a 10 seconds break in between each workout. This obviously excludes days that cover cardio and active rest days.
- Squats. Always squeeze your glutes while pushing the hips forward. You should also ensure to squat as low as you can – the lower the better. However, always pace yourself and if you have an issue with your knees, find a modified version.
- Burpees. While burpees are a great workout, they can be quite hard, especially as a beginner. Instead of jumping, you can just lift your hands up and if you cannot do a standard push-up, modify it and do a knee push-up.
- Keep your core engaged throughout.
How To Make A 2-Week Weight Loss Meal Plan
While exercise is important in a 2 week weight loss plan, it is not the only thing that matters. For you to successfully achieve substantial weight loss in 2 weeks, your diet must also be on point and as healthy as possible.
If you are looking to make a 2 week weight loss meal plan, here are some things that you should consider and keep in mind:
- Your dietary requirements. Are you allergic to certain foods/ingredients? Do you follow a certain diet? E.g. Are you vegan? A vegetarian? Following a ketogenic or maybe Mediterranean diet? This will help you create a menu that works for you.
- Your calorie intake. For effective and sustainable weight loss, you should try to cut your calorie intake by 500 to 1000 calories a day from your typical diet (1). Download a reputable calorie counting app to help you determine how much calories you should be consuming per day for you to lose up to 2 pounds a week.
- Your activity levels. If you are participating in the 2 week weight loss challenge above then your calorie intake may have to be more than you think it should be. The longer and harder your workouts are, the more food you will need to eat to give your body the sustenance it needs to keep you going (6). This is why bodybuilders and people who workout often tend to eat more than the rest as they expend more energy.
When making your meal plan, please ensure that you take into account your daily physical activity and adjust your meals to make up the difference. The easiest way to do this is by logging your workouts in a calorie counting app and it will help you adjust the difference.
- Include more protein options in your meal plans. Of all the macronutrients (i.e. protein, carbohydrates, and fats), protein helps to boost your metabolism, reduce your appetite and positively influences your hunger and satiety hormones ensuring that you stay fuller for longer.
This automatically makes you eat less which helps with weight loss. Ensure to include high protein food options such as fattyfish, lean animal protein, low-fat dairy, eggs, nuts and seeds, tofu, legumes and lentils etc., in your 2 week weight loss meal plan.
- Eat more fiber. While fiber is often associated with a healthy gut (13), consuming more of it will also help with weight loss and reducing belly fat. Several studies have shown that increasing your fiber intake per day will not only help you lose weight, but it can also help to prevent type 2 diabetes, lower your blood pressure, maintain gut health and prevent cardiovascular disease (12).
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
It also doesn’t hurt that fiber takes longer to digest which helps keep you fuller for longer which prevents unnecessary snacking thus reducing calorie intake. The daily recommended fiber intake in adults is 25 g to 30 g (9). Some high fiber foods to include in your meal plan include pears, oatmeal, berries, avocados, apples, bananas, kale, broccoli, beans, peas, lentils, and more.
- Reduce empty calories. Almost all foods and drinks have calories and within these calories, we get some nutritional value from them. However, some foods and drinks tend to be high in calories, have no significant nutritional value, and are almost always high in sugar, fats, sodium or alcohol (2).
If you would like to achieve some weight loss in 2 weeks be sure to avoid candy, sugary drinks, alcohol, baked goods such as cakes and cookies, fast foods like fries, burgers, and pizza, etc.
Following these simple steps will ensure that your 2 week meal plan is healthy, clean, and works with you towards your weight loss goals.
Sample 2-Weeks Weight Loss Meal Plan
Below are a couple of meals to help you get started on your 2 weeks weight loss diet. Please note that the calorie intake for each day will vary so be sure to make adjustments to fit to your dietary needs.
Meal 1 – Tomato & Spinach Scrambled eggs
1 tbsp vegetable oil, half of a medium tomato, 1 cup baby spinach, 3 eggs, 2 tbsp feta cheese, salt and pepper to taste
Calories: 199. Fats: 16 g. Protein: 11.4 g. Carbs: 2.4 g.
Meal 2 – Quinoa Salad
1 cup dried quinoa, 1 and 3/4 cups water, 1 tsp garlic powder, 396 g chickpeas, 1 cup grape tomatoes, 1 cup diced cucumber, 1/2 diced red onion, 198 g kalamata olives, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper to taste, juice of 1 large lemon, drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Calories: 341. Fats: 10.2 g. Protein: 12.8 g. Carbs: 52.4 g.
Meal 3 – Homemade Granola Bar
1.5 cups gluten-free rolled oats, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup sliced almonds, 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 cup almond butter, 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp sea salt, a pinch of ground nutmeg
This recipe makes 8 servings
Calories for 1 serving (1 bar): 311. Fats: 12.8 g. Protein: 7.3 g. Carbs: 37.7 g.
Meal 4 – Tomato & Leek Pasta
3 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 kg whole-wheat gnocchi, 2 cups sliced leek, 1 pint of halved cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage, 1 large garlic clove, 1/4 cup dry white wine, 2 tbsps butter, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tbsp ground pepper
This recipe makes 4 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 399. Fats: 18.8 g. Protein: 9.4 g. Carbs: 48 g.
Total calorie intake for the day: Calories: 1250. Fats: 57.8 g. Protein: 40.9 g. Carbs: 140.5 g.
Meal 1 – Smoothie
1 cup fresh kale, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup berries, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, 2 tbsp rolled oats
Calories: 320. Fats: 12.6 g. Protein: 8.6 g. Carbs: 47.6 g.
Meal 2 – Apple Donuts
1 green apple cut into 1/4-inch rings, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Top with either shredded coconut, hemp hearts, sliced strawberries or bananas
Calories: 166. Fats: 9.1 g. Protein: 3.9 g. Carbs: 18.5 g.
Meal 3 – Saucy Chicken
1 450 g chicken cutlets, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
This recipe makes 4 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 324. Fats: 18.9 g. Protein: 25 g. Carbs: 8.4 g.
Meal 4 – Chicken Taco Soup
1/2 tbsp avocado oil, 1 small diced yellow onion, 1 small diced red bell pepper, 1 small diced green bell pepper, 5 minced garlic cloves garlic, 450 g boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 425 g roasted diced tomatoes, 127 g green chilies, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 907 g chicken broth.
Optional cilantro diced red onion and lime wedges for serving
Calories for 1 serving: 258. Fats: 6.1 g. Protein: 30 g. Carbs: 22.7 g.
Meal 5 – Apple and peanut butter
1 medium-sized apple, 1 tbsp natural unsalted peanut butter, 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Calories: 189. Fats: 8.3 g. Protein: 4.4 g. Carbs: 28.5 g.
Total calorie intake for the day: Calories: 1257. Fats: 55 g. Protein: 71.9 g. Carbs: 125.7 g.
Meal 1 – Smoothie Bowl
2/3 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup frozen sliced banana, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 5 tbsps sliced almonds, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
Calories: 360. Fats: 19 g. Protein: 9.2 g. Carbs: 45.6 g.
Meal 2 – Salmon Salad
For the Salmon – 453 g salmon fillets, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad – 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper, 1 cup kalamata olives, 1 cup marinated artichokes, 1/2 cup quartered cucumber, 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, 170 g crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 tbsp fresh dill, salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing – 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp oregano, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper
This makes 4 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 488. Fats: 34.2 g. Protein: 34.4 g. Carbs: 15.4 g.
Meal 3 – Rice and Chicken Curry
425 g coconut milk, 1/4 cup chicken broth/water, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp grated ginger, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 450 g boneless skinless chicken breast, 2 1/2 cups cubed sweet potato, 2 medium carrots, 1 diced yellow onion, 1 diced red bell pepper, 1 cup frozen peas
This makes 4 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 357. Fats: 12.9 g. Protein: 29.7 g. Carbs: 31.8 g.
Meal 4 – Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sea salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, 1 thinly sliced yellow onion, 1 large bunch of kale, 450 g brussels sprouts, juice of 2 lemons, 2/3 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, a pinch of nutmeg, 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup chopped almonds
This makes 8 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 201. Fats: 11 g. Protein: 5 g. Carbs: 23 g.
Total calorie intake for the day: Calories: 1406. Fats: 77.1 g. Protein: 78.3 g. Carbs: 115.8 g.
Intense sweat sessions, working weight loss tips, lip-smacking recipes come in one package with the BetterMe app. And all of it is at your fingertips, start transforming your life now!
Meal 1 – Vegan Scramble
For the tofu – 227 g extra-firm tofu, 15-30 ml olive oil, 1/4 red onion, 1/2 red pepper, 134 g kale
For the sauce – 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, water, 1/4 tsp turmeric
This makes 2 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 202. Fats: 15.1 g. Protein: 16.4 g. Carbs: 7.1 g.
Meal 2 – Thai Chicken Salad
The vegetables – 2 cups shredded red cabbage, 2 cups shredded green cabbage, 2 cups shredded chicken breast, 1 cup sliced red bell pepper, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1/3 cup sliced green onions, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 1/3 cup sliced almonds
Dressing – 1/2 cup almond butter, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp coconut aminos, 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 2 tbsp sriracha, 2 medjool dates, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, 1 tsp salt, 2 cloves fresh garlic, 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
This makes 4 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 518. Fats: 27.9 g. Protein: 37.2 g. Carbs: 35 g.
Meal 3 – Cauliflower tacos
Ingredients – 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, 12 oz cauliflower florets, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tbsp lime juice,
To serve – Tahini, corn tortillas, black beans, shredded lettuce, salsa, lime wedges, avocado
This makes 2 servings
Calories for 1 serving: 506. Fats: 27.1 g. Protein: 16.4 g. Carbs: 62 g.
Total calorie intake for the day: Calories: 1232. Fats: 70.1 g. Protein: 70 g. Carbs: 104.1 g.
Should You Attempt A 2-Week Detox Weight Loss Plan?
In recent years, detox diets and cleanses have become quite popular with many people claiming that not only have such diets helped them lose weight, but that they will also help you be rid of any toxins in your body.
At a glance, such statements may convince you that a 2 week detox weight loss plan is a good idea but experts do not agree with such sentiments. Not only are detox diets and cleanses quite strict but they are also unhealthy and could lead to severe health complications. There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of “cleansing” the human body, so be wary of anyone telling you otherwise.
Please note that any diet that calls for fasting for long periods (intermittent fasting not included), encourages a liquid diet, the use of laxatives or suspicious weight loss teas or the consumption of very little to no solid foods is a fad diet.
Not only are such diets not sustainable in the long run, but there is also no scientific evidence that proves and detoxifies abilities. Your body naturally detoxifies itself and does not need ‘help’ from such diets or cleanses (14, 3).
How Much Weight Loss On 2-Week Liquid Diet?
- The clear liquid diet. You eat exclusively clear liquids for example water, broth, some juices without pulp, and plain gelatin.
- Full liquid diet. This includes any foods that are liquid or will turn to liquid at room temperature, or melt at body temperature. Examples include options such as yogurt, fruit juice, soup, blended oatmeal, ice-cream and more.
Please note that a healthy person looking to shed a couple of pounds should not use any of these diets as a weight loss meal plan. The only time anyone is required to follow either eating plan is before a medical procedure like a bariatric surgery, if they are having digestive issues or problems with swallowing.
While some sources say that you can lose anywhere between 2 to 4 pounds a week while on liquid diet (7), such eating plans are not recommended (especially without medical supervision) as they can lead to nutritional deficiencies, constipation, muscle and hair loss, heart damage, and gallstones among other side effects (11).
How To Increase Weight Loss To 2 Lbs Per Week?
There is no special secret to weight loss. As long as you have a balanced diet, reduce your calorie intake and develop healthy habits such as sleeping more, increasing your water intake, limiting alcohol intake and empty calories as well as reducing stress, you will be able to increase your weight loss to 2 lbs per week (5).
If I Fast For 2 Days A Week What Will It Do For Weight Loss?
This might help boost your weight loss as it creates a calorie deficit. Fasting for 2 days a week could also help with blood sugar regulation.
The Bottom Line
2 week weight loss is very possible as long as you have to be realistic with your expectations. Do not believe the hype that claims to help you lose a large amount of weight in such a short time. Losing 4 to 8 lbs in 2 weeks is healthy and sustainable as long as you follow a healthy meal plan and incorporate an exercise regimen in your day to day.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any medical conditions. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Counting calories: Get back to weight-loss basics (2020, mayoclinic.org)
- Everything you need to know about empty calories (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)
- Full Body Detox: 9 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body (2019, healthline.com)
- Full liquid diet: Everything you need to know (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- How Can I Guarantee a Two Pound Per Week Weight Loss? (n.d., livestrong.com)
- How Fast Can You Lose Weight on a Liquid-Only Diet? (2019, livestrong.com)
- How Does Physical Activity Affect Someone’s Calorie Needs? (2018, healthyeating.sfgate.com)
- How to Follow a Clear Liquid Diet (2019, healthline.com)
- Increasing Fiber Intake (n.d., ucsfhealth.org)
- Is It Bad to Lose Weight Too Quickly? (2017, healthline.com)
- Liquid Diet (2020, webmd.com)
- Making one change — getting more fiber — can help with weight loss (2015, health.harvard.edu)
- Short-term increase in fiber alters gut microbiome (2021, medicalnewstoday.com)
- The Truth About Detox Diets (2020, webmd.com)
- What is healthy weight loss? (2020, cdc.gov)