We all know that the secret to sticking to your exercise routine to attain your fitness goals is motivation. However, sometimes, we may lose the motivation to keep going. This happens when you are feeling tired and sore from your workouts.
In a similar way you may lose motivation when you are confused about the right exercises or the correct form. These are among the many reasons you may feel like giving up on your fitness journey.
Even so, a significant number have reported a lack of motivation to exercise due to fatigue. As a result they have considered quitting despite not attaining their goals. With this in mind, how do you get the motivation to exercise when tired? Find out here!
How To Get Motivation To Exercise When Tired
You may find yourself extra tired and trying all kinds of ways to get motivated enough to work out yet your efforts may not be paying off. As a result, you may have missed several workouts or even given up on your exercise routine.
We do not want you to get to this point, so we would like to share some tips on finding the motivation to exercise when tired. Do not be fooled by their simplicity because their impact is massive. These tips include:
Exercising In The Morning
Of course, you will feel fatigued if you work out in the evening after a busy day. The last thing on your mind will likely be exercise. Similarly, you have a higher chance of skipping your workouts if you get stuck working overtime on your workout days.
To avoid these, you are advised to try exercising in the morning (1). Yes, waking up early is harder for some but it can be a practical way of fighting fatigue. In addition, you may find that working out in the morning is manageable and an excellent way to boost your energy levels for the day ahead.
Make It Fun
You may be feeling tired and unmotivated about exercising because your workout plan lacks a fun element. Some people view exercise as torture or punishment they have to do for their unhealthy lifestyle choices.
You need to understand that keeping your workouts fun is essential for motivation and goal attainment (1). That said, introduce the fun element in your workout plan, for example, by choosing activities you like the most. This will give you something to look forward to when you think about exercise.
Make sure that the activities align with your set fitness goals. If they don’t, you can ask your trainer to craft a new training plan for you. You may find that you are getting unmotivated and tired due to monotony. Remember to let your trainer know when crafting the training plan which activities you enjoy most.
Read More: Vitamins For Energy And Tiredness: Benefits, And Which Foods To Eat
If you feel exhausted from exercising even when you are not busy, it might be time to try a new technique that entails joining forces. You will be surprised to learn that you may not be alone.
By joining forces, you get to work out together and be a step closer to attaining your fitness goals (2). The good news is, you can choose to join forces with your co-workers, friends, or loved ones. Note that you do not have to meet physically. You can always work out together virtually.
Change It Up
Trying a new exercise program is another easy and quick way of overcoming boredom and fatigue. You might discover that you may be using a very intense workout plan that contributes to fatigue.
In this case you need to change the routine and try a less intense but practical exercise plan (2). First, include a few repetitions and use fewer heavyweights to fight fatigue. Then, you can gradually increase the reps and loads for an added intensity with time.
Talk Yourself Out Of It
Talking yourself into working out despite the fatigue can also be a strategy to help you exercise despite being tired. You can try talking yourself into exercising for a few minutes. After that you may find yourself in the middle of the routine, motivated to finish it.
If that doesn’t work, you may find yourself exercising by performing mini-sessions during the day instead of one long workout (1). This is still an approach to help you exercise. That said, this strategy may not work for long or for some. Try other listed strategies, such as recruiting new workout buddies.
Another excellent way to find the motivation to exercise despite being fatigued is to promise yourself a reward after the workout plan. The reward must be motivating enough to have you fight through these fatigue feelings and complete your session.
However, it should not be a one-day affair. Experts suggest having a reward that helps you make a long-term commitment never to miss your workout (1). They could be internal or external rewards. External rewards like treating yourself to a new pair of jeans or shoes work best for most people.
Yanking yourself back in shape has never been so easy with our game-changing fitness app! Start transforming your life with BetterMe!
Find Energy Boosters
You can also get motivated to exercise despite being tired by looking for energy boosters. Energy drain can contribute to fatigue, causing you to miss out on too many things, no matter how interesting they sound.
However, what is more challenging is discovering that you are fatigued because of an energy drain. This may not be as straightforward as it sounds. If you are lucky enough to spot an energy drain, focus on boosting your energy level through natural energy booster techniques. Some of them include (3):
- Increasing Your Magnesium Intake. Magnesium is crucial in the body for several biochemical reactions, including converting glucose to energy. An energy drain signifies that you do not have enough magnesium in the body. So, you can increase this nutrient’s level by consuming foods such as halibut, almonds, and cashews.
- Taking A Power Nap. Yes, a power nap is another excellent way of naturally boosting your energy levels. When you nap, your brain gets a break from the loads of thoughts that may indirectly contribute to your fatigue (3). You will wake up feeling energized to workout. You can also rest if you feel sleepy after the workout.
- Eat All Meals. An empty stomach can also lead to energy depletion and make you feel lazy and tired. So, experts advise you to eat all your meals, and most importantly, do not skip breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it enhances your mood and energy levels (3). Remember also to snack before and after your workout sessions.
- Have A Power Snack. You can also have a quick snack to boost your energy levels enough to have you exercise. A small treat can leave you in a better mood or enough energy to fight through fatigue and exercise.
- Walk Around. Experts also acknowledge that walking can increase energy levels and fight exhaustion. A study revealed that a brisk walk lasting ten minutes increased energy levels that lasted close to two hours (3). So, the more you walk, the higher the energy levels. However, you do not want to tire yourself because you still have to exercise.
- Hydrate. Drinking water can also boost your energy levels because dehydration has been found to leave you feeling exhausted and lethargic.
Read More: Easy Workouts To Lose Weight: 11 Effective Routines To Help You Reach Your Goals
Flexibility is another trait that can help you fight fatigue and help you exercise. Being flexible means several things. First, this could mean having a flexible schedule that allows you to switch it up to accommodate all your needs (2).
For example, it could mean having a schedule that allows you to exercise in the evening if you are busy in the morning. As another option, it could also mean having a schedule that will enable you to take a few days off to rest (2).
You can always rest on the days you feel extra tired or simply do not feel up to the task. However, the rest days must be few, probably two days a week. After the small break, you will have regained your enthusiasm and will be ready to get back on track like nothing happened.
The Bottom Line
You may at one point lose motivation to exercise for reasons such as fatigue or boredom. In these scenarios. You may be tempted to skip a workout and end up missing too many of them. So, it would help if you looked for a way to find the motivation to exercise when tired or bored.
Most experts suggest setting a reward, changing the routine, joining forces, gaining flexibility, hydrating, and boosting your energy levels. Some of these strategies entail making some changes to your exercise program. It would be best to make such changes with the help of a professional trainer.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 10 Ways to Boost Your Exercise Motivation (2013, webmd.com)
- Fitness: Tips for staying motivated (2021, mayoclinic.org)
- Top 10 Ways to Boost Your Energy (2005, webmd.com)