Getting started on a healthy eating meal plan can be difficult. On those days that you simply can’t get your mind off that parfait dessert you had a while back it’s especially true. As frustrating as that sounds, with a little discipline and some guidance you’ll achieve your goals in no time. In this article, we outline how you can best pull off a healthy meal plan. The bonus? You also get 21 quick, simple and easy ways to get started today.
What Is A 21 Day Fix Meal Plan?
Short answer? It’s essentially a weight loss program that helps get you started on a healthy eating and exercise plan that can help you lose weight over the long term.
The 21 day fix is an intensive program that incorporates workouts and a portion-controlled meal program. Throughout this piece, we’ll be focusing on the latter part and tell you everything you need to know for success.
How To Start A 21 Day Fix For Beginners
Here are 3 essential steps you should follow to make your journey easier:
Work Out Your Calorie Levels
In a sense it doesn’t matter what your ultimate goals are. Whether you want to lose, maintain, gain weight or you simply just want to eat healthier, knowing your daily caloric goals is crucial. Having this information will help you properly adjust your ultimate portion fix recipes for a better outcome.
Start By Creating A Day’s Meal Plan
You should always keep in mind that there’s no one-size-fits-all approach in doing this.
Read through all the available options then think about which ones you’d like to have at each meal. There’s also no harm in including some of your favorite healthy snacks.
Start simple by going with basic ingredients that don’t require much work in preparing. Next, introduce the recipes then you can start planning meals for multiple days. Some of the questions you should ask yourself are:
- Do you want to eat the same thing for breakfast every day, or maybe switch it up?
- What about lunches, dinners, and snacks?
- Have you got time to cook or do you prefer the simpler choices?
- Are you more comfortable with step-by-step meal prep menus or maybe a selection of healthy refrigerated foods that can be combined to make meals?
Once you’ve figured out what you’d like your meal plan to be, you can move to the next step.
Write A Grocery List
Creating a grocery list and sticking to it will be instrumental in completing your journey. Center your list around the meals you chose for the next about three to five days. While there’s no harm in buying a surplus, you should try sticking to amounts that match your caloric goals.
Other tips for a faster prep time of the 21 day fix recipes include:
- Roast all your vegetables and bake all your potatoes at once
- Purchase pre-cut or frozen vegetables
- Pre-cook sufficient brown rice or quinoa for a week
- Stock up berries and fruits that don’t require cutting
- Raw, unsalted nuts are great portable snacks
- Chop up all the cucumber, carrots, bell peppers, and other raw veggies for ready toppings on salads
- Hard boil several eggs at a go for a quick, high-protein snack or to be added in salads.
- Mornings can be tedious. You can never go wrong with a large batch of overnight oats.
- Canned tuna is an excellent quick protein.
Easy 21 Day Fix Meal Plan For Beginners
Here’s what a sample meal plan will look like:
- Breakfast: ½ cup of cooked oatmeal served alongside 1 teaspoon of nut butter, 2 hard boiled eggs and sauteed spinach.
- Snack: 1 cup of frozen and thawed blueberries.
- Lunch: A whole wheat bread with 1 teaspoon of mayo served with 6 slices of deli ham and tomato slices.
- Snack: Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon of nut butter and ½ banana.
- Dinner: Chicken breast cooked in about 1 teaspoon of olive oil alongside ½ cup of cooked brown rice and 10 olives.
- Snack: An apple, 20 pistachios and sugar snap peas.
- Breakfast: Whole wheat toast spread with 1 teaspoon of butter, served with 2 hard boiled eggs and tomato slices.
- Snack: Grapes.
- Lunch: Salad greens of your choice alongside chicken breast cooked in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a light dressing.
- Snack: Frozen and thawed frozen blueberries alongside celery and hummus.
- Dinner: Ground turkey cooked in 1 teaspoon of olive oil, whole wheat pasta, 10 olives and marinara sauce.
- Snack: ½ banana, nut butter and some cottage cheese.
- Breakfast: Oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of nut butter, 2 hard boiled eggs and sauteed spinach
- Snack: ½ a banana.
- Lunch: Chicken breast cooked in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, sweet potatoes and 5 steamed brussels sprouts.
- Snack: Slices of cucumber alongside 2 cheese sticks and grapes.
- Dinner: Extra lean ground beef cooked in 1 teaspoon of olive oil served with cauliflower rice, 10 olives and 2 corn tortillas.
- Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs alongside 1 teaspoon of nut butter and ½ a banana.
- Breakfast: Whole wheat waffle served with greek yogurt and nut butter.
- Snack: 1 banana.
- Lunch: Salad greens of your choice alongside chicken breast cooked in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and an approved dressing.
- Snack: Whole wheat toast with mashed avocado topping and sliced tomatoes.
- Dinner: Baked potatoes with butter, grilled steak and 5 brussels sprouts.
- Snack: An apple, 1 teaspoon of nut butter and greek yogurt.
Reasons why BetterMe is a safe bet: a wide range of calorie-blasting workouts, finger-licking recipes, 24/7 support, challenges that’ll keep you on your best game, and that just scratches the surface! Start using our app and watch the magic happen.
- Breakfast: Whole wheat toast spread with 1 teaspoon of butter, alongside sauteed spinach and 2 hard boiled eggs.
- Snack: Banana with 2 teaspoons of nut butter and coconut flakes.
- Lunch: 8 whole wheat crackers served with 6 slices of deli ham and 10 baby carrots.
- Dinner: Ground beef, some baked potatoes spread with 1 teaspoon of butter and sauteed zucchini.
- Snack: Frozen and thawed greek yogurt with frozen peaches.
- Breakfast: Whole grain waffles spread with 1 teaspoon of nut butter alongside 2 hard boiled eggs.
- Snack: Frozen and thawed blueberries.
- Lunch: 7 slices of chopped deli ham served an approved dressing and salad greens of your choice.
- Snack: 10 baby carrots, 8 whole wheat crackers, grapes and 2 cheese sticks.
- Dinner: Baked potatoes spread with 1 teaspoon of butter, served with grilled chicken and green beans.
- Snack: Cottage cheese, an apple and 2 teaspoons of nut butter.
- Breakfast: Sauteed spinach, 2 hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and 1 teaspoon of nut butter.
- Snack: Frozen and thawed peaches.
- Lunch: 6 slices of deli ham served with whole wheat bread, 1 teaspoon of mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and pickles.
- Snack: Sliced cucumber alongside 2 hard boiled eggs and hummus.
- Dinner: Sweet potato.
- Snack: Banana, 1 teaspoon nut butter and coconut flakes.
Top 21 Day Fix Recipes To Try At Home
Here are some of the most popular 21 day fix recipes that should make your work easier during this period:
Vegan Stir Fry (1)
Have you been looking for some good recipes for dinner that won’t compromise your meal plan? Well, you’re in luck. This recipe is simple and easy to make and replacing the sauce with a plan-friendly dressing like hot sauce will ensure you get everything you need out of it!
Here’s how you make it:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 slice red chili (optional)
- 1 sliced garlic clove
- 500g mixed vegetables like baby corn, broccoli and pak choi
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- Start by heating the oil in a large frying pan then fry the garlic and chili for about 1 minute.
- Add in the vegetables and toss until they’re well coated in the oil. Fry for about 3 minutes, add the chili and soy sauce and mix well.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
This recipe is courtesy of bbcgoodfood.com
Sweet Potato Egg Boat (3)
This creamy and crispy egg boat filled with avocado and bacon will leave you satiated and powered up to take on your day.
Here’s how you make it:
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 small sweet potato, roasted and hot from the oven
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- Parsley, chopped to garnish
- Freshly ground pepper, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potato on a rimmed baking sheet and slit it at the top.
- Squeeze its ends and use a fork to add ghee and mash alongside a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the center of the potato to create a well then add the egg.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes ( egg whites should set and yolk done to your liking).
- Remove from the oven and garnish.
This recipe is courtesy of brit.co
BetterMe app will provide you with a host of fat-frying fitness routines that’ll scare the extra pounds away and turn your body into a masterpiece! Get your life moving in the right direction with BetterMe!
Pulled Chicken Salad (2)
Have you been looking for some 21 day fix dinner ideas to try out? This vibrant, healthy, low-calorie dish that takes only 20 minutes to prepare may just be the answer.
Here’s how you make it:
- 1 small roasted chicken
- 3 coarsely grated carrots
- ½ red cabbage, cored and finely sliced
- 2 halved and thinly sliced red chili
- 5 sliced spring onions
- 2 heaped tablespoons of roasted salted peanuts, roughly crushed
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped with stalks
- 1 ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil for dressing
- 3 ½ tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set them aside.
- Next, remove the meat from the chicken before shredding into large chunks and popping in a large bowl.
- Add in the carrots, cabbage, chilies, spring onions and half the coriander.
- Toss them together with the dressing and pile onto a serving plate.
- Scatter over the remaining peanuts and coriander.
This recipe is courtesy of bbcgoodfood.com
The Bottom Line
Healthy meals doesn’t always have to mean “monotonous and boring.” This 21 day fix for beginners will add flavor and excitement to your meal plan in addition to several nutritious benefits.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- 10-minute stir-fry (2010, bbcgoodfood.com)
- Pulled chicken salad (2015, bbcgoodfood.com)
- This Sweet Potato Egg Boat Recipe Will Fuel You All Dang Day (well, Almost) (2018, brit.co)