What are chakra colors and meanings? This is something that someone who has gotten into meditation and is exploring aspects of this practice may find themselves asking. Chakras are things that are mostly talked about with people commenting on how they need to open and balance them.
If you have ever found yourself in the midst of a conversation and could not figure out heads or tails of what your friends were talking about, this article is here to enlighten you on the matter. We shall be shedding light on questions such as ‘how many chakras are there?’, ‘what do chakra colors mean?’, ‘what are the 7 chakra colors and meanings?’, as well as ‘chakra stone colors and meanings’, among many other such queries.
What Is The History Of Chakras?
Before delving into chakra colors and meanings, it is good to educate yourself about their history. If you were to ask western scholars about when the chakra system began, they would argue that it began in India around 1500 and 500 BC. They believe this to be true because this is when the earliest yoga texts, the Vedas, were written.
However, Indian scholars tend to differ with this belief. They believe that the system, its colors and meanings are much older than what the West believes. According to them, the information, techniques and knowledge of this system existed before ancient texts and had been passed down orally from teacher to student, through presence, speech, stories, prose, and verses (2).
How Many Chakras Are There?
The answer to this question varies depending on who you ask. While most of the world believes that the human body has seven chakras, others tend to differ. Indian author and spiritual master, Amit Ray recently claimed to have re-discovered more chakras within the human body. According to him, we have as many as 114 chakras within us (2).
However, some claim that this number is in the thousands. Some claim that there are about 88,000 chakras in the human body (3). While we may not be able to pin down exactly how many chakras are there in the human body, the main consensus is that we have seven main chakras within us.
What Are The Seven Chakras And Their Colors?
1. Root Chakra
Also known as the Muladhara, it is located at the base of your spine and represents the foundation of your life. When this chakra is open, it helps us feel grounded and helps us face our challenges with confidence.
2. Sacral Chakra
Also known as Swadhisthana, it is located in your lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel. The Swadhisthana is related to our sexual and creative energy. It also helps us figure out our emotions and relate to the emotions and feelings of others.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra
Also known as Manipura it also means City of Jewels and is located in your stomach area in the upper abdomen. The solar plexus chakra is related to our confidence, self-esteem and sense of control in our lives.
4. Heart Chakra
Also known as the Anahata it means unstuck and is located at the center of the chest, just above the heart. This is the middle chakra, and it acts as a bridge between your upper and lower chakras. The heart chakra influences our ability to give and receive love from others and to ourselves. Those with an open Anahata find it easy to empathize with others and show compassion.
5. Throat Chakra
Also known as the Vishuddha, it is found in the throat. It governs the neck, mouth, and tongue, and gives a voice to the heart and controls our ability to communicate thus allowing us to express ourselves truly and clearly.
6. Third-Eye Chakra
Also known as Ajna or as the brow chakra, it is located at the forehead right between the eyes. Those with an open Ajna have a better and stronger intuition and strong gut sense. They may also be quite wise, creative and have an ability to weigh all options and see the bigger picture.
7. Crown Chakra
Also known as Sahasrara, it means a thousand petal lotus and it sits at the crown of your head. The few lucky ones who do are able to access this chakra achieve a higher consciousness – a spiritual connection to themselves, others, and the universe.
Running a never-ending rat race, shoving trauma further and further away, falling into self-harming thought patterns, living life that’s eclipsed by constant anxiety and fear – this is what an average person goes through every day. Not addressing it will only pull you deeper into a downward spiral. BetterMe: Meditation & Sleep app will help you gain a new perspective on life and help you regain that long-lost internal balance!
What Are The 7 Chakra Colors And Meanings?
An important fact to note about the list of colors and meanings of chakra, is that all the colors follow the same pattern as that of the rainbow (4). According to Color Psychology, this gives a striking effect on our minds, and we associate them with the feeling of calmness (14, 13).
Here are the chakra colors and meanings:
Red chakra colors and meanings are all related to the physical. This is the most dense of all the colors and associated with the root chakra at the base of your spine, and thus, it acts as a kind of support, security or pillar anchoring us to the earth. In real life, red can mean or represent security. I.e., most road signs are usually painted this color which when it registers into our brains, signals to us to either slow down, stop, be present, and help us to remain safe. It also represents vitality and passion.
Orange is an enthusiastic and joyful color that can be easily associated with feelings of vitality, warmth, strength, compassion, and excitement. Visualizing this color can help get rid of pent-up emotions, and can boost sexuality, intimacy, emotional well-being, and self-expression in a person.
It is the color of the sun, and nothing in this world shines brighter than this magnificent star. Whenever you are feeling nervous, anxious, or lack confidence, visualize this color. Try connecting with your solar plexus chakra, tapping into the light within you. This color can help you to feel strong, confident, motivated, and powerful. Yellow represents personal power, identity, mastery, and co-creation, and energy.
While Valentine’s day may have you associating the heart with the color red, in the chakra chart system, this organ is represented by the color green. In nature, green is the color of life. It is a calming, healing and supportive color. Think about spring and all the new growth that comes with it. In our day to day lives, green represents our ability to give and receive love, extend compassion to ourselves and others, empathy, service to others, kindness, health, and healing from all trauma from loss, regret, self-loathing, and lack of self-worth.
Think of a sunny day with clear blue skies as far as the eye can see. The expanse of blue brings us a feeling of bliss, calm, and clears our mind. It can help us slow down and listen to the truths that are in our hearts and minds. In the 7 chakra colors and meanings, blue signifies truth in self-expression and clear communication without the judgment or rejection.
The color purple is often related to royalty, magic, and mystery can be used to represent a deeper knowledge and higher intuition. Some people go further to associate it with the ability to have psychic powers. Wearing or visualizing indigo or purple can help with nurturing and increasing your intuition, inner vision, and achieving higher consciousness.
Found at the crown of your head, it represents purity, enlightenment, faith, higher states of consciousness, and a feeling of connectedness to all beings. These two colours can help you transcend dualism making you feel evolved, exalted and spiritually awake.
What Are Chakra Stone Colors And Meanings?
These stones and crystals are often used during meditation. They are usually placed on a person’s body, on the energy centers depending on which chakra one wishes to activate. They are said to help release all the negativity, heal the body and release the life force energy, resulting in emotional release transforming negative energies into positive ones (8).
Crystals For The Root Chakra (9):
- Red Carnelian. Those who wear it use it for strength and courage and use it to cleanse and activate the root.
- Red Jasper. This stone is used to cleanse and balance the Muladhara.
- Bloodstone. It helps promote self-esteem and repel negativity, and is also used to cleanse and balance your energy..
- Black Tourmaline. It works to cleanse and balance the energy center and can be used to ground your spirit.
- Obsidian. It is used for protection.
Throat Chakra Stones (6):
- Amazonite. It is used to calm the nervous system as it helps promote emotional balance and protect against negative emotions.
- Turquoise. Those who wear it believe that it helps them express their thoughts without fear and dispels negativity.
- Aquamarine. This crystal is believed to help clear the mind, encourage honesty, and help you connect with hidden emotions. It also promotes tolerance and compassion.
- Lapis Lazuli. This throat crystal helps promote communication as it stimulates self-expression, creativity, and mental clarity.
Sacral Chakra Crystals (10):
- Orange And Coral Calcite, Citrine, Orange Carnelian, And Orange Aventurine. These stones help cleanse this sacral energy center while opening and activating it.
- Orange Carnelian, Snowflake Obsidian, Amber, Amethyst, Quartz And Tourmaline. They are used to help open, balance and soothe the sacral chakra.
Heart Chakra Crystals (7):
- Green aventurine. Used to activate the chakra, it helps focus and soothe emotions.
- Jade. This precious stone helps balance the energy center and promotes emotional and physical healing of the heart.
- Green tourmaline. It helps with rejuvenation and promotes emotional stability and healing.
- Rose quartz. Used to open and heal the heart center, it is said to aid sleep, calm emotions, dispel negativity, and promote peace.
Third-eye Chakra Stones (11):
- Amethyst. Used to open, stimulate, and balance this area, it is said to offer wisdom, healing, and protection from harm.
- Moldavite. This crystal helps cleanse, stimulate, and balance the chakra. The stone helps to promote a new perspective and enhance dreams and dream recall.
- Black Obsidian. It is good for expelling negativity and chakra blockages while helping enhance emotional control. This stone is also used to stimulate and balance the third-eye.
- Purple Fluorite. It dispels negativity while promoting intuition and mental clarity and focus.
Crown Chakra Crystals (5):
- Selenite. A relatively clear stone, it opens and activates the crown chakra and is said to clear congested energies, lift awareness to higher planes, remove stagnation, and compel you to move forward in life.
- Amethyst. The purple stone helps reveal self-destructive patterns of the ego, understand the root cause of one’s imbalance or disease, clarify the mind and is used to heal addictive behavior patterns.
- Clear Quartz. It helps amplify energy, brings heightened spiritual awareness, opens chakras, expands consciousness, encourages clarity, amplifies psychic abilities, stimulates the nervous system, and is said to help with the growth of hair and fingernails.
- Diamonds. This precious stone helps you access divine energies, facilitate a connection with higher domains, promote truth and vision, and clear energy fields.
BetterMe: Meditation & Sleep app can help you transmute stress into serenity, pull you up from the doldrums, free your mind from the cares and worries of the world, quell racing thoughts and infuse you with tranquility! Start using it now and change your life!
How To Use Chakra Stones?
There are several ways in which you can use these stones in order to absorb and use them for their healing properties
1. Place them on their respective body parts
As you lie or sit down to meditate, place each stone on the area of the chakra that it represents. This will help in opening, cleansing and balancing your chakras.
2. Add them to your jewellery
Chakra colors and meanings can always be with you if you add the stones to your favourite jewel pieces. The crystals can be worn in waist beads, earrings, necklaces, anklets, and bracelets.
3. Carry them as they are
If you cannot cut them to fit into dainty jewellery pieces, just pocket them or put them in your purse and go with them.
4. Add them to or use them as decorative pieces
Place a stone or two on your work desk, on the bedside table or even display them in the living room in your house.
The Bottom Line
Chakra colors and meanings are useful to anyone who wishes to have a better understanding of meditation, most especially chakra meditation. Through the use of these colors as well as the stones associated with them, you may be able to not only meditate better, but also open, cleanse, soothe and balance your chakras.
Understanding chakra colors and meanings can also help you harness, understand, and communicate your feelings better, without fear of rejection and judgement. They help love, compassion, and empathy flow within and without you as you share them with yourself and others all over the world.
While chakra stones are not an important part of meditation, they are told that may come in handy from time to time. Having the right color stone/crystal is important to help amplify your energy centers, keep you grounded, and stimulate your energy centers.
In real life walking around with the right chakra stones or wearing clothes in the right colour scheme can boost your confidence, build courage, passion and power and help detoxify and purify the body from bad habits such as alcohol or drugs.
Watch this relaxing meditation video to steer your mind away from the negative and not let your self-defeating inner dialogue dictate the rules.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any medical conditions. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- A Beginner’s Guide To The 7 Chakras (2020, mindbodygreen.com)
- A Brief History of the Chakras in Human Body (2019, researchgate.net)
- Chakra (n.d., britannica.com)
- Chakra Colors: Ultimate Guide to 7 Chakras and Their Meanings (n.d., colorpsychology.org)
- Crown Chakra Stones (2020, chakras.info)
- Health Benefits of Throat Chakra Stones (2020, healthline.com)
- Heart Chakra Stones (2020, chakras.info)
- How to Use Chakra Stones – The Complete Guide (n.d., meanings.crystalsandjewelry.com)
- Root Chakra Stones (2020, chakras.info)
- Sacral Chakra Stones (2020, chakras.info)
- Third Eye Chakra Stones (2020, chakras.info)
- What is Chakra Meditation? (n.d., mindworks.org)
- Why Are Chakra Colors So Important And What Do They Mean? (2017, blog.mindvalley.com)
- Your Breakdown of the 7 Unique Chakra Colors and Meanings (2019, wellandgood.com)