When it comes to weight loss, the battle of the wills lies between the mind and the matter. You may desperately want to lose weight, but something always makes you put it on hold. Coming up with excuses instead of plucking up the courage and changing your life will get you nowhere. Starting a fitness routine doesn’t call for any sweeping changes. Just one foot in front of the other. And with today’s availability of online fitness classes, health & fitness apps like BetterMe, YouTube videos, and blogs, you don’t even have to step out from the comfort of your home to build the body of your dreams. All you need to do is follow a home workout regimen. So, move your sofa around, and get started!
If you’re unsure of where to start, then perhaps this 5-day workout routine at home will serve as your step-by-step starter pack guide. Training five days a week can help you attain your fitness goal, be it maintaining your body weight, losing weight, or building muscle mass. Whatever your goal is, this home workout routine can bring you miles closer to a healthier and stronger you! In this article, we break down an effective 5-day workout routine at home into easy-to-follow steps and give you a couple of pointers on how to make the most out of each sweat sesh.
The Most Practical 5-Day Workout Routine At Home
The best home workout plan allows you to work out each muscle group on specific days of the week. According to Medical News Today, you are supposed to engage in a moderately intense exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week to keep your health in check.
Similarly, you are required to target various muscle groups each day. Targeting a specific muscle group consistently can lead to overtraining. Overtraining may lead to muscle soreness or injuries.
We have considered and applied these factors when designing this 5-day workout routine at home for weight loss and muscle gain (2). So, you have nothing to worry about! All you need for this workout is some dumbbells and you are ready to go. The workout plan is as follows:
Target: Chest, Shoulders, And Triceps
On the first day, you will focus on your chest, shoulders, and triceps. To kick off this routine, you will need to warm up for 5 to 10 minutes using some light cardio. After that, perform the following exercises:
To perform them, do the following:
- Place your hands on the floor and keep them shoulder-width apart.
- Extend your legs behind you, tighten your core, and keep your body straight and parallel to the floor.
- Slowly start lowering your body towards the ground, but rest a few inches from it. Hold in this position for some seconds before using your hands to push back to the starting stance.
- Do three sets of this exercise, each containing 10 reps.
Here are the steps of how to do these extensions:
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and over your head and stand upright with your feet hip-width apart.
- Bend your arms at the elbows and squeeze your triceps such that the weights slowly lower towards your back.
- Raise the arms back up and above your head.
- Do 3 sets, each with 10 repetitions (1).
The Shoulder Press
To perform the shoulder press, follow these steps to the latter:
- Stand upright with your feet at least hip-width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing forward.
- Raise your hands and the dumbbells overhead until your arms are stretched above you.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Also, do three sets each with 10 reps.
You are also encouraged to start this day’s circuit with a warm-up session. It can last anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Similarly, you have the option of engaging in any light cardio exercise such as jogging or skipping rope. After you are done with your warm-up, jump straight into performing these exercises:
Squats are also among the exercises in this 5-day workout routine at home using dumbbells.
However, if you do not have them, you can still use your bodyweight and perform what are known as bodyweight or air squats. Here is how you perform them:
- Stand upright with your feet slightly wider than the hip-width distance apart.
- Hold the dumbbell in your hands if you have one. If you do not have, proceed to cross your palms in front of you.
- Then start slowly squatting as if you are taking a seat. Keep your back straight, toes pointing forward, and heels firmly pressed on the ground. Hold in this squatting position for some seconds.
- Slowly come back up and repeat ten times. Do three sets.
Step-ups are a go-to leg exercise for a lot of avid gym-goers, so we couldn’t but include them in this 5-day workout routine at home, no equipment needed. To perform step-ups, do the following:
- Stand upright in front of a staircase, step or elevated platform with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Tighten your core and use your left foot to step onto the staircase.
- Shift your weight onto the left foot, exhale, and place the right foot on the staircase.
- Inhale and slowly lower your left foot to the standing stance, followed by the right leg.
- Do this until you complete ten reps on each leg and perform at least three sets.
Side Lunge Sweep
Here is how you perform such a sweep:
- Stand tall with your feet together and hands on your hips.
- Step out to one side and then lower into a lunge.
- Return to the starting position and do the same on the other side.
- Complete 3 sets each requiring you to do 15 reps on each side. If you want increased resistance to help you burn more calories, hold some dumbbells.
BetterMe app is a foolproof way to go from zero to a weight loss hero in a safe and sustainable way! What are you waiting for? Start transforming your body now!
Target: Back And Biceps
After starting with some warm-up exercises, you will be required to complete a circuit with the following exercises:
To perform these:
- Hold a dumbbell in each of your hands and let them be by your sides. You can also choose to sit or stand.
- Bend at the elbow and slowly raise one arm up and toward your chest.
- Slowly then lower it and switch sides.
- Perform 10 reps on each arm and later complete 3 sets.
You will need a pair of dumbbells for this. Here is how you perform this exercise:
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet hip-width apart. Slightly bend your knees forward to arch your back.
- Stretch your arms to the side while tightening your arm and shoulder muscles.
- Lower your arms and then lift them to repeat the exercise.
- Do this ten to fifteen times and complete three sets.
Target: The Core
Start with a warm-up before performing the following exercises:
Here is how you do a plank:
- Start in a push-up position with your arms on the floor and elbows bent.
- Tighten your abs, keep your back straight, and then hold this position for 30 or more seconds.
- Complete 3 sets each lasting for 20 or 30 seconds.
The Oblique Crunch
Below are the steps on how to do an oblique crunch:
- Get on your hands and feet on the floor. Keep your hands shoulder-width apart. Let your feet be behind you and balance on the balls of your feet. You will be in a plank position.
- Engage your core and lift your left leg. Bend it on the right side and bring your knee towards your left elbow.
- Return the left leg to the starting position and do the same on the other leg.
- Do ten reps on each leg and a total of three sets.
Target: The Glutes
The last day makes this plan an effective 5-day workout routine at home for women. It is because it targets the glutes, an area that most women want to tone and sculpt. Like any other day, you will also start with some warm-up exercises. Immediately after the warm-up, dive straight into the routine. It entails the following exercises:
The Curtsy Lunge
This is one of the best butt exercises that you simply have to do if you want a perky booty. To perform it, follow these steps:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- While maintaining your weight on the left foot, lift your right one and cross it behind the left one. Proceed to then bend both knees as if you are taking a bow.
- Return to the standing position and then switch legs.
- For each leg, complete 10 reps. Do three sets of the curtsy lunge.
The Glute Bridge
The next best exercise for your glutes is the glute bridge. The name might even be shedding light
on the beast it is in working your glutes. To perform it, do the following:
- Lie on a mat facing the ceiling.
- Bend your knees and firmly rest your heels on the floor.
- Keep your back straight and arms by your sides.
- Tighten your core and exhale as you lift your butt from the floor to raise your hips. Clench your glutes when you raise before lowering your butt back to the ground.
- Also, complete three sets each with ten repetitions.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- Frequency of exercise for body fat loss: a controlled, cohort study (2009, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Role of Physical Activity for Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance (2017, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)