17 Day Diet Meal Plan That Will Translate Into Sustainable Weight Loss
Nowadays, there is a great variety of different workout and diet plans, the main goal of which is weight loss. Some diets are based on one product, which is actually not very healthy, especially if those diets last a long time; some diets are based on excluding some specific component, as for example gluten-free diet, which is inescapable for people who have a gluten intolerance and is much less harmful than the previous type of diet, as it is well-balanced and includes gluten-substituting foods. They all promise different results and different ways of reaching them, and it may be quite difficult to find the right one for you. If you are looking for a short-term diet to jump-start your weight loss journey, then this 17 day diet is the perfect choice for you.
What is a 17 day diet?
The 17 day diet was first introduced through the book “The 17-Day Diet”, published in 2010 and written by the medical doctor Michael Moreno. The promised result is 10-15 pounds (5-7,5 kg) in 17 days (1). It consists of four different cycles, which keep your metabolism in a fat-burning state. Each circle consists of different food combinations and has a different caloric count (2). This diet plan is a great choice if you have an endomorph body type (3). Despite the fact that it’s a well-balanced plan overall, for some it might seem inconvenient. Especially if you are short on the money or snowed under work without any wiggle room for tedious grocery shopping or never-ending cooking (1).
The diet is accompanied by exercising, which also promotes pound shedding. Each cycle requires different workout strategies. During the first two cycles, you should spend around 20 minutes a day on light exercise, such as walking. In the third cycle you should ready for nearly an hour of aerobic exercise every second-third day. During the final, fourth cycle, you will have to continue with your weekdays exercising routine, while adding an hour workout on weekends (1).
What to eat and what to avoid on the 17 day diet?
At the beginning, alcohol is prohibited, however, closer to the final stage, you will be allowed to throw one back. Also, you can only eat fruits before 2 p.m. In general, you are allowed to eat:
- Lean protein
- Antioxidant-rich food
- Good fats
During the first cycle you should decrease your intake of starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits. During the whole diet, you should keep away from:
- Processed food
- Too much salt
- Greasy food
The diet cycles
The beginning cycle focuses on stimulating your fat-burning processes, clearing away sugars and decreasing fat deposition. It eliminates all sugar and refined carbohydrates. You can consume fat in the form of olive and flaxseed oil, also lean protein. Probiotic intake is highly recommended.
The main goal of this phase is to encourage your body to melt pounds by resetting your metabolism, increasing, and decreasing the caloric intake. This cycle is a bit less restrictive than the first and includes everything you were allowed to have on the first cycle, plus some whole grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, and some higher-fat fish and meats.
This one includes more additional foods and aims at the development of good eating habits. During cycle 3 you consume everything that you ate during the first two cycles, plus some whole-grain breads and pastas, high-fiber cereals, fattier types of meat, an unlimited range of vegetables, and 2 servings of fruits a day. Also, you can consume a moderate amount of previously restricted alcohol.
The final phase – cycle 4 is focused on sustaining your target weight result, while allowing you to add more of your favorite foods. It includes all the foods from the previous cycles and 1-3 free-choice meals between Friday dinner and Sunday dinner.
Dropping pounds by the dozens without putting yourself through the wringer is everyone’s weight loss pipe dream. But what if we told you that the BetterMe app can make that happen? Keep yourself in prime shape with our fat-blasting workouts, delicious budget-sparing recipes, and body-transforming challenges with our app!
Example of the 17 day diet meal plan for a day of each cycle:
- Breakfast: two scrambled egg whites, half of a grapefruit, a cup of green tea.
- Lunch: large green salad with tuna, dressed with two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and one tablespoon of olive oil, a cup of green tea.
- Snack: one serving of low-sugar fruit, six ounces of sugar-free plain yogurt with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar-free jam of your choice.
- Dinner: grilled chicken, a moderate amount of such vegetables as green beans, broccoli, artichokes, eggplant, etc., a cup of green tea.
- Breakfast: two scrambled egg whites, half of a grapefruit or other fresh fruit, a cup of green tea.
- Lunch: large chicken vegetable soup or grilled chicken with steamed vegetables, medium baked potato with one tablespoon fat-free sour cream, six ounces sugar-free fruit-flavored yogurt, a cup of green tea.
- Snack: a cup of fresh raspberries with one cup of sugar-free fruit-flavored yogurt, Mediterranean spread with half of a cup of pureed garbanzo beans with olive oil, and cucumber slices.
- Dinner: grilled sirloin steak, tossed salad dressed with two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and one tablespoon of olive oil, a cup of green tea.
- Breakfast: a whole-wheat toast, one poached egg, half of a grapefruit, a cup of green tea.
- Lunch: Caesar salad with grilled chicken breast, two cups of salad vegetables, and two tablespoons of light Caesar dressing, one whole-wheat toast, one serving of fresh fruits, a cup of green tea.
- Snack: one serving of probiotic-rich food of your choice (yogurt, kefir, kimchi, edamame), one frozen fruit bar
- Dinner: roasted pork tenderloin, 1-2 cups of mixed salad, dressed with two tablespoons of fat-free dressing, a cup of green tea.
- Breakfast: two scrambled eggs, one medium seasonal fruit, a cup of green tea.
- Lunch: broiled hamburger, sliced or stewed tomatoes, a cup of green tea.
- Snack: a cup of fresh berries with six tablespoons of sugar-free yogurt, a cup of green tea.
- Dinner: stir-fried vegetables and chicken strips with a tablespoon of olive oil, a cup of green tea.
- The 17-day diet diet promises fast and effective weight loss;
- The pace of the initial weight loss is unsustainable and is likely mostly water weight;
- Some of the claims, such as not being allowed fruit after 2 pm don’t have much scientific evidence behind them;
- However the diet can lead to effective weight loss as long as overall calorie intake is reduced;
- The later stages of the diet are balanced and therefore relatively safe and sustainable;
Before following a new nutritional plan, please visit your nutritionist or dietitian.
Do you think that a single diet plan is not enough? You’re absolutely right! Take up a challenge and try this 20-min Full Body Workout At Home to get a snatched body.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!