With age, the same amount of exercise and the same diet that worked in your 20s does not bring the desired results. Working off a pizza and a bottle of wine used to not be a big deal, but not as are in the 30s. Our metabolism slows down as we get older, and it’s often harder to lose weight. However, on the contrary to what we hear in the media, it’s still possible, and just as easy, with these suggestions!
If you follow these lesser-known tips, you will be able to lose weight quickly and easily!
- Incorporate strength training. As we age, we lose about 3% of muscle mass per decade, which means our bodies burn fewer calories, and cardio is not as effective as it was in our 20s. To keep the fat burning going strong and lose those pounds, lift weights 3 times a week.
- Don’t skip the protein. A recent study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that, to maintain muscle mass and keep your metabolism going, it’s optimal to include protein sources with every meal. Try protein shakes for breakfast, salads with lean meats for lunch, and fish or tofu for dinner.
- Rest up! Sleep and relaxation become even more important as the stress and responsibilities pile up. Did you know that stress is linked to weight gain? Try meditating and taking quality time for yourself.
- Thinking of grabbing a Zero Calorie soda? Think again. An article published in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine found that artificial sweeteners were proven to increase sugar cravings and prompt those who consume zero-calorie sweeteners to overeat later. Swap soda for a fruit infused water and see those pounds go in no time!
- Get your friends on board! It’s always more fun to exercise with a buddy, you can keep each other on track with the meals, and shed pounds together!
Now that you know some unexpected tips and tricks, go ahead, try them, and see that getting in shape is not only possible, but also easy, and don’t forget that the fastest way to lose weight is with BetterMe personalized meal plans!